Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

I really think the McCrory building redevelopment project is at a standstill. It's got to be. I just rode past it Sunday and it looks the same as it did several months earlier.

Far from it. I drive past it every day to and from work. Last week they were lifting in bundles of sheet rock with a crane as I drove by. The scaffolds on wheels were in the same place for weeks on the top floor and you could see it from the ground because it was next to one of the open windows. It has been moved.

• 2 weeks later...

The%20Nick.jpg

Pic of the new Nickelodeon when it moves to Main Street near corner of Taylor. That should really help the evening activity on Main Street. Someone told me that they want to put a coffee shop there during the day.

That would be cool - a coffee shop and Ben & Jerry's stand. One of my favorite things about going to a movie at the Nickelodeon is that they have Ben & Jerry's - and beer and wine. The Nick will have 2 screens at the new location, which will be awesome. I think with the completion of the next part of the Main Street beautification and the Nick's relocation, this part of Main Street will become a nightlife destination.

Jammin Jazz - The Underground Lounge has now opened in the old Jammin Java Location. Walked by a grabbed a menu - the best thing is that they are open until midnight and the owner said they will be soon serving adult beverages. It is suppose to have live Jazz and open breakfast, lunch, and dinner! Once I try it out - I will report back - and if someone does please let us know

Jammin Jazz - The Underground Lounge has now opened in the old Jammin Java Location. Walked by a grabbed a menu - the best thing is that they are open until midnight and the owner said they will be soon serving adult beverages. It is suppose to have live Jazz and open breakfast, lunch, and dinner! Once I try it out - I will report back - and if someone does please let us know

That's good news and there will now be 2 places on Main Street featuring live jazz. Maybe this will be a future trend.

• 2 weeks later...

I heard that Wachovia is suppose to announce on April 1 some MAJOR exterior and interior renovations to 1441 Main (across from Art Museum) and making it their HQ for Columbia.

I also heard that a couple of months ago at a downtown meeting I attend each month. I've kept it mum so as not to have disappointment follow. I heard they are going to reskin the exterior and do some pitched roofing.

When is the Sheraton set to open?

I still can't imagine the opening of the Sheraton is close. It's still a mess from the street view.

As for Wachovia renovating 1441 Main, that will be exciting. As a matter of fact, pretty much the ONLY view I have out of my office window is this building...so I'll have a close up view of the renovations. :) I'll be sure to post some pics when they get started.

Well, I'm glad they are going to jazz it up a little. I'm not sure what this does for the functionality of the building, but it will be more visually appealing. Is the brighter glass exterior just a factor of the computer rendering or is the glass going to be replaced as well?