Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

I like the top. It breaks up the boxiness of the building and makes it even more distinct from the neighboring building. It would be even better if they would rehab the ground floor of the building as well and make it more pedestrian-friendly.

Edit: Per the article, the renovation will also include ground-floor video displays showing area events and possibly TV broadcasts, and a two-floor atrium leading to a revamped Wachovia branch.

Retail/restaurant space would be even more preferable, but this will represent a significant aesthetic improvement.

You have to look at it for a long time. Also, like I said, the angle is bad. Imagine seeing it from straight on. And the design is subject to change, one article said. And it will have to get by the DDRC. I saw it on WIS on my 42" wide screen T.V. and it looked better.

My criticism is actually based on the opinion that there's nothing wrong with the building's boxiness in the first place. It just could use a new exterior treatment. It has clean modern lines that should remain intact, IMO. Adding that sort of postmodern element at the top clashes with the overall style. I'm sure the finished product will look better. I don't mean to sound like a design snob, but I think the concept itself is flawed, no matter how well it's executed.

Edited by emerging.me

Well the building isn't a bad-looking box, I agree with that. But I like the feature in terms of the context of the overall skyline, particularly when you envision the all-glass tower that will be going up just up the street. I think the glass feature will play off the tower in a rather interesting way.

As far as the glass on the building, it appears as though that it's about as light now as it is depicted in the rendering:

columbia_skyline_vptlowres.jpg

61-Wachoviacrown.standalone.prod_affiliate.74.jpg

The story in The State today mentions offers made to Wachovia to move to the Vista or across the river to Lexington County, which were rejected. That's definitely good news. SCANA's abandonment of Main Street is enough to deal with; news of another major Main Street tenant leaving wouldn't have exactly been something to shout with joy about.

Renovation plans include installing clear windows all along the sidewalk on Main Street that will show off a new lobby with video screens and a new urban-style bank branch that will replace the existing one.

Kudos to Wachovia for staying on Main Street, though I'm not totally sold on the rooftop feature. I'm sure it will look good when it's completed and the building will appear 2 or 3 stories taller, so that is a good side benefit. The white strip near the top and on the sides looks like it will add a good bit of light to the building, ala the Bank of America Plaza. I hope the light is a color other than white, however. Some blue would be nice.

Edited by waccamatt

Wachovia's choice to stay downtown does not suprise me. Wachovia as a corporation has shown its commitment to the urban core in Charlotte by building multiple office towers, and its newer one is one of the best public spaces in uptown Charlotte. It seems only logical that they would stay in Columbia... particularly as SCANA's move out of downtown opens u p a lot of office space.

In a way, it's almost like downtown is getting two new towers--the new, redesigned Wachovia HQ and the Tower at Main and Gervais. I think the rooftop sculpture on this tower may make it the most distinctive tower in the skyline.

Here are the ground floor renderings:

newWach_groundfloor.jpg

new.jpg

newWach_groundfloor3.jpg

Perhaps you've forgotten what this building actually looks like. The marble is not an addition; it's what's already there. The marble pillars cannot be removed as that would seriously compromise the stability of the structure. Although not a shot of the building from the front, this one shows what I'm talking about. 1441 Main is to the far right.

You probably can get a better idea with this shot that I took sometime last year:

SylvanBrosclock.jpg

Also, check out this shot of the main entrance from Emporis.

Right now, the glass that exists at street level is dark and reflective, and the renderings represent a vast improvement. The other changes are what looks to be decorative lights on the marble pillars, the planters in front of the pillars (looks like they could be made of granite), and the Wachovia sign. These changes will make it at least interesting to stroll by the building, especially with the monitors. Right now, it's pretty much repulsive from a pedestrian point of view.