Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

Let me take a look into my photo archive and see if there are any other gaps. Corgi is right, however, that gap is in front of the Arcade building where the basement extends out to the street.

There are no other gaps. I have been aware of that space ever since they wrapped up the streetscaping, and the basement extending to the street is the reason for it.

So were mature shade trees removed during the streetscaping? I do know that some of the larger trees were allowed to remain, as can be seen at the corner of Main and Washington in the picture I posted and in the picture below:

Yes, and they only left the ones at the intersections. Main Street was lined with trees that were all the same age as the ones in your pictures. For whatever reason it wasn't as picturesque as Gville's Main Street, but there was much more shade than there is today.

Palmettos are very attractive trees, but they are not shade streets.

They now have a variety of shade trees all along the street that are going only into their third or maybe even second full growing season. They are babies. We have to wait. How soon we forget. Most of the trees along Main were not shade trees. There were lots of trees no suitable to the urban environment: dogwoods, pears, etc. Very few grand trees came out to make way for the new sidewalks and new curbing. The halfway point of each block has oaks, while the majority of the trees lining the street are pistachios (sp). They've done the same thing in Five Points - variety, baby trees right now, just wait. Geez. :)

The point I was bringing up wasn't so much about the age of the trees. I know that with any streetscaping, saplings will have to be planted. However, the point I was bringing up is that there must be consistency in the way the saplings are planted in order to maximize the canopy effect upon maturation of the saplings.

The point I was bringing up wasn't so much about the age of the trees. I know that with any streetscaping, saplings will have to be planted. However, the point I was bringing up is that there must be consistency in the way the saplings are planted in order to maximize the canopy effect upon maturation of the saplings.

But, to reiterate, the space in the photo is there only because no trees can be planted along that stretch due to the basement of the Arcade being under there. There are no other such spaces along the street on any of the three blocks with the new streetscaping. Except for that space, the consistency is exact, and when the trees are mature the canopy will be full, with few spots where the sun hits the sidewalk. The palmetto trees will be only accent pieces.

Edited by CorgiMatt

I suppose one thing to consider is that on Main St we have some skyscrapers, which provide shade during parts of the day. Also, if the destination is worth going to, the temperature will not matter. For reference I cite the following: Village at Sandhill, Mount Pleasant Town Center, King Street. None of these have extensive shade (some more than others, of course), so its worth considering how this might apply to Main Street in Columbia.

I suppose one thing to consider is that on Main St we have some skyscrapers, which provide shade during parts of the day. Also, if the destination is worth going to, the temperature will not matter. For reference I cite the following: Village at Sandhill, Mount Pleasant Town Center, King Street. None of these have extensive shade (some more than others, of course), so its worth considering how this might apply to Main Street in Columbia.

I did think about how King Street has no canopy, but is quite the destination in itself. I do think it would have been even more pleasant with one, though.

^There's a partial canopy there now, but it isn't consistent due to the varying age of the trees. And that's understandable. It makes me wonder if there were any mature trees along Greenville's Main Street or Charlotte's Tryon Street when those streetscapings took place, since all of the mature trees appear to be roughly the same age.

I can answer for Greenville. Our city's Main Street was four lanes with narrow sidewalks and really no decent parking in front of the stores. It was an ugly, completely hardscaped setting without natural shade. Here is an old photo looking up Main Street from the Main Street Bridge (now the Falls Park and RiverPlace area). Click on "zoom" to view a larger image.

For those who haven't seen it yet, here is a video that is helpful in understanding a little bit of the history behind Greenville's current Main Street. You may have to adjust your volume to hear it:

Edited by Skyliner

^I hadn't seen that photo, and the two older ones on this page don't show any existing trees on Main Street, so I'm assuming there were really none previously planted along the street before the streetscaping took place in the 70's, or at least none that were grand enough and worth preserving.

I guess my point here is that it's not worth removing mature trees along Main Street just to have consistency in the canopy in terms of the relative age of the trees.

^I hadn't seen that photo, and the two older ones on this page don't show any existing trees on Main Street, so I'm assuming there were really none previously planted along the street before the streetscaping took place in the 70's, or at least none that were grand enough and worth preserving.

I guess my point here is that it's not worth removing mature trees along Main Street just to have consistency in the canopy in terms of the relative age of the trees.

I absolutely agree, especially when the new ones aren't even the same variety and the remaining mature ones act as anchors at the intersections. The variety will prevent monotony as well. The important thing is there is a pattern there that is consistent. Analyze it on your next visit.

Speaking of variety, there seem to be at least three species of trees along Main. Of course, there are the palmetto trees. The mature ones are oak trees, I think.

There seems to be a small gap on the left side in this photo in front of Meridian. Looks like a perfect spot to plant a sapling:

Lookingtowardscapitol-1.jpg

Here's a visual example of a street in Washington, DC that obvious does its job at the street level without the presence of a heavy canopy:

1_0410realestate.jpg

Now that I think about it, aside from residential areas, I can't think of one major corridor in DC that has a big tree canopy. And DC is an intensely urban city.

Is that U Street?

Now that I think about it, aside from residential areas, I can't think of one major corridor in DC that has a big tree canopy. And DC is an intensely urban city.

Thats a good point. Perhaps we are making too much out of this trees thing. But then you have to remember that none of our cities, except perhaps Charleston, are even close to what you might call "intensely urban." What cities like DC lack in tree-lined streets, they make up for in quality parks, squares, etc.

Most of you may disagree with this, but I personally feel that in addition to the tree canopy's comfortable shade and natural/green appeal, it creates a more intimate pedestrian experience on the sidewalks. The architecture is still quite visible, but the larger buildings don't appear as starkly dominating over individuals walking below. The leaves and branches act as a pleasant ceiling, creating an "outdoor mall" effect.