Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

I want to make sure everyone knows that according to The State's article, the address for Duncan Donuts is 1202 Main Street, and that is not the old Capitol Restaurant or whatever it was called, where legislators made laws for decades, not the old New Orleans-style restaurant behind First Citizens, but the space between #1 Main and Capital News and Maps (formerly Capitol Newsstand). Of course, there's always the possibility that the newspaper got it slightly wrong and that it will be in the old New Orleans-style building.

This is certainly good news for that part of Main Street, especially with the Tower going up just across the street.

Since NBSC will be moving into the new tower, what will happen to their existing building? It would be nice if someone could buy it and totally redo the ground floor to include street level retail. I suppose it's not that far fetched since Wachovia is doing something like that with 1441 Main.

This is certainly good news for that part of Main Street, especially with the Tower going up just across the street.

Since NBSC will be moving into the new tower, what will happen to their existing building? It would be nice if someone could buy it and totally redo the ground floor to include street level retail. I suppose it's not that far fetched since Wachovia is doing something like that with 1441 Main.

It would be awesome to see some retail in the ground floor of the current NBSC Building. I've always thought that building was a great example of 1970's architecture.

Announcing Posh, Rooftop, Perk Up by Starbucks and the Main Street Tavern, on Main Street in the Sheraton. It is scheduled to open in a week. Check out Temple Ligon's article and pics from The Columbia Star newspaper.

http://www.thecolumbiastar.com/news/2008/0...siness/034.html

Edited by CorgiMatt

Announcing Posh, Perk Up by Starbucks and the Main Street Tavern, on Main Street in the Sheraton. It is scheduled to open in a week. Check out Temple Ligon's article and pics from The Columbia Star newspaper.

http://www.thecolumbiastar.com/news/2008/0...siness/034.html

I can't wait for it to open to check it out. Looks like a great asset for Columbia

I rode up Main Street tonight about 9 p.m. The exterior of the Sheraton is lit up beautifully at sidewalk level and a group of about 8 people were walking out of the front door just as I was passing. What a bright addition to the downtown core. BTW, the Rooftop Restaurant won't open until August 30th according to an ad I saw when I googled "sheraton hotel columbia."

I went to see and be seen at the Sheraton's ribbon cutting tonight. That place is sweet!! I didn't realize it, but they refurbished the original windows. Also they have a contract with the YMCA for use of the Y's pool. The Main Street Tavern is so nice and beautiful. Posh is so swanky! Perk up is nicely placed on the ground floor and is so cool. The safe is so unique! The rooms have the perfect touch. The final touches on the exterior colors are exquisite. What a jewel.

• 3 weeks later...

This just in. There was an explosion of some sort under the sidewalk next to the Sheraton Hotel. The hotel was evacuated. The fire did not extend into any part of the Sheraton. The city's fire chief says he suspects the explosion occurred from some kind of live wire under the sidewalk. There are no injuries.

• 3 weeks later...

So how's the streetscaping coming along? Anyone got any shots of the progress?

I noticed that the west side of the block between Hampton and Taylor is almost finished; the road has been paved and the bricks are in place on the sidewalk. This is the section in front of the Columbia Museum of Art. I'm glad this block will easily be completed before the big exhibit of Impressionists at the museum next spring.