Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

• 4 weeks later...

^Guess no one knows about that one.

In other news, the 2nd phase of the streetscaping is shaping up really good. Had a chance to check out the progress yesterday. The median has already been done, as has the Columbia Museum of Art side between Hampton and Taylor. There's also some work going on on the Hampton side of the art museum.

A new store called Uptown is taking the place of Capitol (their misspelling, not mine) City News and Maps next door to the soon-to-open Duncan Donuts. It promises to appeal to both the downtown worker and the tourist. The owner looked all over Columbia and is excited about her chosen location. It is a win for the retail recruiter hired by City Center Partnership last year.

http://www.thestate.com/business/story/542183.html

• 3 weeks later...

An unnamed company has signed a contract to buy the Palmetto Center (the SCANA building). Attached is a starting point for an in-depth look at Main Street, provided by today's The State newspaper. They have included a photo gallery and several related articles about "South Carolina's Main Street."

http://www.thestate.com/business/story/567524.html

That was a good set of articles, and it's really good news about the Palmetto Center. Hopefully it will be a company that provides just as many white-collar jobs. This will probably also expedite the plans for two city-owned garages in the CBD.

Facade improvements and restoration needs to be a part of the ongoing revitalization of Main. The Brennan Building's facade could certainly use a lot of TLC.

655-mainst04.slideshow_main.prod_affiliate.74.jpg

I really wonder what the original facade of King's Jewelers and the Army Navy store look like.

The State newspaper today says Wachovia will place its name on the former 1st Union building, put clear glass at ground level along Main Street, and put the vertical faux column look on the exterior, but they have canned their plans to put the logo sculpture on top of the building. The renovations are expected to start in early 2009 and be completed in the fall of 2009. So, apparently they are keeping their name despite Wells Fargo's buying them out.

The merger shouldn't impact the project if they are planning to keep a presence in Columbia. At least they are going to slightly improve the street face of the building. IMO that is more important than the crown thing at the top.

Speaking as a design critic, I'm glad to hear this news. I'd still rather they just modify the street-level and leave the rest of the facade alone -- whether the style of the building is deemed "outdated" or not. I'd rather have a classic '60s/'70s design than some sort of hodgepodge Frankenstein monster of a building. The previously released rendering did not exactly inspire confidence.