Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

That is probably the best news I've heard in quite a while for Columbia. That street frontage is horrendous. I can't wait to see what they come up with. If they can gut the lobby and turn it inside out so that there is some street retail, then they will have made a major accomplishment.

This is really good news; the Capitol Center is just the pits at street level. It's also good that the new owners may coordinate renovation efforts to be in sync with the new Main and Gervais tower in terms of how it relates to the street and the plaza. This news represents a trend that I hope continues. First the new Wachovia regional headquarters, now the Capitol Center. Maybe something similar will happen with the Palmetto Center since it is under contract. I hope that if the current NBSC building gets a new owner the same will be considered.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I noticed today that the corners of Blanding and Main Street had not been streetscaped. The work on that particular block just stopped a few yards before you reached Blanding Street. It seemed a bit odd that they would not finish that block, or that they would wait until the next phase to complete the work.

Thanks for the pictures......I think the streetscaping looks great, hopefully private investment will follow. It is quite odd that they stopped the improvement midblock, I believe your 3rd picture shows that.

I would not say mid-block. Again, it was a few yards from the corner of Main and Blanding.

As for the picture above, that angle is actually facing down one of the side streets. That is as far as the streetscaping is supposed to go.

Edited by dobboard

Usually intersection improvements are done all at the same time, so stopping before the intersection at Blanding makes sense.

That certainly makes sense, but I do not believe that was the case during Phase I. If my memory serves me correctly, they streetscaped all the way to Hampton Street the last go around. Perhaps I am wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

It looks like Main Street is starting to make its move to become a more significant complement to the Vista and Five Points in downtown Columbia. I was just reading something the other day that referred to downtown nodes in America's cities. Main Street should become more of a player among Columbia's downtown nodes.

http://www.columbiabusinessreport.com/news...-on-main-street