Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

To reinforce my point, we are fortunate to have a SCANA employee in our midst. I can't say for sure if this is a representative sample of all employees, but something tells me it's more than just this one person who has- as the SCANA new release put it- "mixed emotions" about the move.

You'll note that SCANA had to add in a cafeteria, which I'm certain was designed to placate employees who will now have far fewer lunch options.

Is that quote mine? I didn't go back and read the original thread to find out, but that sounds like something I would type. LOL I've actually softened my opinion about the move, and actually, I'm looking forward to the new campus after seeing how great it's going to be. I think I was just pissed when the annoucement was first made. My first choice would have been for us to build a new building downtown. But I didn't have any input into the decision, so I've accepted our beautiful new campus. Also, the cafeteria was in the plans all along. Actually, we have a cafeteria now in the Palmetto Center...on the 11th floor. But I usually walk somewhere else to eat, as the food is only average. Hopefully it will be MUCH better in the new cafeteria. I have plenty of pics from the new campus, but I don't think they're supposed to be public information just yet.

Anyone go to the Urban Tour? How was it? I wanted to go but something came up and just couldn't make it.

I went, but the "other half" was being a grumpy biatch...so we didn't stay long. LOL I was surprised at how many people actually were there. They were selling beer on every corner, with people going in and out of the businesses carrying them...but of course the religious nuts at Chic Fil A had a beer nazi guy telling people they couldn't come in with a beer. (I hope it cost them business) I was mostly looking forward to seeing the future home of the Nick, but the previously mentioned "grump" kept that from happening. I didn't think this was publicized very well, so I was suprised at the big crowd.

Those are excellent pics, Brasil! I can't wait to see the cool art deco facade of the theater (and its interior of course) after the renovations are done.

I went, but the "other half" was being a grumpy biatch...so we didn't stay long. LOL I was surprised at how many people actually were there. They were selling beer on every corner, with people going in and out of the businesses carrying them...but of course the religious nuts at Chic Fil A had a beer nazi guy telling people they couldn't come in with a beer. (I hope it cost them business) I was mostly looking forward to seeing the future home of the Nick, but the previously mentioned "grump" kept that from happening. I didn't think this was publicized very well, so I was suprised at the big crowd.

I'm surprised you consider that a "big crowd". From the pics, it seems like a small gathering--but definitely not what I'd call a crowd, much less a big one, lol. Main Street looks deserted as usual, except for the hopeful and curious folks on the tour.

I've got some photos from the Urban Tour, also. I'll post them after I get them uploaded to my website. I thought there was a nice crowd last night, but not huge by any means. There would have been a better crowd if it hadn't been at the same time as the Five Points After 5 concert.

Edited by waccamatt

Those are excellent pics, Brasil! I can't wait to see the cool art deco facade of the theater (and its interior of course) after the renovations are done.

I'm surprised you consider that a "big crowd". From the pics, it seems like a small gathering--but definitely not what I'd call a crowd, much less a big one, lol. Main Street looks deserted as usual, except for the hopeful and curious folks on the tour.

Seems to me that if you weren't there, then you don't know....hmmm??? :) I WAS there, and it was a nice sized crowd. Sorry, you're gonna have to try again to find something negative to post about.

Seems to me that if you weren't there, then you don't know....hmmm??? :) I WAS there, and it was a nice sized crowd. Sorry, you're gonna have to try again to find something negative to post about.

Brycola - i was there and I agree there was a VERY nice size crowd. The event spread over 5 blocks so maybe it doesn't look so dense but I know around the museum and by the shops across the street it was slammed around 7pm and very dense

The Lourie's building will be put for auction on May 14 with minimum bid of $799,000. The building had been appraised at more than $2 million at the time the store closed. Later, the sale price was cut to $1.4 million.

I truly hope something great comes to that space, especially with the Nick moving in next door.

The building received no bids at the auction today. That is just sad.

I really hate it for the Lourie family. I hope someone submits a sealed bid. If I were them, I would hold onto it until the economy improves, it can't drop in value much more as it is.

If the city weren't broke, they should buy it for some sort of future use. Sooner or later some non-profit or some such entity will need some space, and at $18 a square foot that is cheap as hell, particularly for the good condition it is in.

Lourie's building receives no bids

The outlook for commercial real estate is in the gutter right now. Even if the city didn't have a reserve fund I'd be against them buying it because the commercial real estate market is next in line to crash. This too shall pass.

In the meantime they still have the sealed bids to open.

The outlook for commercial real estate is in the gutter right now. Even if the city didn't have a reserve fund I'd be against them buying it because the commercial real estate market is next in line to crash. This too shall pass.

In the meantime they still have the sealed bids to open.

In the case of this building, it has ALREADY crashed. You can't build a dog house for $18 a square foot. If the seller of any property knows that a government is interested in it, the asking price would go up under any circumstances. This is a steal, in an area that the city is already deeply invested in. Provided the city had the funds, they would be stupid not to at least consider it.

Getting financing is probably the biggest reason no one stepped forward. A city can always sell bonds.