Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

^^^I find this really exciting. It makes me wish I lived in Cola right now so I could support this venue.

I didn't realize (although I'm not suprised) that the Sheraton Rooftop had become so popular. Maybe with the White Mule, the Rooftop, the Nick, etc, Main Street will finally begin to emerge as a nighttime destination.

This IS fabulous news and our best hope yet for Main Street FINALLY becoming an alive and happening place in the evening! Woo-hoo!

I was hoping it wouldn't take long for this building to be inhabited once again, and I'm glad it's not. Let's just hope the new retailer won't turn out to be Main Street's 12th wig shop.

Why do you always pick on International Wigs? Huuuuuuuuuuuuummmmmmmmmmmmmmmph!

• 2 weeks later...

Wow, we haven't heard anything about this since it was first proposed in Oct. '06. Good to see that the church still has plans to build on Main Street. I also like the renderings. It looks like it will be quite a grand structure and quite distinctive as Greek Orthodox architecture tends to be.

I'm glad to see progress on the Greek Orthodox Church - only 2 months until the Greek Festival!

In other Main Street info I understand there will be a place called Mast General Store opening in the ground floor of the old Louries building on Main Street. I don't know much about them, but they seem to have an interesting mix of merchandise from what I understand.

In other Main Street info I understand there will be a place called Mast General Store opening in the ground floor of the old Louries building on Main Street. I don't know much about them, but they seem to have an interesting mix of merchandise from what I understand.

Wow, that seems like HUGE news! Mast General Store. It probably won't help much with evening traffic (Greenville's closes at 6 on weekdays, but 9 on Fri/Sat), but they're a great store. Congrats!

You've never to Mast General Store in Greenville, Asheville, or any of their other locations? :blink: You're missing out big time. The Main Street store in Greenville is the highest grossing retailer in terms of revenue downtown. It will definitely bring more people to downtown Columbia. It's one of those tourist destination stores. :) You guys should be thrilled.

Edited by citylife

No, I haven't been to one, but it sounds like a nice addition to that block. There has been a tremendous amount of development in the earlier blocks of Main Street that finished their streetscaping a few years ago so it looks like with this and the Nickelodeon's impeding move, that the block between Taylor and Blanding will soon take off, also.

Columbia is in for a treat. Mast General Store is awesome. This is going to read like an advertisement, but Mast really is my favorite store in the world. The wife and I aren't much for shopping, and we NEVER buy things at boutiques, but somehow we're mesmerized by Mast...

I first went shopping at one in Waynesville when I was a kid back around 1993 or so. Also went to the original one in Valle Crucis during summer camp around 1994 or so. Plenty of things for a 12 year old kid to enjoy. I've been to the stores in Asheville and Hendersonville too as an adult and they still pretty much kick ass... camping supplies, knives, clothes, housewares, toys, old fashioned candy scooped from barrels... and other gadgets and knick knacks for men and women alike in one pretty large (20,000 square feet or so) historically renovated downtown storefront.

Are they more expensive than Wal-Mart? Of course, but who really thinks shopping at Wal-Mart is fun? And who would go to buy a serious hiking boot or a backpack at Wal-Mart either. Besides, Mast actually has some pretty good sales too sometimes, and they're usually cheaper than REI too, though they don't have quite the same variety of high-end stuff.

They only locate in historic "Main Street" buildings in walkable, tourist-friendly areas. As a chain, they expand slowly and carefully, adding one store every 3 or 4 years since the 1980s. Each location they open usually involves a careful restoration of a dilapidated storefront or entire building. Sometimes if they can't get enough space in a single building, they'll take two adjoining buildings and link them together. The most recent one (Knoxville) opened up in 2006, so they're about due for another one. I was hoping they'd look to the NC Triangle but I fear that maybe we've decimated our historic downtowns too badly. So, it looks like Columbia is the lucky winner. Congrats!

After originally looking at their website I wasn't really feeling too much excitement, but everyone on here that has been in one, seems pretty upbeat about them, so this might be a real shot in the arm for that block of Main Street. This might even create some synergy with the army-navy store 2 or 3 doors down on Main Street and, of course, the new Nickelodeon next door when it opens. Cool.

Edited by waccamatt