Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

I remember when Greenville's was announced and when it opened. It was a big moment in their Main Street endeavors. But who's your source of information, Waccamatt?

It was a confidential, but reliable source. I don't think the sale is complete yet, so it could always fall through, but they were confident of the identity of the proposed buyer.

Edited by waccamatt

The opening of Mast General in Greenville was a real turning point in Main Street's revitilization. It was the first, and really the only 'major' retailer to open here until the national retailer Staples opened a year or so ago.

Having an established and significant sized regional retailer open on Main Street would be a HUGE vote of confidence. It would shoot big holes in the idea that Main Street can't become a retail corridor again [a view I have never agreed with].

Mast General is about as good as Columbia could possibly get for this space. Mast appeals to locals and tourists alike, and has a broad enough inventory to offer something for everyone. Whenever showing visiting friends the town, Mast General is the 'must' stop on the tour of DT Greenville, second only to Falls Park/Riverplace.

This would do FAR, FAR more than the Art Museum did, or the Nickelodeon would do, for Main Street. If this happens, pop open some champagne, it would be not good news, but GREAT news.

So, Waccamatt, I hope your source knows exactly what he/she was talking about.

It is a reliable source, but until the purchase is complete, anything can happen, as you know. In the current economy I don't accept anything as a "given", but I'm confident that this is who is under contract to purchase the building. A 3-story retail store at that location would be awesome.

Could we end up with a three-story Mast General? They renovate entire buildings. Maybe they'll make apartments upstairs.

What state is the building in currently? They did a fantastic renovation in Greenville. I believe they might have put residential upstairs in their location here, but I can't be 100% positive. Columbia is in for a treat if all goes as planned...

What state is the building in currently? They did a fantastic renovation in Greenville. I believe they might have put residential upstairs in their location here, but I can't be 100% positive. Columbia is in for a treat if all goes as planned...

The building is in pretty good shape as it has been renovated within the last 10 years or so. This is a mediocre photo of the building (the one with the green awning in the background). I will search for some more photos or take some soon.

urban%20tour%2009%20band%20at%20nick%201.jpg

The opening of Mast General in Greenville was a real turning point in Main Street's revitilization. It was the first, and really the only 'major' retailer to open here until the national retailer Staples opened a year or so ago.

Having an established and significant sized regional retailer open on Main Street would be a HUGE vote of confidence. It would shoot big holes in the idea that Main Street can't become a retail corridor again [a view I have never agreed with].

Mast General is about as good as Columbia could possibly get for this space. Mast appeals to locals and tourists alike, and has a broad enough inventory to offer something for everyone. Whenever showing visiting friends the town, Mast General is the 'must' stop on the tour of DT Greenville, second only to Falls Park/Riverplace.

This would do FAR, FAR more than the Art Museum did, or the Nickelodeon would do, for Main Street. If this happens, pop open some champagne, it would be not good news, but GREAT news.

vicupstate - I couldn't agree more. This would be the most significant thing to happen to Main Street Columbia and a real feather. I have heard the same rumblings that it is Mast looking to purchase the Louries Bldg.

It would fit their mold. By history they look for buildings to pounce on and renovate with the right timing in the redevelopment of a city's urban core. Their expansion schedule has coincided with the revitalizations of the downtowns of the cities they're in.

The Greenville location is two stories with a small mezzanine. Only the ground floor and the mezzanine are used for retail display space. There were plans originally to put condos on the second floor. That has not been done. I THINK I heard they use some of the second floor for their own office/support space, but surely that can't be too much of it.

I wouldn't count on anything more than the first floor for retail in the Cola location if this happens. Maybe they can make a deal with the Capitol Places company to develop the higher floors down the road.

Wow, quite a bit of good news for Main Street. I love the addition of the Church and landing a Mast store appears to be a major coup.

Interesting, because I visited the Mast store in Greenville just last weekend. There were a ton of people shopping there.

Fingers crossed that both projects come to fruition.

Edited by dobboard

Mast would be HUGE news for Main Street. It's hard to believe that we may be seeing Main St. begin to emerge as more of a non-business destination in these economic times. With the Rooftop Bar, the Nick, the White Mule, Mast (fingers crossed), and hopefully a good restaurant in TMG, things are really looking up for the area.

I haven't talked on here in a while but, WOW I've been down man st over the past month and its really starting to take shape with the renovation of the wachovia building, TMG,and also the new Nickelodeon theater. its pretty nice and slowly having that big city feel in downtown.

Mast General Store? :yahoo: I'm praying it goes through . . it would truly be transformational for Main Street. Their stores are like stepping back in time. So many cool products long forgotten are there--high quality, no-nonsense, and for the most part, natural/organic/green. A wonderful place for gifts, too. It will be PACKED with shoppers, especially at first. This is just what Main Street needs, of course: foot traffic. We need to all cross our fingers on this one!

Edited by digital_sandlapper