Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

I'm hoping to check it out soon as well, if I can get down there. Used to hang out at Jammin' Java a lot, would love to see something successful in the space. Here's their website.

I hope the food is better than it was at Jammin' Java and Jammin' Jazz or it won't last any longer than they did.

Edited by waccamatt

I hope the food is better than it was at Jammin' Java and Jammin' Jazz or it won't last any longer than they did.

I would think lunch will be a component - but the main business model is bar with alcohol and live music..... I hope they do succeed though, because they could be a great asset to Main St.

I would think lunch will be a component - but the main business model is bar with alcohol and live music..... I hope they do succeed though, because they could be a great asset to Main St.

If they open for lunch, though, it would be a waste of time if they use the same lunch model as Jammin' Java.

As I stated before, I'm not the biggest fan of the curb cut, nor the swaths of lawn or the planted strips along the sidewalk. Up towards that end of Main, however, there isn't a lot of activity anyway, so I suppose it's forgivable. Or is it being shortsighted to forgive these types of things and impose stricter (proper) regulations that are appropriate for an urban environment?

As I stated before, I'm not the biggest fan of the curb cut, nor the swaths of lawn or the planted strips along the sidewalk. Up towards that end of Main, however, there isn't a lot of activity anyway, so I suppose it's forgivable. Or is it being shortsighted to forgive these types of things and impose stricter (proper) regulations that are appropriate for an urban environment?

I agree... although it's cool to imagine the Greek Festival spilling out into that area.

To me, buildings that have grander entrances and institutional-type buildings are off the hook. Judging by how little the people and cars are compared to the building, and considering the building's steps, I think it should be okay. Also, in a densely urban environment, occasional set-back sets off the urban design portions.

Edited by CorgiMatt

Any (preliminary) opinions on the Wachovia renovation? I know it's just clear glass going in now, but it sure makes that space look more inviting already.

Will the building have the name Wells Fargo after the reno? Seems they are advertising on TV now here, and phasing out the Wachovia name in the ad. I'm eager to see the conversion. Surely they wouldn't put a huge new "Wachovia" sign only to be taken down soon for Wells Fargo, would they?

I've always disliked the odd "Wachovia" name (used to call it "Wach-ova-ya"), and Wells Fargo is such a storied old name--looking forward to seeing that name instead!

To me, buildings that have grander entrances and institutional-type buildings are off the hook. Judging by how little the people and cars are compared to the building, and considering the building's steps, I think it should be okay. Also, in a densely urban environment, occasional set-back sets off the urban design portions.

I agree as well, CorgiMatt. I like the plaza--we need more, IMO, in downtown Cola. Very urban in feel, despite the cut-through and lawn. Also, the tree lawns are fine--that's pretty standard.

Will the building have the name Wells Fargo after the reno? Seems they are advertising on TV now here, and phasing out the Wachovia name in the ad. I'm eager to see the conversion. Surely they wouldn't put a huge new "Wachovia" sign only to be taken down soon for Wells Fargo, would they?

I've always disliked the odd "Wachovia" name (used to call it "Wach-ova-ya"), and Wells Fargo is such a storied old name--looking forward to seeing that name instead!

The Wachovia name (which has an interesting history all its own, based on the bank's Winston-Salem roots) is to be phased out over the next three years.

I agree as well, CorgiMatt. I like the plaza--we need more, IMO, in downtown Cola. Very urban in feel, despite the cut-through and lawn. Also, the tree lawns are fine--that's pretty standard.

I don't have a problem with the plaza--I like it myself--but part of me can't help but wonder if the city is settling for less by accepting a less-than-urban project on Main Street. Of course, the new church itself is welcome, but the site plan looks a bit suburban to me.

Any (preliminary) opinions on the Wachovia renovation? I know it's just clear glass going in now, but it sure makes that space look more inviting already.

Are there any pre-construction shots?

The State has added the rendering for the new building for Holy Trinity. I hope the dome will be tall enough to have a visible place in the skyline.

That's horrible. I mean, the architecture of the building is amazing, but it distracts from the real problem. What's the deal with the circular driveway? That looks nothing like the site plan. There should not be any driveway cuts on Main Street. Period. The site plan posted before showed more of a plaza type thing, which is more preferable since it de-emphasizes the car while still allowing them to pass through.

I've always disliked the odd "Wachovia" name (used to call it "Wach-ova-ya")

I always called it "walkallovaya"

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Here's the Free Times's take on Main Street activity after hours. Wouldn't it be something if Main Street's resurgence dried up the Vista and Five Points and the Main Street corridor were all we had? That won't happen, so we're about to have nightlife spread over a larger, more expansive area here.

http://www.free-times.com/index.php?cat=19...861008090788469