Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

• 2 weeks later...

Move 'Em to Main Block Party

I just saw this on Columbia's Facebook Page.

Be a part of history as we usher in the new Main Street to the downtown Columbia landscape.

Join Columbia's hottest (famously hot, that is) folks as we "Move 'Em to Main". You're all invited: young and seasoned professionals, creatives, transplants, boomerangs, natives, and anyone who loves our city!

http://www.midlandsypa.com/

This looks like a pretty cool event. Wish I could make it.

Looks like the Rodeway Inn building at the corner of Lady and Main will be getting a facelift and street-level space facing Lady will be created for a fitness center. Personally, I think they could demolish the entire thing and build a much more suitable hotel with restaurant/retail on the ground floor, but what do I know.

The building as it exists:

RodewayInn.jpg

After renovations:

renovatedRodewayInn.jpg

renovatedRodewayInn2.jpg

renovatedRodewayInn3.jpg

Well not only is the Rodeway Inn to undergo an exterior facelift, there's also a proposal to convert the building from a 101-room hotel to residential with 54 studio and one-bedroom apartments. Downtown developer Ben Arnold has a contract on the building. The Palms on Main, as the building is to be called, would feature concierge service, fitness center, secured parking and

I also recently learned that Adesso, which has been struggling, sold 8 units in 8 days. I'm sure USC being back in session had a little something to do with that.

I was a bit surprised to learn that Renaissance Plaza was sold out, but I think some of the units were auctioned off if I remember correctly. It seems that smaller downtown residential projects eventually do okay.

I hope everything is okay with the Cap'n.

i went by the wachovia building today and its really starting to shape up now but im still confused on what its going to become after.

i heard its going to have a huge TV on the first floor that people can see outside.

ps im sorry i didnt upload my rendering of my idea yet my website i needed to add to is full so i have to make room or upload it to flickr

Well not only is the Rodeway Inn to undergo an exterior facelift, there's also a proposal to convert the building from a 101-room hotel to residential with 54 studio and one-bedroom apartments. Downtown developer Ben Arnold has a contract on the building. The Palms on Main, as the building is to be called, would feature concierge service, fitness center, secured parking and

• 2 weeks later...

WIS showed off the emerging vibe on Main Street last night in a report about the Nick relocating to the Fox Theater. The camera revealed the beauty of the streetscaping and showed the interiors of several nightspots. It was so nice to hear and see the people talking about the rise of Main Street without comparing it to any other cities' downtowns. Instead they compared it to the Vista and Five Points.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=11153526

Since Columbia's Urban Tour showcases Main Street and the adjacent areas, I'm posting this here. The 2009 Urban Tour has been given an award of distinction by the International Downtown Association. There were many entries for the award and choosing the winners was difficult, an IDA spokesperson says.

http://www.columbiabusinessreport.com/news...stinction?rss=0

WIS showed off the emerging vibe on Main Street last night in a report about the Nick relocating to the Fox Theater. The camera revealed the beauty of the streetscaping and showed the interiors of several nightspots. It was so nice to hear and see the people talking about the rise of Main Street without comparing it to any other cities' downtowns. Instead they compared it to the Vista and Five Points.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=11153526

I think its interesting what people consider to be downtown. Some people seem to think that its limited to the are where there are skyscrapers (like the CBD), as opposed to a larger district that includes the Vista. Five Points is generally a separate entity though, even though you could technically include it in downtown.

Five Points is included in the Downtown Business Alliance and is covered by the Columbia Development Corporation's umbrella. I've been saying all along that downtown Columbia covers a lot of territory. You'll hear people from areas like Irmo and Blythewood talk about downtown and they mean anything from Elmwood Avenue to Blossom and from Huger to Devine, and even Rosewood.

• 1 month later...