Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

It was odd that department stores lasted as long as they did DT. The Macy's was the best department store in town when it was open, IMO.

I remember Tapp's and had a shopping trip to Lourie's right before it closed, but what were things like when Belk's and Macy's were downtown as well? Were they nice, busy (enough) stores, or were they run-down, empty stores, just waiting to close? What was the surrounding retail like?

Belk seems not to do downtown stores anymore- the one in Charlotte just closed recently (it was tiny, and wasn't a full-line store anyhow, but good for a few things).

One prospect for today's downtowns is Target; the one right next to uptown Charlotte- easily within a short walk- is thriving, and a lot of downtowns in the Northeast have new Targets- Stamford, CT, White Plains, NY, etc.

Why do people assume that downtown Columbia is ONLY Main Street. There is a LOT more to downtown than just Main. The Vista has tons of restaurants, bars, shops, etc...as does Five Points. And BOTH areas are downtown. To say that downtown Columbia doesn't have much retail is false. Main Street doesn't, but downtown has tons.

To me, downtown is Main, plus the other streets creating the grid around the Statehouse, the Horseshoe, and The Vista. I would definitely not include Five Points though. I would never say "I'm going downtown" then head to Five Points. It is it's own unique destination to me. Plus, it is separated from downtown by residential streets, and so isn't contiguous. Perhaps for those who live in NE or Irmo, Five Points would be "downtown".

There are plenty of shopping clusters around Columbia, of course, and downtown is just one of them. It definitely needs more retail, along Main and the other streets Growing Up mentioned, and so I don't think he's off the mark at all. The Vista is mostly entertainment, with a few stores (mostly galleries and gift shops) not usually open very late. By contrast, Mast General Store will be just that--general merchandise--and will be open until 9pm on Fridays and Saturdays--injecting a much-needed shot in the arm to Main Street's night time scene.

On the subject of old department stores, wasn't there a J.B. White's downtown? Macy's was originally Davison's, a division of Macy's from Atlanta. White's, Belk, and Davison's had been here for ages. Being centered between those department store headquarter cities: Belk's of Charlotte, J.B. White of Augusta, and Davison's of Atlanta probably helped our stores serve as flagship stores initially, that eventually abandoned downtown like they all did.

Edited by digital_sandlapper

I would never say "I'm going downtown" then head to Five Points. It is it's own unique destination to me. Plus, it is separated from downtown by residential streets, and so isn't contiguous. Perhaps for those who live in NE or Irmo, Five Points would be "downtown".

While I don't disagree with you, one of the things I noticed when I was at Carolina is that when students say "we're going downtown tonight" they mean Five Points. I actually posed a question related to this several years ago. The term "downtown" is synonymous with "activity" in an urban setting. So, regardless of where that activity is, if looks and feels like a downtown then it will be called such. Now having said that, everyone knows that its called Five Points. I personally view it more as a district within the greater 400-block downtown area (which is huge).

• 2 weeks later...

I was able to ride down Main St this weekend. It's starting to shape up nicely. Even the new tower isn't horrible since there are spaces for shops on the ground floor. I wish that they had been able to avoid putting a driveway on Main St.

I know. They really had no other choice with that block being as dense as it is. But it looks like they tried to minimize it as much as they possibly could.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Mast General hopes to announce its time line by February 19th, and it says once the time line is established it will be firm. A company spokesperson says they chose Columbia (specifically Main Street) because of the revitalization that has taken place there to include new homes, arts facilities, restaurants, etc. The spokesperson said Mast gets propositions from many cities looking to revitalize, but that they choose locations carefully, in cities they feel good about.

http://www.thestate.com/business/story/1141024.html

Edited by CorgiMatt

• 3 weeks later...

- Mast General has started the renovation of the Lourie's building with a scheduled opening for Summer 2011. The proposed condos/apts above the store will take longer.

- Demolition of the Salvation Army site has begun with plans for a "Comprehensive Homeless Transition Center". Operating funds have not been secured and a completion date was unavailable. Free Times

- Dunkin Donuts will not open on Main St. That location has been scraped due to bankruptcy issues :( .

- Steel in up for the new Greek Orthodox Church, should be a great addition.

Looks like some exterior changes are in the works for the building that Dunkin' Donuts was supposed to go in. I would assume this means that something else is to go there, but I don't see anything about that specifically.

In the link it shows someplace called "Fever" going in that space. I'm not sure what type of business that will be.

Looks like some exterior changes are in the works for the building that Dunkin' Donuts was supposed to go in. I would assume this means that something else is to go there, but I don't see anything about that specifically.

I saw two women talking to a man in front of that building. They were all facing the building and looking up, and one of the women was using her hands to describe a design concept.

In the link it shows someplace called "Fever" going in that space. I'm not sure what type of business that will be.

I saw that, but wasn't sure if it was just a placeholder since it isn't said what business might move into that space. I'm assuming it will be something, otherwise the exterior changes wouldn't be happening.

"Because the Palmetto Center is 25 years old and was built specifically for SCANA, a new tenant will want significant, costly renovations."

In my opinion this is something that needs to happen anyway. They need to gut the floors that SCANA was on and prep them to be customized for a new tenant as though they were buying into a new tower.

• 3 weeks later...