Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Not sure if this Main Street thread extends north of Elmwood, but I have to say that the North Main streetscaping project looks great. Funny that they finished it just as I moved and wouldn't have to use it anymore.:) But the road looks good. Now if they can just court some businesses to come back in...

Not sure if this Main Street thread extends north of Elmwood, but I have to say that the North Main streetscaping project looks great. Funny that they finished it just as I moved and wouldn't have to use it anymore.:) But the road looks good. Now if they can just court some businesses to come back in...

That part of Main st looks like Charlotte now. oh. and from the First citizen Bank on N. Main st you can get a Great shot of the Whole downtown Skyline.

• 2 weeks later...

Taken 5/1

Holy Trinity (more of the steel framing has gone up) from the Richland St. side:

4574033696_53fe51b5ed.jpg

Renovations on the old Lourie's store/new Mast General; workers are opening up the windows that have been bricked in for years in the rear:

4573375499_9574031d4c.jpg

The old McCrory's buildings, which was supposed to become the 1556 Main development, is boarded up and is something of an eyesore right now. But with all of the momentum in that area with Mast and the Nickelodean, I expect something to come there sooner rather than later.

Also, North Main is looking really good with the streetscaping. It would be nice if it were to extend all the way up to Eau Claire.

I'd vote for a completion from Blanding to Elmwood first. North Main does look great. I can just see new businesses rushing in there when the economy comes back. The three blocks that were completed first, from Gervais to Hampton, are maturing beautifully. From Hampton to Blanding should be looking more like the first three by the time Mast General opens. The shrubs and flowers are beautiful on all five blocks. The city was planting annuals today.

• 2 weeks later...

USC School of Law to Main Street?

Mayor Elect Steve Benjamin has already talked with law firms and other businesses about the law school renting out the former SCANA building for another boost to Main Street and an environment in which law firms and law students feed off of each others' energy while keeping the building in private hands and on the tax rolls. He says the city has helped USC a lot and that now USC could help the city by making this move.

http://www.columbiabusinessreport.com/news/34294-benjamin-envisions-usc-law-school-on-main-street?rss=0

Taken 5/1

Holy Trinity (more of the steel framing has gone up) from the Richland St. side:

4574033696_53fe51b5ed.jpg

Renovations on the old Lourie's store/new Mast General; workers are opening up the windows that have been bricked in for years in the rear:

4573375499_9574031d4c.jpg

The old McCrory's buildings, which was supposed to become the 1556 Main development, is boarded up and is something of an eyesore right now. But with all of the momentum in that area with Mast and the Nickelodean, I expect something to come there sooner rather than later.

Also, North Main is looking really good with the streetscaping. It would be nice if it were to extend all the way up to Eau Claire.

The streetscaping will extend all the way North to Fuller Ave. They are working from Fuller Ave south now.

Interesting proposal, but it's not going to happen. Darla Moore wants a signature building in the Innovista district, and that's what she's going to get.

Darla Moore's involvement is with the Business school, though. I think moving the law school to the Palmetto Center is an excellent idea.

Darla Moore's involvement is with the Business school, though. I think moving the law school to the Palmetto Center is an excellent idea.

My bad, got them mixed up. I, too, think that's a great idea.

Since NBSC has moved into TMG, is anyone in their old building?

• 3 weeks later...

An art supply store is moving from Rosewood Drive to Main Street next year a few doors down from Mast General Store and the Nickelodeon Theatre. I read recently also that F-Stop, Columbia's only locally owned camera and photography store, is moving next year from Harden to Main. City Center Partnership says interest has picked up sharply on Main since Mast General announced.

http://www.columbiabusinessreport.com/news/34594-art-supply-store-to-join-mast-general-rsquo-s-block-on-main