Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

Those wig shops and the like look horrible, but no worse than ones on N. Main St. in Greenville did before stores started coming back downtown. They'll look great in a few years.

Question: what was in those buildings when Columbia still had Belk, Macy's and Tapp's together downtown? Surely not wig shops?

Those wig shops and the like look horrible, but no worse than ones on N. Main St. in Greenville did before stores started coming back downtown. They'll look great in a few years.

Question: what was in those buildings when Columbia still had Belk, Macy's and Tapp's together downtown? Surely not wig shops?

That's a good question and one I don't know the answer to. This historic photo from around 1961 gives us some idea:

2541590643_80defa62fa.jpg

2541590643_80defa62fa.jpg

Whatever dude im still technically right becuase in stories its taller! in height! thats a different story maybe if we would of specialize it i would of known so im not fully wrong! im half right and your have right! :)

Technically, nothing; the only thing that determines the height of a building is...the height.

City Center Partnership is about to start a monthly event called First Thursday. Retailers will stay open later that day. Also, a new cafe is coming to the space on the ground floor of the Wachovia building. It will have sidewalk dining.

Good news on the 1441 Main cafe. I assume it's coming to this space on the ground floor of the renovated building:

4140788447_aff7cfeab9.jpg

4141543362_466b442ec9.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

While I am all for restoring the original façades of buildings, I think some sort of study should be done to determine what is underneath, so that a few of the 60s-70s era façades can stay. We can't let ourselves forget that part of our history, no matter how horrible it might be. There will eventually come a time where we will regret removing ALL of the architectural modifications from that area. So, for example, I think the King's Jewelers façade is reasonably attractive so I would advocate for that particular one being maintained as-is.

While I am all for restoring the original façades of buildings, I think some sort of study should be done to determine what is underneath, so that a few of the 60s-70s era façades can stay. We can't let ourselves forget that part of our history, no matter how horrible it might be. There will eventually come a time where we will regret removing ALL of the architectural modifications from that area. So, for example, I think the King's Jewelers façade is reasonably attractive so I would advocate for that particular one being maintained as-is.

I'm not so sure about this one, I guess mainly because I don't see ANY of those faux facades on Main Street as being attractive or worth preserving (including the gaudy King's Jewelers facade). I'm all for preserving 60's-70's buildings that have architectural merit, even the ones that aren't so pedestrian friendly that might exist in an otherwise walkable environment (i.e., Jefferson Plaza), but the vast majority of those horrendous facades of that era can go.

Don't get me wrong. I am by no means suggesting that we save very many. Just pick one or two. It's possible to spruce up the street level while still maintaining some of the façade.

I can see keeping the old McCrory building (1556 Main) altered facade the same, as it's just average and not too bad in terms of aesthetics. Can't think of any others off-hand that would be worth keeping.

I see where you are coming from Spartan, Main St has gone through many phases. But I feel like if a building was built in a certain era, bringing it back to that era shows the true history of that building. Unless it's a drastic improvement, I say restore all the original facades.

A brief history about downtown Columbia's street names:

Originally, Assembly Street and Senate Street were to be the two primary axis streets, however, the location of the Gervais St bridge shifted the focus away from Senate St.

All north-south streets in Columbia are named after important leaders during the Revolutionary War that fought in South Carolina. Starting from the river:

• Roberts St (never constructed)
  • Pinkney St (only one small block exists, just north of the water treatment facility near I-126)
  • Gist St
  • Williams St
  • Huger St
  • Pulaski St
  • Gadsden St
  • Lincoln St
  • (Park St) - formerly Gates St
  • (Assembly St)
  • (Main St) - formerly Richardson St
  • Sumter St
  • Marion St
  • Bull St
  • Pickens St
  • Henderson St
  • Barnwell St
  • Gregg St
  • Laurens St
  • Harden St

All east-west streets from Blossom to the south were originally named for exports of South Carolina, though that has been altered over the years.

• Blossom St (for Cotton)
  • Wheat St
  • Rice St
  • Catawba St (formerly Tobacco St)
  • Whaley St (formerly Indigo St)
  • Heyward St (formerly Lower St -the opposite of Upper Boundary St, now called Elmwood)

All east-west streets north of Blossom are named for other important people in Columbia's history, and in some cases, South Carolina's too.

• Devine St
  • Greene St
  • College St (formerly Medium St - my guess is that this was about half way between Elmwood and Whaley?)
  • Pendleton St
  • (Senate St)
  • Gervais St
  • Lady St
  • Washington St
  • Hampton St (formerly Plain St)
  • Taylor St
  • Blanding St
  • Laurel St
  • Richland St
  • Calhoun St (formerly Lumber St)
  • Elmwood St (formerly called Upper Boundary St)

Richardson St was named for Major Richardson Davie of North Carolina, who fought under Gen. Pulaski around Camden and Charleston.

A brief history about downtown Columbia's street names:

Originally, Assembly Street and Senate Street were to be the two primary axis streets, however, the location of the Gervais St bridge shifted the focus away from Senate St.

All north-south streets in Columbia are named after important leaders during the Revolutionary War that fought in South Carolina. Starting from the river:

• Roberts St (never constructed)
  • Pinkney St (only one small block exists, just north of the water treatment facility near I-126)
  • Gist St
  • Williams St
  • Huger St
  • Pulaski St
  • Gadsden St
  • Lincoln St
  • (Park St) - formerly Gates St
  • (Assembly St)
  • (Main St) - formerly Richardson St
  • Sumter St
  • Marion St
  • Bull St
  • Pickens St
  • Henderson St
  • Barnwell St
  • Gregg St
  • Laurens St
  • Harden St

All east-west streets from Blossom to the south were originally named for exports of South Carolina, though that has been altered over the years.
  • Blossom St (for Cotton)
  • Wheat St
  • Rice St
  • Catawba St (formerly Tobacco St)
  • Whaley St (formerly Indigo St)
  • Heyward St (formerly Lower St -the opposite of Upper Boundary St, now called Elmwood)

All east-west streets north of Blossom are named for other important people in Columbia's history, and in some cases, South Carolina's too.

• Devine St
  • Greene St
  • College St (formerly Medium St - my guess is that this was about half way between Elmwood and Whaley?)
  • Pendleton St
  • (Senate St)
  • Gervais St
  • Lady St
  • Washington St
  • Hampton St (formerly Plain St)
  • Taylor St
  • Blanding St
  • Laurel St
  • Richland St
  • Calhoun St (formerly Lumber St)
  • Elmwood St (formerly called Upper Boundary St)

Richardson St was named for Major Richardson Davie of North Carolina, who fought under Gen. Pulaski around Camden and Charleston.

Cool history

Mr. Richardson deserves better than to just be forgotten that way.

Don't you mean Mr. Davie ? What about Mr Roberts and Mr. Gates ?

Remembering aside, I think changing the name of Main back to Richardson would provide no tangible benefit and would actually be quite deterimental. It's a bad idea that just needs to go away.

• 1 month later...

The taco restaurant that is going in where Dunkin' Donuts (sp) was going has their liquor license request notice in the window now. It's getting close. They had the door open this morning with continued remodeling going on inside.

Incidentally, Dunkin was in the news again the other day with plans to open eight new stores in Columbia and six in Greenville. A spokesperson for them said downtown Columbia was growing and that they found it exciting, and that they would be locating in high-growth areas around the city, but no specific plan for a downtown location was discussed.

An art center has been proposed for the basement and first floor of the Tapp's building. A lady is looking to open a business that supports artists and hosts classes. She has applied for a loan as opposed to a grant. The city has loans available and it sounds as though the rest will be just a formality.

http://www.free-times.com/index.php?cat=1992912064022708&ShowArticle_ID=11010510100600061

Mast General and the Nick in that same block are on schedule.

Edited by CorgiMatt

I'm not all that impressed. It's not bad. This one will just blend in with the street, which is ok I supposed. I'm not a fan of the beige. I can't tell if its supposed to be stucco or brick. I'm hoping it's brick.

The unpainted brick on the front is beige. I imagine the tan paint on the broad side of the building is hiding more beige brick. Their mission is to return the building to its original look, so I don't think it will be stucco.