Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

Main street on the move

Will 2011 be the year Columbia’s Main Street, particularly the 1600 block between Taylor and Blanding streets, turns the corner?

City leaders have spent more than a decade and millions of dollars trying to revitalize Main Street, which has long been pegged as a retail destination. But the upcoming year will bring a series of projects and programs that promise to spark new life in the old shopping district.

It looks like more aesthetic improvements might occur sooner than later on Main Street. And Mayor Benjamin says he expects an announcement soon on the redevelopment of the Brennan Building behind First Citizen's Bank. The mayor is leading with lot of energy, but that's a different subject.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13746386

It looks like more aesthetic improvements might occur sooner than later on Main Street. And Mayor Benjamin says he expects an announcement soon on the redevelopment of the Brennan Building behind First Citizen's Bank. The mayor is leading with lot of energy, but that's a different subject.

http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13746386

I can tell you don't keep up with this thread as I mentioned the facade improvement program on the previous page, LOL.

It's good to hear that some improvements will be coming to the Brennan Building. It could certainly use a little TLC.

I can tell you don't keep up with this thread as I mentioned the facade improvement program on the previous page, LOL.

It's good to hear that some improvements will be coming to the Brennan Building. It could certainly use a little TLC.

I keep up. I figured a newly published perspective from WIS-10's viewpoint wouldn't hurt. The article I attached gives somewhat of an idea as to when we might actually see some action, thus my phrase "sooner than later" couched in the words "looks like we might see."

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...

As part of the improvements constructed by Mast General Store, a new streetscaped section is proposed running from Main Street and continuing down Taylor Street in a western direction. Improvements are estimated at $62,000 plus. Mast has asked the City to consider contributing streetscaping funds to this cost, and the city is looking at contributing an amount up to $50,000 towards that end. I'm assuming that this streetscaped section will run the one block between Main and Assembly, which would be adjacent to the south side of the store.

Matt, are you referring to these two:

3696389540_3fee12650b_z.jpg

I would hope that the owners would want to do more than just put up a little paint and participate in the facade improvement program. These two buildings are two of the worst offenders on that block in terms of fake facades, IMO.

And here's an article in The State about the Taylor Street improvements proposed in connection with Mast General Store.

Looks like the Rodeway Inn building at the corner of Lady and Main will be getting a facelift and street-level space facing Lady will be created for a fitness center. Personally, I think they could demolish the entire thing and build a much more suitable hotel with restaurant/retail on the ground floor, but what do I know.

The building as it exists:

RodewayInn.jpg

After renovations:

renovatedRodewayInn.jpg

renovatedRodewayInn2.jpg

renovatedRodewayInn3.jpg

Well not only is the Rodeway Inn to undergo an exterior facelift, there's also a proposal to convert the building from a 101-room hotel to residential with 54 studio and one-bedroom apartments. Downtown developer Ben Arnold has a contract on the building. The Palms on Main, as the building is to be called, would feature concierge service, fitness center, secured parking and �tropical� swimming pool and landscaping, Arnold said. It's also possible that the newly-renovated building might meet LEED standards. Apparently, Arnold's going for an "art deco, South Beach" theme with the exterior renovations. We'll see how successful that turns out.

The DDRC reviewed this request on September 1, 2009 and a Certificate of Design Approval was issued on September 4,2009. The Certificate of Design Approval expired on September 4, 2010. The applicant has decided to move ahead with the project. Therefore they are requesting the issuance of a second Certificate of Design Approval from the DDRC. The plans for the building remain the same as originally submitted and approved.

Looks like the city has officially approved the facade improvement program for the CBD, with a special emphasis on Main. For the businesses that take advantage of the program, they are only responsible for 20% of the bill, with the city footing the rest, up to $20K. I really hope property owners and tenants do take advantage of the program, especially the ones in the 1600 block.

As usual, the comments section following the article is interesting. One person said he doesn't frequent Main as often because he can't always find a parking spot directly in front of his destination and another person said that each store needs its own parking lot. It's crazy how people are so accustomed to suburbia that they don't realize that an urban area functions differently and is focused on people first and cars second (or third).

Looks like the city has officially approved the facade improvement program for the CBD, with a special emphasis on Main. For the businesses that take advantage of the program, they are only responsible for 20% of the bill, with the city footing the rest, up to $20K. I really hope property owners and tenants do take advantage of the program, especially the ones in the 1600 block.

As usual, the comments section following the article is interesting. One person said he doesn't frequent Main as often because he can't always find a parking spot directly in front of his destination and another person said that each store needs its own parking lot. It's crazy how people are so accustomed to suburbia that they don't realize that an urban area functions differently and is focused on people first and cars second (or third).

They can't even park right in front of a store at a mall. People that are too lazy to walk a block or two really make me shake my head.

Every year, Columbia spends $330,000 in taxpayer dollars to rent 22,000 square feet of empty space in the Tapp’s building. It’s been that way for more than 10 years, part of an agreement in which the city loaned a developer $880,000 to turn the old department store into apartments. The city has tried, and failed, to get a viable tenant for the space. The lease expires in August 2012.

Instead of paying an additional two years for empty space, Mayor Benjamin wants to give the space to Brenda Schwarz Miller, a 1995 USC graduate and former West Columbia art gallery owner, and let her turn it into 30 art studios, an art gallery, theater space, a coffee shop, and framing and print services. The proposal, which a City Council committee sent to the full council earlier this week, includes a $200,000 forgivable loan and one year of free rent for Schwarz Miller. She would pay for utilities and be responsible for maintenance. And, once the city’s lease ends, she would pay Prioreschi’s group a “hefty hunk” of rent.

Jim Gambrell, Columbia’s economic development director, said he did not think the city would approve that kind of arrangement and City Councilman Daniel Rickenmann agreed. Also, the proposal has upset some in the arts community.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Mast General Store Vice President Fred Martin says that the Columbia store will be the chain's "crown jewel" and that it will be the best-looking store that they've ever produced. Marin said the city did not have the collaboration to revitalize downtown 10 years ago when Columbia officials first approached Mast about opening a store. But the emergence of the Vista and the work to improve the Main Street’s appearance drew Mast leaders.

Martin also said the abundance of rivers and lakes, a national park, and Fort Jackson were as important as the vibrancy of the Vista and Five Points in their decision to build in Columbia, and that those natural resource amenities weren't presented to them 10 years ago.

http://www.columbiabusinessreport.com/news/39254-mast-general-store-vp-says-columbia-is-ready-to-grow?rss=0

I thought it was a bit funny when Marin said that downtown has "interesting facades." I'm guessing that's a reference to the gaudy faux facades that are mixed in amongst the original historic ones, LOL. But it sounds like they may want to be involved in some facade and building restoration, as the article also said, "The company also is interested in restoring downtown landmarks by 'bringing them back to their original significance.'" That's definitely awesome news and should add to the momentum that the city has already created with the facade improvement program.