Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

I believe it was sincere, but I think "interesting" was a clever way to include both the historic and the faux facades. Otherwise, if he were only referring to the historic facades, he probably would have used that very word (historic). But it's obvious that he sees the potential that lies there; otherwise he wouldn't have mentioned it at all.

Mashburn Construction and US Development are working together to develop The Lofts at Lourie’s, the 28 upscale apartment homes above the new Mast General Store. US Development is the developer and will manage the property through Capitol Places. The apartments will come on line starting August 1.

It looks like exterior construction on Holy Trinity is pretty much finished. Taken 4/23:

5656261658_0e7e98b87c_z.jpg

5656262856_c1b56ba901_z.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Here'a an article from this week's edition of the Free Times that features an interview with Matt Kennell, head of Center City Partnership, about Main Street's continuing resurgence in light of next week's opening of Mast.

mast.jpg

The article revealed that Tots to Teens, which is only a few stores down from Mast and the Nick, closed last month. That represents an opportunity for more exciting retail to open amidst the pedestrian traffic that Mast is sure to bring. If only some of those wig shops could be next...;)

• Like 1

Here'a an article from this week's edition of the Free Times that features an interview with Matt Kennell, head of Center City Partnership, about Main Street's continuing resurgence in light of next week's opening of Mast.

The article revealed that Tots to Teens, which is only a few stores down from Mast and the Nick, closed last month. That represents an opportunity for more exciting retail to open amidst the pedestrian traffic that Mast is sure to bring. If only some of those wig shops could be next...;)

A pet supply store (no puppies or kittens for sale) would be a good fit to replace TTT. The article is as fair and balanced and informative as any I've ever read on the topic of Main Street, if not the most. Matt Kennell is a class act who knows his stuff. He is a fine person to know on a civic level.

I agree that the wig shops are ugly and for me, they hold no appeal, but I'm sure the market they serve is glad they're there. Quite honestly, I'd never want to see Columbia become so elitist that stores like that have no place.

Two successful Myrtle Beach restaurateurs and a Charlotte partner, all three of whom were born and raised in Brazil, will bring a new concept to the Kress Building this summer when they open a Brazilian-style steakhouse that will be open for lunch and dinner. This will be another place for evening Mast General shoppers and Nickelodeon and art museum patrons to dine.

http://www.thestate.com/2011/05/19/1824514/new-style-of-steakhouse-to-open.html

I agree that the wig shops are ugly and for me, they hold no appeal, but I'm sure the market they serve is glad they're there. Quite honestly, I'd never want to see Columbia become so elitist that stores like that have no place.

Yeah, but there doesn't need to be three on the same block, LOL. I also want to see practical retail as opposed to a bunch of narrow niche retail on Main, but one or two of those wig shops can go.

Two successful Myrtle Beach restaurateurs and a Charlotte partner, all three of whom were born and raised in Brazil, will bring a new concept to the Kress Building this summer when they open a Brazilian-style steakhouse that will be open for lunch and dinner. This will be another place for evening Mast General shoppers and Nickelodeon and art museum patrons to dine.

http://www.thestate.com/2011/05/19/1824514/new-style-of-steakhouse-to-open.html

This is really good news. Something for the dinner crowd is exactly what Main needs instead of another sandwich shop catering almost exclusively to office workers at lunchtime. I think there are enough of those already. I'd actually forgotten that the Kress Building was vacant, but it wasn't vacant for long which is no surprise. It has one of the best locations downtown and the building is historic and aesthetically pleasing.

I can't wait to see what will eventually happen with the old McCrory Building; it's on the same block as the Kress Building and is catty-corner from Mast. I expect to hear some positive news on that front within a year or so.

Artist Jonathan Brilliant’s “Field of Good Fortune,” a site-specific art installation featuring 12-foot-long fortunes made of mounted sign material, will open Friday in the green area at Main and Lady streets across from the First Citizens Bank headquarters. Brilliant came up with the idea in response to the Columbia Design League's open competition for its Play With Your City public art initiative.

The installation will be displayed through June 20. There’s an artist reception and walk at 6:30 p.m. Wednesday.

B82738196Z.1_20110518162311_000+G762NNMER.10-0.standalone.prod_affiliate.74.jpg

This is an excellent use of an otherwise passive greenspace. I think it should host temporary art installations on a more permanent basis.

It's obvious that The State is a huge cheerleader for Main Street.

This is the cover story for the series that describes the changes happening on Main and it links to galleries, maps, and a downloadable version of the entire 12-page spread.

This article talks about Mayor Benjamin's role in the revitalization of Main. He definitely understands how important this is to his legacy as mayor. “Very few people will remember if the budget was balanced or what the crime rate was,” Benjamin said. “The enduring impact a mayor can have on the future of the city ... will probably be on the city’s design — the livability, connectivity, walkability — those things that directly impact the quality of life.”

Benjamin’s plan is to concentrate on Main Street itself and, separately, to address Main Street’s isolation from the rest of downtown by wide streets full of cars. The Main Street-centric plan is twofold. The first push is to find a tenant for the Palmetto Center. The second is to attract more retailers through a loan incentive program.

To enhance the connectivity of Main to the Vista, Benjamin wants to submit a $125 million application to the State Infrastructure Bank. Columbia has already submitted an Assembly Street project to the Infrastructure Bank, asking for money to remove the surface railroad crossings from Assembly Street. Benjamin is tweaking that plan to include narrowing Assembly Street from Gervais north to Washington Street by removing some on-street parking and widening the median. Benjamin still must muster the political will to get the project done. And it might not be quick: The Infrastructure Bank now is tied up with Charleston’s I-526 project. And another Midlands project is in line as well: construction of an interstate connector to Columbia’s airport.

Benjamin’s first step has been to present the problem of a wide Assembly Street to the Mayor’s Institute on City Design in October. He described the problem to a group of design professionals who kicked around ideas — including a pedestrian bridge and turning the Gervais and Assembly street intersection into a roundabout. They settled on the road diet. Benjamin’s second step was to draft the Urban Land Institute to study the Assembly and Gervais street intersection in a process called a “technical assistance panel.” The Columbia Development Corp. is using $10,000 from a federal EPA grant to pay for the study.

While I think it would be ideal to narrow Assembly from Elmwood to Blossom, I can see the feasibility in just focusing on the two most critical blocks right now--Gervais to Lady and Lady to Washington--since those are the ones most crucial to establishing connectivity with the Vista. I also think elimination of one lane in either direction needs to be considered as well as widening the sidewalks.

I also didn't have to wait long to hear good news about 1556 Main, the old McCrory building. On May 12, a group of developers from Charleston and Hilton Head purchased the building. They don’t have a ground-floor retail tenant yet, but plan to spend lots of money to “freshen up the exterior look of the building with a focus on the ground level appeal,” according to an email to The State.

All in all, it definitely looks like Main is turning a very critical corner in its revitalization at the moment.

Quite an investment on the The State newspaper's part.

For those that thought Mast General was a 'meh' announcement, this indicates that the powers that be at the city and newspaper, feel very differently.

The KEY will be that the city realize that Mast is merely another step in the process, NOT a silver bullet. Just as the Art Museum wasn't a silver bullet. Just as the Palmetto Center construction in the '80's was not a silver bullet.

Mast was an important milestone in the history of DT revitilization for Greenville, but much happened BEFORE and AFTER they came. The focus on DT has not waivered there, and Columbia will have to commit for the long-term, not just the four years of Benjamin's first term.

Very true about Mast not being a silver bullet. This is exactly what Matt Kennell of Center City Partnership said in his interview with the Free Times.

Columbia will definitely have to be committed to the process long-term, but in the absence of strong and engaged business leadership which sometimes spurs revitalization efforts (e.g., Charlotte), this will have to continue under strong and visionary leadership until it becomes part of the city's actual identity and culture. It's no coincidence that continuous investment and development in downtown Charleston has occurred under the visionary leadership of its long-time mayor. The same goes for Greenville to a lesser extent. I think Mayor Benjamin will have to hold the reins for more than one term in order for things to fully flesh out, and if he doesn't, his successor will have to be someone just as or more committed to downtown's revitalization over the long term. Had Bob Coble been just as focused and dedicated to this task instead of trying to be all things to all men, we probably wouldn't even be having this discussion right now. As likable as he is as a person, I do think that key opportunities for urban progress were missed during his administration.