Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

New Businesses Giving Hope To Main Street Revitalization

http://www.wltx.com/news/article/169956/2/New-Businesses-Giving-Hope-To-Main-Street-Revitalization

Grapes and Gallery to open on Main Street in a few weeks along with a new

French Creperie.

Grapes and Gallery may be the newest addition to the downtown area but not the last. Matt Kennell with the City Center Partnership says Main Street will see an increase in 2012. With planned additions like the Nickelodeon Theater, a new French creperie, and few new restaurants, Kennell says Main Street will soon have something for everyone.

Main Street down under:

http://www.wistv.com/story/16558825/historic-hotspot-actually-underneath-main-street

• 2 weeks later...

Chick-fil-A on Main Street will shut down at the end of the month after more than 17 years as lease negotiations with the building’s owner have failed. The 4,000-square-foot restaurant space is for lease for $19.95 a square foot per year – or roughly $80,000, according to the Arnold Cos. website. The development-and-property -management company is in the midst of redeveloping the entire property, renamed The Palms on Main.

The company is looking for another restaurant to lease out the ground-level space at 1301 Main St., according to its website, which also lists a 470-square-foot second-floor patio as available at no extra charge.

Chick-fil-A on Main Street will shut down at the end of the month after more than 17 years as lease negotiations with the building’s owner have failed. The 4,000-square-foot restaurant space is for lease for $19.95 a square foot per year – or roughly $80,000, according to the Arnold Cos. website. The development-and-property -management company is in the midst of redeveloping the entire property, renamed The Palms on Main.

The company is looking for another restaurant to lease out the ground-level space at 1301 Main St., according to its website, which also lists a 470-square-foot second-floor patio as available at no extra charge.

Chick-fil-A is looking for another spot on Main Street, but they said it might take a year before they can reopen if they find a suitable spot. They also said the inability to come to an agreement on the lease is the only reason they're moving and that there was no problem with the customer base. I think they'd do well in the Mast General block.

• 2 weeks later...

The Capital Restaurant building will be getting $40,000 in grants for the renovations that will shore up its tattered windows and Main Street facade.

1329410594-Brennan-Building-800x533.jpg

The city’s Application Review Committee also approved $20,000 for the W.T. Grant Building at 1614 Main St., and $20,000 for the Elite building at the corner of Main and Laurel streets, across from City Hall.

1329408974-Elite-building.jpg

1329408975-WT-Grant-building.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

^Yes, I saw that yesterday when I was in town; the canopy and awnings look great. Also looks like some work is being done on the Silver's building next door.

Something Special Florist is moving from the St. Andrews area to the Silver's building. They put the window framing in today.

They've started the facade restoration on the Brennan Building behind First Citizen's Bank. They had torn off some of the stucco and exposed some brick, and they had the second-story door and a window open when I rode by yesterday.

On another note, Fever has closed. It didn't make it. They had several soft openings with very little advertizing. It's a ready-made nice place for a new restaurant to take over, or maybe Fever will reopen.

The 21-story Palmetto Center could be the newest home for USC students.

A Chicago company is proposing private dorms for the building, which has remained empty on Main Street since SCANA Corp. moved its 900 employees to Cayce in 2009.

Core Campus, a limited liability corporation from Chicago, has applied for a zoning change from the city of Columbia for the building at 1426 Main St.

I think I'd much rather see the building become home to a business or several businesses and generate tax revenue for the city, but you can't argue that this wouldn't be a huge shot in the arm for Main Street as far as potential pedestrian activity goes if it were to happen.

• Like 1

I think I'd much rather see the building become home to a business or several businesses and generate tax revenue for the city, but you can't argue that this wouldn't be a huge shot in the arm for Main Street as far as potential pedestrian activity goes if it were to happen.

The article said the company wants to convert it to private dorms. USC wouldn't own it, so wouldn't it still be subject to property taxes?

In my mind yes i see this as a huge chance to really increase foot traffic in downtown specially on main st. but i have one concern. one where alot of the people who might be living there soon park there cars. i know the garage in the back has room but maybe not enough that and the garage is old and kinda falling apart and concerns me of its capatibility to hold all these cars. i think if they are going to sale the building they should redesign the garage also. dress it up and fill cracks and holes and stuff on the garage.

also if they sale the building what would become of the office space on the lower level? Anyone here can say Chic-fil-a maybe there. lots of room outside space and if people are going to be moving in lots of customers.

In my mind yes i see this as a huge chance to really increase foot traffic in downtown specially on main st. but i have one concern. one where alot of the people who might be living there soon park there cars. i know the garage in the back has room but maybe not enough that and the garage is old and kinda falling apart and concerns me of its capatibility to hold all these cars. i think if they are going to sale the building they should redesign the garage also. dress it up and fill cracks and holes and stuff on the garage.

also if they sale the building what would become of the office space on the lower level? Anyone here can say Chic-fil-a maybe there. lots of room outside space and if people are going to be moving in lots of customers.

I like the idea of some retail on the ground floor. A Chik-fil-a could work well there but I think think a Chipolte would be awesome. I lived in a 10 story dorm at Clemson with 500 other guys and the amount of people constantly coming and going could keep several businesses busy.

• Like 1

The building would be privately owned, and therefore taxed.

They must be getting this building for a song, because turning an office building into a dormitory would seem very expensive to me. I would prefer it stay offices, but there may not be enough demand currently.

Given how nice most off-campus student housing is these days, I would be concerned about this being successful if it is more 'dorm room' than 'apartment'.

The building would be privately owned, and therefore taxed.

They must be getting this building for a song, because turning an office building into a dormitory would seem very expensive to me. I would prefer it stay offices, but there may not be enough demand currently.

Given how nice most off-campus student housing is these days, I would be concerned about this being successful if it is more 'dorm room' than 'apartment'.

Good point. I didn't think about that part and dorms might not fill out as expected. I'm assuming they may be configured as suites where they the "dorms" have two bedrooms connected by a bath room and small kitchen. Guess we will have to wait for more details.

Columbia Museum of Art receives almost 600 pieces of contemporary art

http://www.thestate.com/2012/04/02/2217304/columbia-museum-receives-almost.html

The Columbia Museum of Art will announce today a gift of almost 600 works of art from Dorothy and Herbert Vogel, prominent collectors of contemporary art. The Vogels built a collection of more than 4,500 pieces, and the museum of art is now the second largest repository of the Vogel collection. It trails only the 1,100 pieces held by the National Gallery of Art in Washington.