Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

Palms on Main new designer painting on the Main st side of the building. I would love to see some ads be put up on there after it opens like you see in Charlotte or Atlanta just building size advertisement on the side of garages and buildings to get the public's attention. example: http://miamiherald.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83451b26169e20133f34cc698970b-400wi

6897332048_690cf14fa1_b.jpg

Edited by growingup15

Palms on Main new designer painting on the Main st side of the building. I would love to see some ads be put up on there after it opens like you see in Charlotte or Atlanta just building size advertisement on the side of garages and buildings to get the public's attention. example: http://miamiherald.t...cc698970b-400wi

6897332048_690cf14fa1_b.jpg

I don't know if I like that....at all. It's a little too cartoonish/childish for me but I'm sure someone on here will state their love of it. I don't think ads on this building are a good idea. Usually ads are put on the side of buildings in high traffic areas like in the picture you posted, not small main streets with minimal traffic.

I don't know if I like that....at all. It's a little too cartoonish/childish for me but I'm sure someone on here will state their love of it. I don't think ads on this building are a good idea. Usually ads are put on the side of buildings in high traffic areas like in the picture you posted, not small main streets with minimal traffic.

Cartoony? not really you be surprised new modern art on buildings now doesn't always have to be amazing artist. The simple stuff makes the area look nice.

I seen stuff like this in Florida alot on the beaches and everything

Cartoony? not really you be surprised new modern art on buildings now doesn't always have to be amazing artist. The simple stuff makes the area look nice.

It kind of looks like something that belongs in a famously hot city.

I just wished they had painted something that actually had something to do with the history of Columbia. I could have painted this and I'm not sure who the artist is but I am sure they are well known. This whole building has a weird vibe for me but maybe I just don't like "Miami" style buildings. I'd rather have a mural than just the plain white walls though. It looks cartoonish to me because it's so simple. I like modern but not a random sailboat, tree and sun that a small child could draw. Like I said though, I guess it's better than nothing.

Well i was visioning something like this. not too big just small enough but big enough for people to see that walks on Main st. there and across the street also on the other side where the little grassy area is at the side of the small buildings would look cool with a nice roll out billboard with LED lighting on it. http://i108.photobucket.com/albums/n12/MiamiCondoInvestments/TenMuseumParkiPod.jpg

It does add some color to that area, but I'm not sure if I'm a fan of it. As it was stated, it's a little "cartoonish" for me. Columbia isn't coastal and it seems like the artist could have used the Palmetto tree at least--something that actually has meaning in Columbia.

I went to Urban Tour/First Thursday on Main this evening and saw the mural on The Palms as a pedestrian at all angles. I really like it. The colors don't jump out as much as in the photograph above, and the scale feels right. It fits.

That's good. I'll wait until I see it in person to judge it completely.

They've started the facade restoration on the Brennan Building behind First Citizen's Bank. They had torn off some of the stucco and exposed some brick, and they had the second-story door and a window open when I rode by yesterday.

On another note, Fever has closed. It didn't make it. They had several soft openings with very little advertizing. It's a ready-made nice place for a new restaurant to take over, or maybe Fever will reopen.

I purposely never ate there because the owner ticked me off with her bellyaching about a possible taco street vendor. Bad karma.

• Like 1

Maybe in Florida at the beach, but this isn't Florida or the beach. I'm not particularly fond of the artwork, but anything beats the former Rodeway Inn.

• 3 weeks later...

The Bank of America Plaza, one of the most visible features of Columbia’s Main Street, is in receivership and an agent has been appointed to market the 17-story office tower, the building’s leasing agent said.

Bruce Harper, president and broker-in-charge at NAI Avant, said his company is reporting to a court-appointed receiver as they continue to market the building for lease.

• 2 weeks later...

Palmetto Center dorms could be OK'd TONIGHT

Columbia City Council could give the go-ahead as early as tonight to allow private dorms for college students in the 21-story Palmetto Center along Main Street.

The main issue before the seven-member council will be to allow greater densities of people than are currently permitted for office space. The meeting begins at 6 p.m. at City Hall at 1737 Main St.

http://www.thestate.com/2012/05/15/2276428/council-may-ok-main-street-dorms.html

Edited by lucjanrc
  • Like 1

Palmetto Center dorms could be OK'd TONIGHT

Columbia City Council could give the go-ahead as early as tonight to allow private dorms for college students in the 21-story Palmetto Center along Main Street.

The main issue before the seven-member council will be to allow greater densities of people than are currently permitted for office space. The meeting begins at 6 p.m. at City Hall at 1737 Main St.

http://www.thestate....reet-dorms.html

i saw that on WIS tonight

Palmetto Center dorms becoming a reality.

A developer’s proposal to put some 800 college students in a largely vacant office building on Main Street in downtown Columbia cleared a major hurdle Tuesday night when City Council voted to approve a zoning change for most of downtown.

The zoning change would allow the developer to create four-unit apartments within the 21-story Palmetto Center building in the 1400 block of Main Street. Currently, a building in that section of downtown can only have three people living in a common rented space.

http://www.thestate.com/2012/05/16/2277784/palmetto-center-dorm-nears-reality.html

Palmetto Center dorms becoming a reality.

A developer’s proposal to put some 800 college students in a largely vacant office building on Main Street in downtown Columbia cleared a major hurdle Tuesday night when City Council voted to approve a zoning change for most of downtown.

The zoning change would allow the developer to create four-unit apartments within the 21-story Palmetto Center building in the 1400 block of Main Street. Currently, a building in that section of downtown can only have three people living in a common rented space.

http://www.thestate....rs-reality.html

Wish they could put a small grocer on the main floor or some other kind of retail.

Can anyone say Chic fil a relocation. maybe the bottom floor some part of the bottom floor could be the new reopening of chic fil a

I was thinking Chick-fil-a as well... college students love it. This will actually be great for Main Street especially if a lot of the students walk to class. Even if only half walk the short walk to class, that would be 400 trips each way. Could help support a lot of retail.