Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

Main Street, which has seen resurgence in the arts and retail, is getting another boost in housing.

Developer Ben Arnold on Wednesday opened the doors of The Palms, a Miami-style apartment building in the old Rodeway Inn at the corner of Main and Lady streets.

The Palms is the second apartment development on Main Street to be built since the end of the worst recession in 80 years, joining the Lofts at Lourie’s above Mast General Store, which opened last fall. And a developer is working to turn the 21-story Palmetto Center into dorms for USC students.

The ground floor of the Tower @ Main & Gervais has landed an upscale restaurant, the Oak Table. It will be an affiliate of Charleston restaurant group Indigo Road. It will serve classic American staples from steak to seafood. It's supposed to open late this summer.

http://www.free-times.com/index.php?cat=1992912064202144&ShowArticle_ID=12293005122630193

The ground floor of the Tower @ Main & Gervais has landed an upscale restaurant, the Oak Table. It will be an affiliate of Charleston restaurant group Indigo Road. It will serve classic American staples from steak to seafood. It's supposed to open late this summer.

http://www.free-time...293005122630193

FINALLY some news about this space. I was wondering if anything would ever happen. Good to hear!

I've learned to be guarded in my excitement about rumors such as this, but if it is true, Columbia's efforts to revitalize Main Street would be a resounding, unquestionable success. If Urban Outfitters comes to pass, this would be a coup for Columbia of unprecedented proportions.

If the chatter about Urban Outfitters is true, it would not be beyond the realm of possibility for an Apple Store to follow (here we go again, I know). As readers of this board know, speculation about a Columbia Apple Store and rumors of Apple looking for space here have been ongoing for years. Columbia is long overdue for an Apple Store and cities of similar and smaller sizes already have one. This suggests to me that Apple is biding its time waiting for a marquis location to open up in the Capital City. Although many Apple Stores locate in malls, they can also be found on flagship pedestrian streets, such as King Street in Charleston. Main Street is nowhere near King Street, but if the recent pace of development is any clue, particularly if a national niche retailer like Urban Outfitters opens there, the demographics and critical mass would be just right for not only Apple, but for many other stores on the wish list of Columbians.

Keep your fingers crossed!

^I was thinking of Apple as well, particularly with the prospect of the Palmetto Center becoming dorms--which might be why rumors of Urban Outfitters are swirling. It would create a domino effect of monumental proportions.

I hope this momentum will eventually result in the county deciding to build a new courthouse with the hefty proceeds it would get from selling the land where it currently sits. I could definitely envision a 12-story or so mixed-use building there. Even something shorter, around 5 stories, could make a big impact. I also think something could be built in between 1400 Main and 1441 Main (Wells Fargo building), maybe even something that would encompass the majority of that block which is mostly surface parking behind those two buildings.

• Like 2

They've erected a chain link fence with a tarp on it in front of the W.T. Grant Building adjacent to the alley they're building to connect Main Street with the new Sumter Street parking garage, and they have a construction permit in the window dated from mid-May.

• 1 month later...

Hi folks. I'm new to this site. I'm a 41 year old resident of Columbia, and have always taken a great interest in urban planning, architecture, and moving my hometown to the place it rightly should be as the capital and biggest city in SC.

This parking garage is something I pass daily as I go to work. It is a great looking structure, and has great ground floor space for retail. I only hope Columbians will shed their fear of parking anywhere other than on the street, and use it.

Looks like the program is moving faster than you guys can provide photo updates. :thumbsup: I'd also like to see some shots of the Brennan Building renovations.

I hope to see a few more facades restored to their original glory like Man & Taylor Shoe Salon. Like I said before, I'm dying to see what the original facade of King Jewelers looks like.

Looks like the program is moving faster than you guys can provide photo updates. :thumbsup: I'd also like to see some shots of the Brennan Building renovations.

I hope to see a few more facades restored to their original glory like Man & Taylor Shoe Salon. Like I said before, I'm dying to see what the original facade of King Jewelers looks like.

The owner of King's Jewelers told me he likes his current facade, so I don't him applying for a grant. That said, he told me that over 10 years ago.

The owner of King's Jewelers told me he likes his current facade, so I don't him applying for a grant. That said, he told me that over 10 years ago.

I'm not surprised; it's gaudy and is bigger than any other signs/facades that surround it, so it calls more attention to his establishment, even if it isn't in a good way. I guess the only way we'd see his facade improved would be if it went out of business.