Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

[*]The success of Main Street (which has been given the Great American Main Street Award) has led to an unprecidented surge in residential development all over downtown, which in turn has led to the anouncement of as many as three additional supermarkets to be located in or very near the CBD.  These are being developed with every kind of shop and restaurant you'd expect along with more people living here.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I only know of one supermarket (Publix) headed to DT Greenville. What are the others?

Of course, other signs of life might include fountains, sculpture and other outdoor art, and stricter standards on the way all new buildings are designed. 

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are correct about fountains, sculptures, and other types of outdoor art. While walking down Tryon in Charlotte a few nights ago, I was struck by the number of fountains on the street. They really give a certain flair to the area.

I only know of one supermarket (Publix) headed to DT Greenville.  What are the others?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

There was a long article in GSABusiness a few months ago. It stated that along with the future McBee Station store (presumeably Publix), there are plans for one in a phase III building within RiverPlace, plus one to be built in the West End development around or near the new ballpark. GvilleSC corrected me about their not all being located directly in the CBD, but the one in RiverPlace will be just across the"line." The great thing is that these will definitely serve the residents and 116,000 people in downtown well. All this from the revitalization of a main street in a past time "ghost town." :)

There was a long article in GSABusiness a few months ago.  It stated that along with the future McBee Station store (presumeably Publix), there are plans for one in a phase III building within RiverPlace, plus one to be built in the West End development around or near the new ballpark.  GvilleSC corrected me about their not all being located directly in the CBD, but the one in RiverPlace will be just across the"line."  The great thing is that these will definitely serve the residents and 116,000 people in downtown well.  All this from the revitalization of a main street in a past time "ghost town." :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

oh, sorry, no I wasn't correcting you. The other one, that I know of, isn't in the CBD, but like the ones that you listed, it's just outside, too.

There was a long article in GSABusiness a few months ago.  It stated that along with the future McBee Station store (presumeably Publix), there are plans for one in a phase III building within RiverPlace, plus one to be built in the West End development around or near the new ballpark.  GvilleSC corrected me about their not all being located directly in the CBD, but the one in RiverPlace will be just across the"line."  The great thing is that these will definitely serve the residents and 116,000 people in downtown well.  All this from the revitalization of a main street in a past time "ghost town." :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Are these others definites? I thought those sites were prospective sites for Publix, which ended up landed in McBee Station. Other than Fresh Market, or Earth Fare, which are smaller specialty grocers, it's hard to think of an available grocer for these sites.

I guess Bilo is an option, but they already have a small store on N. Main. Plus they are under new mangement after ercent difficulties. Winn Dixie isn't an option. Ingles doesn't seem to be doing that well either. Unless Kroger or someone else is moving into the market, not many options are left.

GvilleSC, I assume your inside knowledge does NOT include the two sites Skyliner mentioned?

I'd like to know why people think it is necessary to have a Main St like Greenville's? The key difference here is that Columbia is not reliant on Main St. It is important for business to be sure, but I think recreating Greenville's Main St is unnecessary when Columbia has so many other options. Of course I want to see Columbia grow its Main St into something better than what it is, but it won't ever be the city's lifeline. There is no point in copy-catting Greenville when the city laready has a unique setup.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree with Spartan. Downtown Columbia has the Vista and Five Points, why does Main Street have to be a clone of those areas? Main Street is getting alot of residential development, which is in walking distance of the Vista and Five Points.

I never realized that the name of a street would leave such a mark on anyone who visited. When I check out a new town I don't immediately ask for main st. I just want to know where the action is. If it happens to be main street then great, or if it happens to be at Grand Suburbian Mall, then that's fine too, just take me to where there is something to do. There are several cities (especially larger cities, Tampa, Chicago, Denver, etc..) that have entertainment distrcts/ neighborhoods that provide the same kinda experience one can get in the Vista, 5points, or Main street Greenville. I think it would be nice to tie Main St. Cola to the Vista but it isn't neccesary. The city will and has continued to grow without it (Wall St. isn't exactly an entertainment district) and neither is Main St. Cola. I would actually focus energy on developing the riverfront at this time since this will be the hottest area in the city in the very near future with "Innovista" going up there. I would build from the Vista to the river. If any of you have ever been to Murrell's Inlet just south of MB it would be a similar set up. Restaraunts with patios on the waterway, infact West Columbia probablly stands the biggest to gain from riverfront development since the skyline is so easily viewable from that side of the bank.

But if all else fails I guess they could always change Gervais name to Main St. and they could still say it's in the Vista.

Edited by The_sandlapper

I never realized that the name of a street would leave such a mark on anyone who visited. When I check out a new town I don't immediately ask for main st. I just want to know where the action is. If it happens to be main street then great, or if it happens to be at Grand Suburbian Mall, then that's fine too, just take me to where there is something to do. There are several cities (especially larger cities, Tampa, Chicago, Denver, etc..) that have entertainment distrcts/ neighborhoods that provide the same kinda experience one can get in the Vista, 5points, or Main street Greenville. I think it would be nice to tie Main St. Cola to the Vista but it isn't neccesary. The city will and has continued to grow without it (Wall St. isn't exactly an entertainment district) and neither is Main St. Cola. I would actually focus energy on developing the riverfront at this time since this will be the hottest area in the city in the very near future with "Innovista" going up there. I would build from the Vista to the river. If any of you have ever been to Murrell's Inlet just south of MB it would be a similar set up. Restaraunts with patios on the waterway, infact West Columbia probablly stands the biggest to gain from riverfront development since the skyline is so easily viewable from that side of the bank.

But if all else fails I guess they could always change Gervais name to Main St. and they could still say it's in the Vista.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I totally agree with you about the riverfront. It's mindboggling how Columbia hasn't taken full advantage of that aspect of its geography for so long now.

I appreciate everyones views on where Columbia should grow but that really should go under a seperate thread. There are many great things that need to (and will) happen to this city. Innovista is a great thing and will add a lot for this city byt this thread is for ideas on how we can improve Main St. Main St area is our Central Business District and has a tremendous amount of visitors every day while doing business in our city. It would be great if they saw a vibrant city while walking our street in a pedestrian friendly downtown. So lets see if we can get back in the box and talk about ideas on how to make our CBD (Main St) a better place to visit, possibly shop, and live.

Edited by mainstreeter

Are these others definites?  I thought those sites were prospective sites for Publix, which ended up landed in McBee Station.  Other than Fresh Market, or Earth Fare, which are smaller specialty grocers, it's hard to think of an available grocer for these sites. 

I guess Bilo is an option, but they already have a small store on N. Main.  Plus they are under new mangement after ercent difficulties. Winn Dixie isn't an option. Ingles doesn't seem to be doing that well either. Unless Kroger or someone else is moving into the market, not many options are left.

GvilleSC, I assume your inside knowledge does NOT include the two sites Skyliner mentioned?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The article reported that the developers of RiverPlace would definitely include a supermarket in their building, regardless of the others. The development in the West End was reported to be highly favorable as another location for a supermarket. It was even included in the visionary renderings and the Mayor has also stated that it would definitely be a great thing for that part of downtown. The whole purpose behind that GSABusiness article was to show how vast the supermarket possibilies are. It clearly stated that the three propositions are all legitimate and could very likely all be built. :)

I appreciate everyones views on where Columbia should grow but that really should go under a seperate thread.  There are many great things that need to (and will) happen to this city.  Innovista is a great thing and will add a lot for this city byt this thread is for ideas on how we can improve Main St. Main St area is our Central Business District and has a tremendous amount of visitors every day while doing business in our city.  It would be great if they saw a vibrant city while walking our street in a pedestrian friendly downtown.  So lets see if we can get back in the box and talk about ideas on how to make our CBD (Main St) a better place to visit, possibly shop, and live.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My vote goes to continued residential development on Main Street.

Back to the riverfront for just a moment: There are several reasons why Columbia's riverfront didn't start to develop until recently.

1. Before the Lake Murray dam was built (1930 or so), the area close to the Congaree flooded regularly

2. CCI (The State Penetentiary) was located on Columbia's riverfront until about 10 years ago

3. Much of the riverfront land was/is owned by one family - the Guignards - and they have owned it for hundreds of years. The question of development might be better posed to them!

My vote goes to continued residential development on Main Street.

Back to the riverfront for just a moment: There are several reasons why Columbia's riverfront didn't start to develop until recently.

1. Before the Lake Murray dam was built (1930 or so), the area close to the Congaree flooded regularly

2. CCI (The State Penetentiary) was located on Columbia's riverfront until about 10 years ago

3. Much of the riverfront land was/is owned by one family - the Guignards - and they have owned it for hundreds of years. The question of development might be better posed to them!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Also... until the back-up dam was constructed, just in the past few years, there was still a concern in the back of many people's minds that areas along the riverfront (not to mention the entire Vista in a worst case scenario) could be lost in the event of a dam breach.

Edited by emerging.me

The Meridian is getting a new restaurant--Birds on a Wire--and possibly a bank, The State reports.

Good to see some ground-level tenets in this building.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Great news! I think Birds is a super place and it'll be a great fit for Main Street. I think staying open later will become more feasible in about a year, once the residential down there really starts to jump.

I never understood why the restaurant/retail space of the Meridian building was not put behind the historic (and attractive) fascade that was incorporated into the building. Instead they glassed it over, which looks weird and inappropriate.

It also was difficult to tell that a restaurant was even in the building. Given the comments by the Garden Bistro restauranteur (below), it seems that the building's owners did not want to interrupt the "clean lines" of the new building. That is all the more reason to put the restaurant behind the historic fascade.

Attention to details like this often are crucial to the success of street-level establishments. I hope the new party has ideas to overcome the situation.

He was unable to get signs up and create a customer base to keep the restaurant going.

There is also