Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

AgFirst Farm Credit Bank intends to buy the Bank of America Plaza building and move its operations and some 380 employees into 100,000 square feet in the tower. AgFirst expects to close on the deal sometime before the end of October. After the move, the plaza will be 100% occupied and the CBD vacancy rate for Class “A” space will drop to 8.7%, the lowest rate in more than 20 years.

so can we expect BoA to make plans for a new bigger tower?

• Like 1

The Marriott is getting a $10 million face lift to include a full bar and a new restaurant with a southern theme. The restaurant will specialize in dishes made with local ingredients. With the All Local Farmer's Market relocating just below the hotel, they won't have to travel far to shop.

http://www.thestate.com/2012/10/02/2464945/columbia-marriott-will-get-facelift.html

• Like 1

The Sheraton Convention Center should be opening in 2013 on Washington Street. Two million dollars will go into the renovations and it will employ 20 people.

http://www.columbiab...nvention-center

I was wondering if that space was completely outfitted yet. Good to see. For those who don't know, it's the building in the middle:

4221527458_5f3ee058ed_z.jpg

• 1 month later...

Agape Senior, a West Columbia-based company that provides health care and senior living services, plans to relocate its corporate headquarters and some of its retail services to three buildings in the 1600 block of Columbia’s Main Street. The buildings at 1614, 1620 and 1626 Main St. will be renovated to accommodate the corporate offices, the Goodlife Cafe, a health and exercise club, catering service, conference center for 300 people and the Agape Pharmacy. Agape will occupy a total of 43,000 square feet of space in the three buildings that once were home to Kimbrell’s Furniture, Schulte’s department store and the W.T. Grant store. The conference center will comprise 3,000 square feet of the complex. Scott Middleton, Agape’s founder and owner, said he hopes to have the cafe open by June.

1353419354-Agape-1.jpg

Here are the renderings of the plaza planned between the Brennan Building and Uptown Gifts. It is quite impressive.

https://www.columbia....-1214_Eval.pdf

Tearing down a historic storefront building to make a 'pretty' plaza that no one will use (except those with unlimited time on their hands) is the last thing Main Street needs. First Citizens needs to look at what is happening at the other end of main St. and take a few pointers,

Tearing down a historic storefront building to make a 'pretty' plaza that no one will use (except those with unlimited time on their hands) is the last thing Main Street needs. First Citizens needs to look at what is happening at the other end of main St. and take a few pointers,

The space where the plaza will be has been paved for years and years. I can't even remember what used to be there.

Edited by CorgiMatt

The link seemed to imply that 1210 main WAS the Brennan Building and that it was the location of this plaza. This must have been where the Capitol restaurant was, which I believe was demolished a few years back. I hope the day comes when this plaza will be replaced with a new strorefront building, but until then, it is better than a vacant lot.

The link seemed to imply that 1210 main WAS the Brennan Building and that it was the location of this plaza. This must have been where the Capitol restaurant was, which I believe was demolished a few years back. I hope the day comes when this plaza will be replaced with a new strorefront building, but until then, it is better than a vacant lot.
The Brennan Building is where Capitol Restaurant was. There is a space to the right of the Brennan Building, between the Brennan Building and the three-story building that has Uptown Gifts on the the ground floor in the space where Capital Newsstand used to be. The space between the two buildings is where the new mini-plaza will be. Personally I like an occasional plaza to break things up a little. The Brennan Building is currently undergoing extensive renovations, and I can tell from the newly restored window frames on both floors that it is going to be quite a looker. Edited by CorgiMatt

Agape Senior, a West Columbia-based company that provides health care and senior living services, plans to relocate its corporate headquarters and some of its retail services to three buildings in the 1600 block of Columbia’s Main Street. The buildings at 1614, 1620 and 1626 Main St. will be renovated to accommodate the corporate offices, the Goodlife Cafe, a health and exercise club, catering service, conference center for 300 people and the Agape Pharmacy. Agape will occupy a total of 43,000 square feet of space in the three buildings that once were home to Kimbrell’s Furniture, Schulte’s department store and the W.T. Grant store. The conference center will comprise 3,000 square feet of the complex. Scott Middleton, Agape’s founder and owner, said he hopes to have the cafe open by June.

1353419354-Agape-1.jpg

This is very exciting! These buildings are slightly north of the edge of development in downtown and while a corporate office does not attract foot traffic, the cafe should be a nice addition to the office workers on Main. Agape will likely apply for facade improvement grants, which means the preservation will continue further up Main and make the area more attractive. This seems like a big win for the area.

The Brennan Building is where Capitol Restaurant was. There is a space to the right of the Brennan Building, between the Brennan Building and the three-story building that has Uptown Gifts on the the ground floor in the space where Capital Newsstand used to be. The space between the two buildings is where the new mini-plaza will be. Personally I like an occasional plaza to break things up a little. The Brennan Building is currently undergoing extensive renovations, and I can tell from the newly restored window frames on both floors that it is going to be quite a looker.

Thanks for clearing that up. Glad to hear the Brennan building is getting renovated.

This is very exciting! These buildings are slightly north of the edge of development in downtown and while a corporate office does not attract foot traffic, the cafe should be a nice addition to the office workers on Main. Agape will likely apply for facade improvement grants, which means the preservation will continue further up Main and make the area more attractive. This seems like a big win for the area.

I know the W.T. Grant building has already had its faux facade removed to expose the historic facade; not sure if a facade grant was used or not though, although I'd guess it was. Either way, there will probably be more renovations at the ground level.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...