Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

• 4 weeks later...

The Richland County courthouse, an award-winner for its design, might become offices for Columbia city employees, with landscaped green space replacing the adjacent concrete parking lots.  The county and city would build a new courthouse together somewhere downtown.

http://www.thestate.com/2013/05/07/2761163/columbia-richland-county-officials.html

Edited by CorgiMatt

This was from a post of mine back in January 2007:

Here's the latest on a potential new county courthouse: A plan presented to County Council by Holder Properties (these guys are pretty bullish on Columbia, aren't they?) would put a new seven-story, 362,000-square-foot courthouse on a four-acre site at Elmwood and Sumter. But county leaders balked at the $117 million price tag. Some officials are calling for this proposal to be scaled down, saying its more than actually needed.

Even if this particular proposal doesn't go through (which I like, but I understand the cost factor), I think the proposed location is a good one. A new courthouse would open up a very large parcel on Main to redevelopment; as is, the courthouse makes for a very serious interruption in the street's urban fabric.

Even though it's a sound structure, although inadequate for the county's current needs, I'd much rather see the current county courthouse razed and have an urban building constructed in its place. As a matter of fact, I think that would be a great spot for a new office building for downtown since vacancy rates are rather low right now. Put some retail on the ground floor and it will fit in nicely with the revitalization that's occurring on that end of Main.

• Like 1

As someone who's pretty much obsessed with urban aesthetics, I agree with the adjective "eye-catching" in the article and see why it was award-winning in its time.  From certain angles I would hate to see the building go.  They of course need to update it for efficiency.  And I'm all for the plaza.

The plaza would be nice, but the current courthouse's shape and the fact that it doesn't front the sidewalk results in useless green space which is inappropriate for the city's main street. If the courthouse were repurposed for city offices, I would at least hope that all of that would become a new plaza.

I'm not impressed with a whole lot of modern county courthouses these days, and I think a major reason why is they attempt to stick those faux columns in with a more modern design and whole thing comes off looking cheesy. The Duval County Courthouse in Jacksonville, FL is a prime example. Bleh:

met_3NewCourthouse06.jpg

I'd rather see something that tries to be 100% modern, like the new Franklin County Courthouse in Ohio:

ROP-courthouse-01.jpg?v=1

franklin-country-courthouse02.jpg

Franklin_County_Courthouse.jpg

I'd like to see something different from anything that's been done anywhere.  When I get to the corner of Main and Blanding I like looking across to the back of the bright white Federal Bankruptcy Courthouse that they are now unveiling after a fresh coat of paint.  Some variation in sidewalk frontage along a main urban corridor doesn't bother me when green space or a plaza is involved. 

I'd like to see something different from anything that's been done anywhere.  When I get to the corner of Main and Blanding I like looking across to the back of the bright white Federal Bankruptcy Courthouse that they are now unveiling after a fresh coat of paint.  Some variation in sidewalk frontage along a main urban corridor doesn't bother me when green space or a plaza is involved.

It bothers me when useless green space is involved, and that's exactly what fronts the courthouse. Because there's nothing to engage the pedestrian or encourage activity, like a plaza does, it really has no place along a city's primary urban corridor. It is essentially suburban in design.

It bothers me when useless green space is involved, and that's exactly what fronts the courthouse. Because there's nothing to engage the pedestrian or encourage activity, like a plaza does, it really has no place along a city's primary urban corridor. It is essentially suburban in design.

Did I miss something or did the article quote the mayor as saying there would be a plaza if the current courthouse becomes city offices?

Did I miss something or did the article quote the mayor as saying there would be a plaza if the current courthouse becomes city offices?

The article said the surface lots between the courthouse and city hall could become a plaza/courtyard-type feature, but said nothing about the useless "yard" that fronts the courthouse.

The article said the surface lots between the courthouse and city hall could become a plaza/courtyard-type feature, but said nothing about the useless "yard" that fronts the courthouse.

I feel sure it would all be tied in together.  Anyway, I have always liked the courthouse, and I don't have a problem with an occasional variance in sidewalk frontage.

• 2 weeks later...

The restaurant Bourbon is confirmed for one of two of the storefront spaces in the Brennan Building. The other storefront,once envisioned as meeting space and a courtyard, may now become something different. First Citizens bank officials wouldn’t elaborate last week on plans for that space.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

^ They elaborated today: a coffee shop bank. Personally I think this is a brilliant way to reach people or at minimum build some brand exposure. I also like that they are serving food and coffee made by Columbia area companies. South Carolinians in general are very proud of their state and it seems natural to extend this sense of pride to consuming local food (similar to what you see in a lot of Texas).

http://www.thestate.com/2013/06/03/2800491/first-citizens-brewing-up-coffee.html

• 5 weeks later...

anyone else besides me seen recently that the old NBSC building on the corner of main and lady is being guttered out for some reason. Any word of something being put there soon or are they just renovating?

As I understand it Certus Bank is setting up a branch there.  Someone on some other forum said Starbucks was going to locate a corporate store on the first floor of the new NBSC building.  In the space where they said it was going, though, I have noticed a security guard behind a counter, so I can't see a Starbucks going there.  Maybe someone is getting things mixed up, including whoever wrote the article that said Certus was locating on the ground floor of the old NBSC building.    

As I understand it Certus Bank is setting up a branch there.  Someone on some other forum said Starbucks was going to locate a corporate store on the first floor of the new NBSC building.  In the space where they said it was going, though, I have noticed a security guard behind a counter, so I can't see a Starbucks going there.  Maybe someone is getting things mixed up, including whoever wrote the article that said Certus was locating on the ground floor of the old NBSC building.    

Hhmmm a starbucks would be good in that spot or a restaurant in general in that spot

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

It looks like The Hub at Columbia (former SCANA building) has started leasing. I think this is the most transformative project being built in the city, especially now that the city is tackling the homeless issue on Main Street.

http://www.thestate.com/2013/09/24/2999921/student-housing-project-on-main.html

I have a feeling this will spur more development downtown.

Pastides expressed concern about building housing on Main Street (partially for safety concerns, partially because it's not in Innovista) and said he hoped it would attract grad students rather than undergrads. I have a feeling he might be half right because grad students might be more attracted to the urban, less collegiate feel.

The City Center Partnership has started saying "young professionals and students" when talking about the marketing.  The State newspaper is still heavy on the "student" rhetoric with "young professionals" taking second billing.  I have a feeling the market will take care of it and most will be young professionals and graduate students.