Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

That looks to be a pretty nice renovation of that building, which is somewhat nondescript as is: https://maps.google.com/maps?q=1213+lady+street+columbia+sc&ll=34.002857,-81.03344&spn=0.004865,0.009645&sll=34.003099,-81.033528&layer=c&cbp=13,311.2,,0,-14.87&cbll=34.002879,-81.033346&gl=us&hnear=1213+Lady+St,+Columbia,+South+Carolina+29201&t=m&z=17&panoid=s-dcNgNWHxXppEyAEznxbQ

It also reminds me of the renovation done on the building at 601 Gervais which is now TD Ameritrade offices not too long ago: http://www.studio2lr.com/projects_1218pulaski.html

• 3 weeks later...

I changed the title of this thread to include developments going on elsewhere in the CBD (outside of the Vista, of course).

Columbia developer Ben Arnold is buying the buildings at Assembly and Lady streets that now house Moe Levy’s, Reliable Pawn and Initially Yours. His plans: To refurbish 4,120 square feet along Lady Street as the new home of the CrossFit Vista gym.

Moe Levy’s will close in March. Reliable Pawn has the option to stay open through April 2016. Meanwhile, Arnold will look for a major retailer or restaurant — or both — to fill 5,000 square feet of space. Initially Yours, a luggage and monogramming store, will remain open.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

So this is awesome! I've always seen this building as an abused relic, and have often thought mixed-use would best suit the space. But I also think up-fitting it for apartments over offices would be the best choice - Main Street could always use more apartments and residents, and retiring office space could spur further office redevelopment/construction.

http://www.thestate.com/2013/11/28/3128278/one-main-vies-for-designation.html

^ They elaborated today: a coffee shop bank. Personally I think this is a brilliant way to reach people or at minimum build some brand exposure. I also like that they are serving food and coffee made by Columbia area companies. South Carolinians in general are very proud of their state and it seems natural to extend this sense of pride to consuming local food (similar to what you see in a lot of Texas).

http://www.thestate.com/2013/06/03/2800491/first-citizens-brewing-up-coffee.html

Surely it will qualify.  What were they thinking?

• 4 weeks later...

Has anyone notice the BB&T Banking sign on top of the Former Southtrust Tower in Downtown. its rather fitting specially at night like tonight when it low clouds and raining. it fits in with the skyline

I've been watching.  It appears they're stopping at two signs - the one on the Assembly Street side overlooking the Vista and the one visible from Assembly and Laurel.  Those spots make the most sense as far as being visible to the most people, but I'd like to see one on the front of the building.  When they first built that building and put the AT&T signs up, one when on the top left corner of the back of the building and one on the right top corner on the Assembly Street side where they've just put the new BB&T sign.  When I drove up Assembly from Blossom then, I felt like the building needed some dressing up with a logo at the top.  I'm used to it without one now, but I'd still like to see one. 

• 5 weeks later...

It's hard to visualize the full extent to which Main Street is changing without visiting Columbia, but it sounds truly revolutionary.

Seeing it change gradually might make it harder to appreciate the magnitude.  It would be interesting to hear from someone who hasn't been here in a couple of years.  That's not to say the transformation is complete.  It is still in progress, but it should soon hit the critical mass level and complement the Vista seamlessly. 

• 2 months later...

Central business district renovation progress

In order:

Painting of The Hub

Lexington State Bank on Lady Street

Former USC Incubator (apparently just sold)

Three shots of the Merrill Lynch building's stripping

post-3545-0-35005000-1398103314_thumb.jp

post-3545-0-21075400-1398103328_thumb.jp

post-3545-0-73862700-1398103347_thumb.jp

post-3545-0-12365500-1398103363_thumb.jp

post-3545-0-30529900-1398103376_thumb.jp

post-3545-0-57635600-1398103386_thumb.jp

Edited by CorgiMatt

• 4 weeks later...

The old AgFirst building has been sold. Although future plans for the former AgFirst building have not been released, president and CEO of City Center Partnership Matt Kennell said he expects the building will be a mix-used development offering a combination of residential and commercial space.

“I have heard it’s going to have residential and other possibilities there, which is also exciting to get a mix of people living and working downtown,” Kennell said.