Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

• 4 weeks later...

• 3 weeks later...

http://www.thestate.com/2014/07/01/3542568/clarion-hotel-converting-to-hilton.html

Clarion Hotel converting to Hilton Garden Inn/Home2 Suites, adding jobs

The historic Clarion Hotel Downtown will change its brand, add capacity and undergo a facelift, its owners announced Tuesday.

The hotel, located at 1615 Gervais St., will convert to a Hilton Garden Inn/Home2 Suites and increase its lodging capacity to 230 rooms, owner Rick Patel said in morning news conference. The hotel also will add meeting space and get a facelift for a more modern look.

Staff at the hotel will double to 150 employees, officials said, with opening day planned in January 2016.

Edited by krazeeboi
Please refrain from copying and pasting entire articles and only include relevant excerpts. Thanks.
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

If y'all haven't been by to see the progress being made on the Keenan Building, you should. I drove by yesterday, and there is a truly good lookin' building under all that mess. They are peeling back the layers to reveal a much better looking structure. Its a definite improvement.   

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Just to be clear, it's the building that's catty-corner from Mast General, not directly across the street from it. It's the McCrory building on the southeast corner of Main and Taylor.

Sorry about that. I'm sure you're right. Looking forward to continued development in the area spurred by the Hub.

• 2 weeks later...

The Nick is working on their second floor theater.

http://www.free-times.com/news/nickelodeon-begins-construction-on-upstairs-theater-111214

Pita's Mediterranean restaurant opening at BOA.

http://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/53038-new-pitas-restaurant-opens-at-boa-plaza?rss=0

Edited by SouthernBorn

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I was wondering what they would do with the Moe Levy's half of the block. Ben Arnold is developing lofts connect to the Palms (The Lofts at the Palms) and trying to draw interest for a rooftop restaurant from restaurateurs in Charleston and Asheville, as well as national chains. This is really prime space and as the article outlines, is a great way to connect Main Street to the Vista. Moe Levy's was a local institution, but new retailers can only help increase foot traffic in the area.

http://www.thestate.com/2015/01/16/3931301/new-apartments-retail-planned.html?sp=/99/101/

• Like 1

I was wondering what they would do with the Moe Levy's half of the block. Ben Arnold is developing lofts connect to the Palms (The Lofts at the Palms) and trying to draw interest for a rooftop restaurant from restaurateurs in Charleston and Asheville, as well as national chains. This is really prime space and as the article outlines, is a great way to connect Main Street to the Vista. Moe Levy's was a local institution, but new retailers can only help increase foot traffic in the area.

http://www.thestate.com/2015/01/16/3931301/new-apartments-retail-planned.html?sp=/99/101/

Yes, this is a step in the right direction. Hopefully, something like this will help bridge the psychological gap that exists between the Vista and Main St. I suppose eventually Assembly St improvements will happen there, which will also help pedestrians feel safer to cross.

Have anyone heard anything about a store or restaurant opening up on The Hubs bottom floor yet? I see they've been gutting out the vacant space but no signs on the windows or doors saying coming soon or even for sale.

If I'm not mistaken I think last month they announced a fresh juice bar…based in Tucson and has 3(?) places currently will be opening there 4th bar in The Hub. Edited by SouthernBorn
  • Like 1

The City of Columbia is pursuing a purchase of the United Way of the Midlands property at 1800 Main Street...[Mayor Steve] Benjamin says he ultimately envisions the construction of a new building at 1800 Main, one that would be constructed as a public-private partnership. Under that idea, the city would occupy a portion of the building and the private sector would own and occupy a portion of that building.

When asked if such a structure would be considered a high-rise, the mayor said that descriptor was “fair and accurate.”

Consolidating city offices into a potential new structure at 1800 Main would allow the city to eventually sell the property at Washington Square where it currently has some offices. 

Well downtown definitely has a shortage of class A office space, and a building at this location could get the ball rolling on the completion of the Main Street streetscape project. It could also potentially extend pedestrian activity beyond the 1700 block.

Totally agree. The United Way building is pretty small and looks outdated, at least from the outside. Developers these days always want an anchor tenant and in Columbia, government is certainly a large one. The nice thing about a public-private partnership is that the building itself would probably be much more attractive than the classic concrete slab buildings government is so known for. I think 15 stories is probably a reasonable expectation. It's not exactly a high rise, but it would add density in that area of town and help fill the height gap.