Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

Has any more information come to light about a new "tower" on Main, which would house the City's administrative offices, and other tenants? This was something Mayor Benjamin spoke about recently. I wonder what would constitute a "tower"/"skyscraper" anyway..

Edited by colasc

Has any more information come to light about a new "tower" on Main, which would house the City's administrative offices, and other tenants? This was something Mayor Benjamin spoke about recently. I wonder what would constitute a "tower"/"skyscraper" anyway..

anything 12 stories or higher is considered a Tower.

Edited by growingup15

I doubt this will materialize for a while. They just purchased the building where the tower will presumably go and getting the funding for such a big undertaking should take at least a year if not much longer. In all honesty, the city seems a little overextended at the moment between the pricey sewer repairs, the Bull Street commitments, the potential Finlay Park renovation, and of course all the recurring maintenance. They are borrowing against future penny tax revenue for all of the transportation projects and I would imagine that they do not want to let the debt go so high that it becomes unmanageable.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

SCE&G sold off its former customer service center at Lady and Marion.

http://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/54031-sce-amp-g-sells-lady-street-property-buyer-unknown?rss=0

The building is only 27k sq. ft., rather old looking, and in a great location, which makes me think this is prime for redevelopment. The residential market is heating up downtown and while many apartments have been announced, they are almost all student oriented. The former Dakota and AgFirst redevelopments hit the baby boomer downsize/young professional market, but that is still a relatively small number of units. I could see this being the next project to target that space.

SCE&G sold off its former customer service center at Lady and Marion.

http://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/54031-sce-amp-g-sells-lady-street-property-buyer-unknown?rss=0

The building is only 27k sq. ft., rather old looking, and in a great location, which makes me think this is prime for redevelopment. The residential market is heating up downtown and while many apartments have been announced, they are almost all student oriented. The former Dakota and AgFirst redevelopments hit the baby boomer downsize/young professional market, but that is still a relatively small number of units. I could see this being the next project to target that space.

Mixed used that seems to be the trend. I would say I hope the buyer would use it for that.

• 2 months later...

Starbucks Evening will open July 20, where the Sherlock Holmes Pub used to be. Apparently there are only 40 of them in the country, and only 3 in the Southeast, so far. It will essentially be a full-service restaurant which will serve beer and wine. I think that will be a nice addition to Main, even though I miss the Sherlock Holmes. They had Tennent's on tap, and bowls of popcorn.      

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

We have new businesses set to open soon on Main, Lady, and Gervais Streets. Grill Marks and Wired Goat will be opening by next month, a juice bar on Lady, and a California based pizza joint next to WOLO studios on Main (this will be its first East Coast location, with plans to expand to GA and NC at some point).

• Like 1

We have new businesses set to open soon on Main, Lady, and Gervais Streets. Grill Marks and Wired Goat will be opening by next month, a juice bar on Lady, and a California based pizza joint next to WOLO studios on Main (this will be its first East Coast location, with plans to expand to GA and NC at some point).

How interesting that they are building their first East Coast location in Columbia, rather than bigger Mid-Atlantic/Northeastern cities or even Charleston, Greenville, Atlanta, or Charlotte.

• Like 1

The Ag First project is underway, and I am glad to hear "Tunnelvision" will remain. However, I am curious if the city still plans to relocate Blue Sky's "Busted Plug" to Finlay Park. I know the idea was met with resistance from the artist, who took offense. Has any agreement/timetable been established for its relocation? I believe the hospital had/has plans to build a parking garage on that spot.

Edited by colasc
  • Like 1

I'm not sure on the planning, but it doesn't make any sense to move it to Finlay if they're going to heavily renovate the park in the next few years. 

i think moving it to the park would be a great move and attraction. 

Along with the renovation it could be something put there now and built around the busted plug.

The Ag First project is underway, and I am glad to hear "Tunnelvision" will remain. However, I am curious if the city still plans to relocate Blue Sky's "Busted Plug" to Finlay Park. I know the idea was met with resistance from the artist, who took offense. Has any agreement/timetable been established for its relocation? I believe the hospital had/has plans to build a parking garage on that spot.

A garage would look nice at this corner it would fit nicely in that spot kinda filling in that parking crater

A bar and restaurant called Main Street Public House is set to open later this year in the McCrory building at the corner of Main and Taylor streets in Columbia.

Free Times has confirmed that the owner of Charleston's King Street Public House, a sports bar and gastropub that opened last year on Charleston's upscale downtown corridor, is planning to open a restaurant and bar here. A liquor notice for the business went up this week. 

http://www.free-times.com/blogs/charleston-sports-bar-owner-to-open-restaurant-on-columbias-main-street

This is really good I can already imagine foot traffic increasing on Main in the coming months after it opens

I wanted to write about a serious problem in my hometown, which is homelessness. I have a lot of compassion and sympathy for the many people who wander our downtown streets, with nowhere to go, and nothing to do. Many of them cope with substance abuse and/or mental health issues. I've lived here in Columbia for 44 years. I know this town so well, I even know the various homeless persons: there was the Peruvian Indian walking man (turns out he was actually from Vietnam, as reported in a story in the Free Times some years back), a guy who looks just like Santa Claus, Black Jesus/Pope ( a robe wearing, barefoot man), and the latest human being I've seen a lot of , and in whom I've taken great interest-a psychotic young man, who walks all day, shouting angry remarks at invisible adversaries, and carrying about four bags (surely containing all his worldly possessions), but scaring the crap out of anyone, whose paths he crosses. I am not one to claim I have the answer; any town of some size has the problem of homeless persons. However, in my hometown, the two or three facilities charged with the care and protection of said persons, all lie within about six city blocks, on or just off Main Street, in the area the city wants to promote in its renaissance of development. Just this very week, I have been in close proximity with the aforementioned psychotic person. On Monday, upon reporting for work at my office near Finlay Park, he appeared, having just been sent on his way, no doubt, by the well intentioned folks at the Oliver Gospel Mission. I had just parked my car, and heard him shout something in my direction. I waived, thinking momentarily, and in my morning, under-caffeinated stupor, that he was greeting me. In fact, he was, but in a profane and threatening manner. I saw him again twice more, most recently yesterday, as I was collecting my daughter at art camp at the museum. He was walking on Main, numerous bags in hand, and across shoulders, cussing away as if someone had just run over his dog. 

I have deep and sincere concern for these folks. Budget cuts to mental health initiatives, and general apathy from a public that perceives them as throwaways, keeps these zombies walking, walking, walking, walking our streets. Again, I'm not here with an answer. However, I know this: if we don't fix this problem, or make it considerably better, we are not firing on all cylinders as a city. Additionally, Don Tomlin's luxury apartment towers, and the newly announced Main Street Public House, won't work. People need to feel safe. People don't like being molested by beggars. People won't invest their hard earned money in areas where safety is questionable. So, as I see it, we have a decision to make, collectively, as Columbians. We can't continue to sweep it under the rug. Would the CBD be better, cleaner, safer, without the mission, or the other services? I think the answer is undoubtedly a "yes". Should those services be relocated to allow our downtown to reach its full development potential? I don't know. Should there be more services, less services, more/different loitering laws, more enforcement of existing laws? I am unsure. I have never seen such explosive growth as our city now is enjoying-it makes me giddy with pride and excitement. However, one thing that has not changed, and must improve for all of our citizens to enjoy the full potential of our new period of growth, is for real energy, focus, and money (most likely), be directed as this problem. 

Sorry for the rant, but it is something that has been on my mind a lot recently, and something none of us can ignore downtown, if we are awake with our eyes open.        

• Like 2

Columbia, South Carolina, the United States, and the rest of the world absolutely needs to ramp up mental health care, indigent care, and rehabilitative support. While that much is true, the idea that the city should move the least fortunate among us out of sight and out of mind is at least misguided. The city has no power to move a private charity off of land that they own, and any attempt to zone those services into the hinterlands would be costly, chaotic, and morally condemnable. I want Columbia to succeed, but if "really making it" as a city means chewing up human life, frankly, Columbia doesn't deserve to make it.

Edited by Spes

Columbia, South Carolina, the United States, and the rest of the world absolutely needs to ramp up mental health care, indigent care, and rehabilitative support. While that much is true, the idea that the city should move the least fortunate among us out of sight and out of mind is at least misguided. The city has no power to move a private charity off of land that they own, and any attempt to zone those services into the hinterlands would be costly, chaotic, and morally condemnable. I want Columbia to succeed, but if "really making it" as a city means chewing up human life, frankly, Columbia doesn't deserve to make it.

Just to be clear, I wasn't endorsing the relocation of such services. I am simply saying it is a problem, and will continue to be if we continue to simply look the other way. I don't know if it is a problem that can be "solved", but it most certainly can be improved.

I think The whole relocating thing is wrong all together. because when i was in Atlanta I talked to this Homeless women when i was there and thats what Atlanta did with their homeless. they moved them outside of the city when the olympics was coming to town. threw them outside of the city far away and said well yall have to find yall way around now. 

Rehabilitation is a good thing but only if the individual wants the help. the ones who wants the help should recieve it.  the ones who refuses help should be the ones that should be forced out of the city because they dont want better. now for these "homeless" shelters I call bullcrap on all of them because for the face of when me and my family was homeless 6 years ago. those shelters wouldnt take us in at all. They told me I had to be put up in a foster home. my father had to be on the streets and my mom was the only one aloud help. basically told us they wont help us unless we was a broken family. my parents divorced and what not. We need a new type of shelter in columbia that actually helps people and family. that actually cares about the ones who wants to make it. but for now we have major shelters in downtown who doesnt gives 2 rats butt about the people they are supposely" helping"

This is such a complex issue. Homeless people tend to congregate near shelters and food banks for quick access to those services. In larger cities, their impact is felt less as they mix with local residents, tourists, and nearby workers. Chinatown and Farragut Square in DC are good examples of this: people frequent the areas even though they have very large homeless populations. This could happen in Columbia, but it will take time.

Actually solving some of the root causes of homelessness that y'all mentioned will be very difficult. The state does not heavily fund mental health care and the city is not in a great position to supplement the existing services given all the financial demands it currently faces (i.e. Columbia Common construction, sewer system repairs, new infrastructure spending, et. al.). Charlotte recently announced that it was investing in housing placement to address homelessness. This works for people who are homeless for financial reasons, but still leaves those that are homeless for drug or alcohol addiction or mental health reasons. The challenge again is Columbia's financial ability to pay for the housing. If it can't afford to keep the winter shelter open throughout the year, I doubt it will be able to do anything more to help house and care for the homeless population. 

I hope that the new students living downtown will help dilute the effect over time and allow the CBD to continue its upward trajectory.