Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

I'm in favor of a mixed-use development at Gervais and Assembly that incorporates parking (as one will almost certainly have to), but I don't think that very high-profile intersection should host a standalone parking garage with retail on the ground floor. That would be among the hugest missed opportunities in the city's development history IMO.

• Like 2

I'm in favor of a mixed-use development at Gervais and Assembly that incorporates parking (as one will almost certainly have to), but I don't think that very high-profile intersection should host a standalone parking garage with retail on the ground floor. That would be among the hugest missed opportunities in the city's development history IMO.

Yes, those are such high-profile and important plots of land (both sides of the Gervais/Assembly corner) - they need to be something special. It's all about the connectivity of Main street to the Vista, and it is what people will see when they visit the State House. It has to be people-friendly, aesthetically pleasing, and perhaps even making a statement. I hope something goes there that will really enhance our city. Is there any actual movement on that site?

Edited by mr. chips
  • Like 1

Yes, those are such high-profile and important plots of land (both sides of the Gervais/Assembly corner) - they need to be something special. It's all about the connectivity of Main street to the Vista, and it is what people will see when they visit the State House. It has to be people-friendly, aesthetically pleasing, and perhaps even making a statement. I hope something goes there that will really enhance our city. As there any actual movement on that site?

I've heard of absolutely no movement on that site.

Has anyone heard anything new coming to NOMA Area? like mixed development or what not. I was reading a post on City-data about the 277-I126 Connector again. im not sure if the city is looking into building that again because the land in that area from where they wanted to develop this is still empty. if not then i guess that land would be a good spot for mid rise apartments.

IDK i really want to see a connector interstate from 277-126 because honestly i frequent the elmwood area and i would be nice if i wouldnt have to worry about the hellish traffic on elmwood in the mornings and at 5pm during the rush hour commute. and in the wake of the bull street commons development and possible traffic grid lock nightmare thats waiting to ensue I think this Connector through the NOMA Area would be great now to start developing so people can travel through Downtown instead of being stuck.

its just my opinion I would like to see that happen to relieve traffic. I know some of you will disagree on this like the Elmwood Association did but We really need it for columbia to stay ahead of the Growth curve.

The Columbia Regional Business Journal reports hotelier Rick Patel is planning to build three new hotels downtown. It also said the restaurant in the new hotel to be constructed on the Clarion site will be a..wait for it...wait for it..Chili's..ughh. I hope his other hotels, which are going to be more central, will not go cheap/cheesy on any details.

The Columbia Regional Business Journal reports hotelier Rick Patel is planning to build three new hotels downtown. It also said the restaurant in the new hotel to be constructed on the Clarion site will be a..wait for it...wait for it..Chili's..ughh. I hope his other hotels, which are going to be more central, will not go cheap/cheesy on any details.

If you are thinking what im thinking. you are hoping just like me that a couple if not all the hotels planned to be built will be mid- high rises. something along the 15-20 stories.

I think Columbia has a strong market for such a hotel now. (Hoping for a High Rise Westin)

If you are thinking what im thinking. you are hoping just like me that a couple if not all the hotels planned to be built will be mid- high rises. something along the 15-20 stories.
I think Columbia has a strong market for such a hotel now. (Hoping for a High Rise Westin)

It was indicated plans were for three hotels: one on Sumter, Main, and Elmwood. I am sure a highrise on Sumter and Main would fit right in, but would be unsure about Elmwood. He is probably wanting to build across the street from Bull St Common, as I know of no other hotels on Elmwood.

• Like 1

It was indicated plans were for three hotels: one on Sumter, Main, and Elmwood. I am sure a highrise on Sumter and Main would fit right in, but would be unsure about Elmwood. He is probably wanting to build across the street from Bull St Common, as I know of no other hotels on Elmwood.

Yeah a Hotel at like where the El Cheapo is at or at the corner or Main and Elmwood that lot on Main and Elmwood has been a mess and needs redevelopment bad and its close proximity to Bull St Commons. i really dont know where where one on Sumter St will be at. but i  hope at least 2 of them are at least 15+ floors

Yeah a Hotel at like where the El Cheapo is at or at the corner or Main and Elmwood that lot on Main and Elmwood has been a mess and needs redevelopment bad and its close proximity to Bull St Commons. i really dont know where where one on Sumter St will be at. but i  hope at least 2 of them are at least 15+ floors

Right, I was thinking the El Cheapo property is what he is eyeing. It would give close access to Bull St Common. Just let it be a decent brand and design..please.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone know what exactly is under construction on Bull Street just a block south of the intersection with Taylor? It is adjacent to a building being rehabbed for condos/apartments (the building with Blue Sky's "Tunnelvision" mural). Perhaps it is only a parking structure for the new units.

Does anyone know what exactly is under construction on Bull Street just a block south of the intersection with Taylor? It is adjacent to a building being rehabbed for condos/apartments (the building with Blue Sky's "Tunnelvision" mural). Perhaps it is only a parking structure for the new units.

The new YMCA building.

Corners finally the ciyt is looking into Corner development and they mention and even in the picture in the story they show Corner or Gervais & Assembly which is in desperate need of development

http://www.thestate.com/news/business/article35846214.html

Student housing is the LAST thing that needs to be developed at Gervais and Assembly. Enough of those developments already. Like the article said, more good jobs need to be created in downtown to lure the young professional class.

• Like 1

I'm amazed this guy paid $1M for the Arcade. More power to him if he thinks he can recoup that amount and I agree that the basement is primed for a wine bar or pub, but I wonder how the economics will work. The retail spaces are so small.

http://columbiabusinessreport.com/news/55742-new-owner-aims-to-restore-arcade-rsquo-s-luster

• Like 1

$19 a square foot for the building as is and he's talking about another $1.5M in renovations (for $49/sq. ft.). The building may be 51,000 square feet on paper, but I wonder how much of that figure represents the arcade walkway? At any rate, I think he will need to build from the outside in as restaurants and retailers will want proven foot traffic before committing to the interior. If he can anchor the Lady Street side with something of note, the sales job may become easier. Latta Arcade in Charlotte caters to the business crowd in nearby buildings. Salsarita's and Chick-fil-a provide plenty of overflow business for whatever else is in there. Neither will fit realistically, but I'm sure something similar would serve to draw people.

$19 a square foot for the building as is and he's talking about another $1.5M in renovations (for $49/sq. ft.). The building may be 51,000 square feet on paper, but I wonder how much of that figure represents the arcade walkway? At any rate, I think he will need to build from the outside in as restaurants and retailers will want proven foot traffic before committing to the interior. If he can anchor the Lady Street side with something of note, the sales job may become easier. Latta Arcade in Charlotte caters to the business crowd in nearby buildings. Salsarita's and Chick-fil-a provide plenty of overflow business for whatever else is in there. Neither will fit realistically, but I'm sure something similar would serve to draw people.

The Post and Courier had a story up the other day about a new "food hall" in Charleston's Tobacco Warehouse. It pointed to other such halls in cities such as Los Angeles and Washington DC, as bringing together lots of different food vendors under one roof, making it a destination. Would you think something like that, albeit on a much smaller scale, could work in the Arcade?