Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

10 hours ago, mpretori said:

Not gonna happen now. Tomorrow you will see headlines "preservationists win battle against developer" 

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article89428537.html

Did you read the full article? This isn't a surprise to the developers- they were already planning to move the building.

• Like 1

Not gonna happen now. Tomorrow you will see headlines "preservationists win battle against developer" 

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article89428537.html

Preservation of that building has not been a real issue since this project has been proposed but they will move the building. The only reason this has a chance of not being approved is because things staff have recommended has not been done. And they will have to comeback next month and it will be approved.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

49 minutes ago, growingup15 said:

3 building in downtown are getting renovated

http://www.thestate.com/news/business/article89622857.html

This is good stuff. Buildings like these represent the building blocks of a functional, vibrant downtown and I'm glad to see new life being breathed into them. The facade improvement project is one of the best things to happen to downtown.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, krazeeboi said:

This is good stuff. Buildings like these represent the building blocks of a functional, vibrant downtown and I'm glad to see new life being breathed into them. The facade improvement project is one of the best things to happen to downtown.

I was just talking to an Uber driver about how DC needs to mimic Columbia's facade improvement program. The return is very high because property owners usually want to do what they can to improve their buildings anyway and the subsidy acts as a nice incentive.

On 7/15/2016 at 9:55 PM, carolinagarnet said:

I was just talking to an Uber driver about how DC needs to mimic Columbia's facade improvement program. The return is very high because property owners usually want to do what they can to improve their buildings anyway and the subsidy acts as a nice incentive.

Hmmmm....where in DC exactly? For the most part, I think this area does a good job with preserving historic facades.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

In today's Cindy Ross Scoppe's article in today's State paper she mentions that " Cassie Cope reports that the only one of the projects that even makes an appearance on one of the Transportation Department’s many priority lists is the one involving Columbia’s eight-block South Main Street. " Apparently there is $3-million for that project. Has anyone seen plans yet? Is this really going to happen, or is it still in the works? It would be great if this could turn into a pedestrian friendly "mall", and a centerpiece of the campus.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, mr. chips said:

In today's Cindy Ross Scoppe's article in today's State paper she mentions that " Cassie Cope reports that the only one of the projects that even makes an appearance on one of the Transportation Department’s many priority lists is the one involving Columbia’s eight-block South Main Street. " Apparently there is $3-million for that project. Has anyone seen plans yet? Is this really going to happen, or is it still in the works? It would be great if this could turn into a pedestrian friendly "mall", and a centerpiece of the campus.

"Mr. Huggins gave a progress report on the South Main Street District vision that included securing federal and state funding to bury utility lines, and other beautification improvements."

http://sc.edu/about/offices_and_divisions/board_of_trustees/documents/minutes_archive/2016/b-g_042216.pdf

It's not a full pedestrian mall, but burying the lines is huge and whatever "beautification projects" constitutes will help improve the pavement-y feel of the area.

Update: 

University of South Carolina (Columbia)– 

South Main Street StreetscapeImprovements

Federal Funds Requested: $1,000,000

·         Installation of ADA compliant sidewalks, traffic signal upgrades, and minor landscaping along South Main Street, beginning from Blossom Street to Pendleton Street.

http://info.scdot.org/PressRelease/Lists/Posts/Post.aspx?List=02fa2710-0281-4b71-8897-59896828dc20&ID=2224&Web=e9ffbcd1-2766-4d9e-86d4-08feb4f17e3e

Edited by carolinagarnet

12 minutes ago, mpretori said:

new apartments coming to downtown called "the lofts at the capital" Looks really neat!

www.columbiasc.gov/depts/planning-boards-commissions/ddrc/agendas/20160908/main933_937_pkt_2016sep8.pdf

Looks great! Since the existing building is remaining and is not being incorporated into the new building, I guess they are planning to rent out the space?

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/24/2016 at 9:53 PM, growingup15 said:

Matt Kennell told me that.  He said that he believe it's being turned into green space

The entire block? This is the old  Auto dealership?  I don't remember the city ever buying it but I could have missed that. This is a bad place for green space unless they are going to do it right by making a substantial investment into it. Even then, what is the rationale given the condition of nearby Finlay Park? 

4 hours ago, vicupstate said:

The entire block? This is the old  Auto dealership?  I don't remember the city ever buying it but I could have missed that. This is a bad place for green space unless they are going to do it right by making a substantial investment into it. Even then, what is the rationale given the condition of nearby Finlay Park? 

I believe it's just the half block that borders Elmwood and it's owned by a church, not the city.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
21 hours ago, growingup15 said:

I saw some type of signage and rendering next to the current fire hydrant today it was by NAI Avant. I couldn't see it but it looked like a massive building planned for that corner. Anyone might know what it might be?

I saw that sign, too. I'm guessing it is the medical office building they eventually want to construct there, hence all the discussion about what to do with Busted Plug.

• Like 1