Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

On 10/8/2019 at 11:22 PM, WoCo13 said:

Also, announced today a food hall is locating in the former Tapps Art Center with a brewery!!  

https://colatoday.6amcity.com/sanctuary-food-hall-columbia-
sc/

https://squarefeetstudio.com/projects/tapps-food-hall-brewery/

I could not get the link for the brewery article to work. That sounds very promising, though. Will it be one of the Cola breweries we are already familiar with? Always good to see another Wofford guy on here!

• 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Main street continues to improve.  I was visiting there on Saturday afternoon and there was quite a lot of foot traffic compared to 10 years ago (really has just been a constant trend).  The Nickelodeon and Art Museum drives a lot of that (I went to Van Gogh, which was just OK).

As an aside, I am still surprised how many empty surface lots are along Assembly.  Some apartment developments instead of those would really help spur foot traffic.  I guess the demand just isn't there.

• 1 month later...

Driving down Assembly today at lunch, when I noticed a massive gap at the corner with Lady St, where Moe Levy's used to be. When I say gap, I mean to say half a city block is completely gone. Demolition looks complete. The Palms at Lady (cheesy name- I dislike every new development incoporating the "at"-sounds pretentious as hell, but I digress) will be a six story, high end apartment complex. It should have ground level retail, and is scheduled to begin construction in the 2nd quarter of this year. On a side note, I am looking forward to seeing site prep on the opposite side of Assembly, a little further north, for the Edge. As far as I know this 15 story apartment complex is still a go.  

Edited by victory

• 3 weeks later...

The Edge tower has passed muster, and has the green light to proceed. I stand corrected from my previous post, as it is scheduled to be 16 stories, not 15. I hope the hit to our economy will not prevent this being built, as it will help fill out our downtown skyline some. 

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2020 at 11:31 AM, rancenc said:

Great aerial view of downtown Columbia!

Some good views of downtown. One thing which is glaringly obvious when seen from above, is the multitude of surface parking lots. Like most urbanists, I would like to see those disappear.

• Like 1

On 2/25/2020 at 6:36 PM, victory said:

Driving down Assembly today at lunch, when I noticed a massive gap at the corner with Lady St, where Moe Levy's used to be. When I say gap, I mean to say half a city block is completely gone. Demolition looks complete. The Palms at Lady (cheesy name- I dislike every new development incoporating the "at"-sounds pretentious as hell, but I digress) will be a six story, high end apartment complex. It should have ground level retail, and is scheduled to begin construction in the 2nd quarter of this year.

Rancenc's video at the 3:49 mark shows that partially demolished block where the Palms at Lady is going up. Construction began this week as a matter of fact.

14 hours ago, victory said:

80 new apartments and rooftop bar for corner of Assembly and Laurel. https://www.thestate.com/news/local/article244221322.html  

I wouldn't have envisioned that type of reuse for the VA Building but I'm glad it's getting a second life as opposed to being demolished for parking like the feds wanted. It's interesting that it's an international developer based all the way in the Seychelles leading this effort. 

11 hours ago, krazeeboi said:

Rancenc's video at the 3:49 mark shows that partially demolished block where the Palms at Lady is going up. Construction began this week as a matter of fact.

I wouldn't have envisioned that type of reuse for the VA Building but I'm glad it's getting a second life as opposed to being demolished for parking like the feds wanted. It's interesting that it's an international developer based all the way in the Seychelles leading this effort. 

I thought the same about the developer.  Also, I agree on parking. There are lots of places to construct parking decks, but please don't tear down any more buildings for parking. 

1 hour ago, victory said:

I thought the same about the developer.  Also, I agree on parking. There are lots of places to construct parking decks, but please don't tear down any more buildings for parking. 

Does a new deck even need to be constructed? There's tons of on-street parking in the vicinity as well as existing decks on the other side of Assembly. 

On 6/28/2020 at 7:21 PM, Spartan said:

I always love to see old buildings restored. Can't wait for that work to be complete. Columbia's Main Street is taking a lot of positive steps these days.

Agreed. The King's Jewelers faux facade is still the worst offender and I'd love to see what the original facade looks like. I suspect it's only a matter of time before it's also restored.

3 hours ago, krazeeboi said:

Does a new deck even need to be constructed? There's tons of on-street parking in the vicinity as well as existing decks on the other side of Assembly. 

I wouldn't think there's a need, as you mentioned there are loads of spots on Assembly and adjoining side streets.