Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

• 1 month later...

• 1 month later...

https://www.postandcourier.com/columbia/business/former-armory-in-downtown-columbia-becoming-boutique-hotel/article_dff58da8-0f1b-11eb-98ee-7f67ce4e156b.html  Here's a new boutique hotel for a building near the corner of Assembly and Gervais, straddling the divide between the CBD and the Vista.  Really need the owner of that corner lot to sell. It must be the most valuable parcel of undeveloped property in Cola (corner parking lot at Gervais).

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's a new restaurant and microbrewery coming to Main street next year called "Smoked", which, as the name implies, will specialize in smoked meats, oysters and bevvies. Looking forward to this! By the way, if you've never tried a Rauchbier (smoked beer), you should step out of your comfort zone. Particularly good with charcuterie. 

• 5 months later...

Has anyone heard any update on the proposed condo tower to be constructed next door to the Richland County Library's main branch, on Assembly? I drive past that parcel regularly, and there is no sign of life. Did the project get killed by the pandemic? On the opposite side of the street, however, there is good progress being made on new condos.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/3/2021 at 6:27 AM, victory said:

Has anyone heard any update on the proposed condo tower to be constructed next door to the Richland County Library's main branch, on Assembly? I drive past that parcel regularly, and there is no sign of life. Did the project get killed by the pandemic? On the opposite side of the street, however, there is good progress being made on new condos.

Ground has been broken and it is officially under construction.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Drove by the construction site for the Standard yesterday. This is going to be fun, as a downtown worker, watching it rise throughout the fall. 17 stories in that location is going to really add to the urban density, and give the skyline a much needed and long overdue addition. Hopefully the success of this project will get the ball rolling again in Cola!

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 8/17/2021 at 7:08 AM, victory said:

Drove by the construction site for the Standard yesterday. This is going to be fun, as a downtown worker, watching it rise throughout the fall. 17 stories in that location is going to really add to the urban density, and give the skyline a much needed and long overdue addition. Hopefully the success of this project will get the ball rolling again in Cola!

There is a lot of steady activity on site. Will drive by again tomorrow to have a closer look, but the crane I can see from my office window. If anyone can snap a pic or two, and post, please feel free. My phone does not take the best photos. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Standard is starting to make progress. Several layers of parking deck, which sit at its base, are rising above Assembly. I really hope the final product is not as boxy as renderings would suggest, however, it has been so long since we've had significant construction downtown, and this 17 story building will add to the density and skyline, I will gladly take whatever we get.

• 2 weeks later...

I rolled through downtown Columbia a week ago and it was good to see it making progress. I also forgot about the apartment development going up at Lady and Assembly that replaced the one-story commercial buildings almost directly across from the Standard. Assembly is starting to get a bit of a canyon-like feel.

22 hours ago, krazeeboi said:

I rolled through downtown Columbia a week ago and it was good to see it making progress. I also forgot about the apartment development going up at Lady and Assembly that replaced the one-story commercial buildings almost directly across from the Standard. Assembly is starting to get a bit of a canyon-like feel.

Yes, indeed. That apartment development is called "The Palms" or some such thing, and they have hung signage on it. Once the 17 story one is up, it really will feel a bit like a canyon. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Every time I think the Standard is topping out, I see another floor added on. Was originally slated to be 17 floors, then was modified to 15. Does anyone know if this is the correct final height?  Also, anyone with a better camera than mine (which is everyone), could you please add some pictures to this thread? I made the approach down Assembly in the direction of USC the other day, and it definitely makes its presence known. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/6/2022 at 6:50 PM, victory said:

Every time I think the Standard is topping out, I see another floor added on. Was originally slated to be 17 floors, then was modified to 15. Does anyone know if this is the correct final height?  Also, anyone with a better camera than mine (which is everyone), could you please add some pictures to this thread? I made the approach down Assembly in the direction of USC the other day, and it definitely makes its presence known. 

It's finally topped out. :) 

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

image.png.8a2028c629a7a1aa774b558e60e3bdf4.png

The developers of a $48 million apartment complex across from the BullStreet District are planning live music and dining as part of their major redevelopment project.

Astral Development in February purchased six adjacent properties near the intersections of Elmwood Avenue and Bull Street northeast of the downtown center of Columbia. The New York group plans to seek a restaurant user for its proposed space with a live music or comedy stage in an effort to create a gathering space for the residents of the 193 apartments it’s building on the 1.6-acre site, as well as attract others from surrounding neighborhoods.

• 3 months later...