Jump to content

Main Street/CBD Developments


mainstreeter

Recommended Posts

  • 1 month later...

  • 1 month later...

https://www.postandcourier.com/columbia/business/former-armory-in-downtown-columbia-becoming-boutique-hotel/article_dff58da8-0f1b-11eb-98ee-7f67ce4e156b.html  Here's a new boutique hotel for a building near the corner of Assembly and Gervais, straddling the divide between the CBD and the Vista.  Really need the owner of that corner lot to sell. It must be the most valuable parcel of undeveloped property in Cola (corner parking lot at Gervais).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

There's a new restaurant and microbrewery coming to Main street next year called "Smoked", which, as the name implies, will specialize in smoked meats, oysters and bevvies. Looking forward to this! By the way, if you've never tried a Rauchbier (smoked beer), you should step out of your comfort zone. Particularly good with charcuterie. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 5 months later...

Has anyone heard any update on the proposed condo tower to be constructed next door to the Richland County Library's main branch, on Assembly? I drive past that parcel regularly, and there is no sign of life. Did the project get killed by the pandemic? On the opposite side of the street, however, there is good progress being made on new condos.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
On 6/3/2021 at 6:27 AM, victory said:

Has anyone heard any update on the proposed condo tower to be constructed next door to the Richland County Library's main branch, on Assembly? I drive past that parcel regularly, and there is no sign of life. Did the project get killed by the pandemic? On the opposite side of the street, however, there is good progress being made on new condos.

Ground has been broken and it is officially under construction.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


  • 1 month later...

Drove by the construction site for the Standard yesterday. This is going to be fun, as a downtown worker, watching it rise throughout the fall. 17 stories in that location is going to really add to the urban density, and give the skyline a much needed and long overdue addition. Hopefully the success of this project will get the ball rolling again in Cola!

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
On 8/17/2021 at 7:08 AM, victory said:

Drove by the construction site for the Standard yesterday. This is going to be fun, as a downtown worker, watching it rise throughout the fall. 17 stories in that location is going to really add to the urban density, and give the skyline a much needed and long overdue addition. Hopefully the success of this project will get the ball rolling again in Cola!

There is a lot of steady activity on site. Will drive by again tomorrow to have a closer look, but the crane I can see from my office window. If anyone can snap a pic or two, and post, please feel free. My phone does not take the best photos. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Standard is starting to make progress. Several layers of parking deck, which sit at its base, are rising above Assembly. I really hope the final product is not as boxy as renderings would suggest, however, it has been so long since we've had significant construction downtown, and this 17 story building will add to the density and skyline, I will gladly take whatever we get.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

I rolled through downtown Columbia a week ago and it was good to see it making progress. I also forgot about the apartment development going up at Lady and Assembly that replaced the one-story commercial buildings almost directly across from the Standard. Assembly is starting to get a bit of a canyon-like feel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


22 hours ago, krazeeboi said:

I rolled through downtown Columbia a week ago and it was good to see it making progress. I also forgot about the apartment development going up at Lady and Assembly that replaced the one-story commercial buildings almost directly across from the Standard. Assembly is starting to get a bit of a canyon-like feel.

Yes, indeed. That apartment development is called "The Palms" or some such thing, and they have hung signage on it. Once the 17 story one is up, it really will feel a bit like a canyon. :)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Every time I think the Standard is topping out, I see another floor added on. Was originally slated to be 17 floors, then was modified to 15. Does anyone know if this is the correct final height?  Also, anyone with a better camera than mine (which is everyone), could you please add some pictures to this thread? I made the approach down Assembly in the direction of USC the other day, and it definitely makes its presence known. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site you agree to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.