Main Street/CBD Developments

mainstreeter

Has anyone else seen this rendition of 1556 Main St.

1556_2.jpg

I am truley impressed with this building!

I talked with the architect who is working with the developer. She said the plan is for Sherlock Holmes to be in the basement of the building and for an attorney's office and retail to go on the ground floor with condos on the top two floors. She feels the rendering is very close to how it will turn out.

This will be a another great looking building for that block on Main. For Downtown Columbia to become a true 24/7 city, this kind and more developments must happen. Columbia is at a critical point in its growth and I just hope all of this residential develpments on Main St and Vista continues. It will add a tremendous amount to our city and how it is perceived.

I talked with the architect who is working with the developer. She said the plan is for Sherlock Holmes to be in the basement of the building and for an attorney's office and retail to go on the ground floor with condos on the top two floors. She feels the rendering is very close to how it will turn out.

Well I don't think DT development in Columbia will slow down anytime soon. The Innovista will definately catalyze more growth for the immediate DT area, that along with the popular trend now to build in the city core. The city is going in the right direction. I can't wait to see the rest of the future developments unveiled as the year goes on!

Hopefully as Main Street residential picks up more steam, we can have more lighting on Main and surrounding areas at night. That's one of my biggest gripes about the area.

When is the streetscaping on Main set to be completed?

Phase 2 is set to get started in early 2006. Phase 2 is from Hampton to at least Laurel. From Laurel to Elmwood might be phase 3.

I saw a crane delivering dry wall and studs into the upper floors of the barringer building a couple of weekends ago. They also look like they are starting the construction because I saw a bunch of Mashburn construction trucks down at the site. that will be a great residential project for main st

• 4 weeks later...

I saw a crane delivering dry wall and studs into the upper floors of the barringer building a couple of weekends ago. They also look like they are starting the construction because I saw a bunch of Mashburn construction trucks down at the site. that will be a great residential project for main st

Capitol Places updated their website and said The Barringer Building would be ready late summer 06 and that they will be taking reservations soon. This project will nearly double the amount of people living on Main St. Maybe one day the retail will follow - lets hope so

That's great about the progress on the Barringer Building. Along with the Palmetto Building hotel conversion, that corner will soon be hopping. As far as retail is concerned, yes I would like to see more retail on Main, but it isn't like there's no retail on Main. There are quite a few stores including some nice ones on Main and surrounding streets. Let's see what we can name on Main:

Granger Owings

Louries

House of Fabrics

Capital Newsstand

a million banks

Museum shop and the art museum

Sylvans Jewelers

Rios

Birds on a wire

Hampton Street Vineyard

Marriott Hotel

Atlanta Bread Co

The Arcade Mall

Chik-fil-a

Lottery drawing

Wig Shops

Mac's on Main

Villa Tronco

Hennesey's

Greek Boys

The Souper Spoon

Main & Taylor Shoes

The Factory (soon)

Tony's Pizza

Howard's Sports

The Army Navy Store

Columbia Ballet School

Cat & Cleaver

The Whig

City Cafe

Drake's Duck-in

Governor's House

Jammin Java

Kimbrell's

Jeff Morris furniture

King's Jewelers

Rising High

That's great about the progress on the Barringer Building. Along with the Palmetto Building hotel conversion, that corner will soon be hopping. As far as retail is concerned, yes I would like to see more retail on Main, but it isn't like there's no retail on Main. There are quite a few stores including some nice ones on Main and surrounding streets. Let's see what we can name on Main:

Granger Owings

Louries

House of Fabrics

Capital Newsstand

a million banks

Museum shop and the art museum

Sylvans Jewelers

Rios

Birds on a wire

Hampton Street Vineyard

Marriott Hotel

Atlanta Bread Co

The Arcade Mall

Chik-fil-a

Lottery drawing

Wig Shops

Mac's on Main

Villa Tronco

Hennesey's

Greek Boys

The Souper Spoon

Main & Taylor Shoes

The Factory (soon)

Tony's Pizza

Howard's Sports

The Army Navy Store

Columbia Ballet School

Cat & Cleaver

The Whig

City Cafe

Drake's Duck-in

Governor's House

Jammin Java

Kimbrell's

Jeff Morris furniture

King's Jewelers

Rising High

Jammin' Java is suddenly gone. The sign is gone and if you notice, the rendering of the new condo building they're building next door will join the Canal Dime Savings Bank building (the building JJ was in the basement of) with the basement entrance no where in sight. Did JJ move? The timing is weird because the owner/chef is featured in Free Times this week.

Jammin' Java is suddenly gone. The sign is gone and if you notice, the rendering of the new condo building they're building next door will join the Canal Dime Savings Bank building (the building JJ was in the basement of) with the basement entrance no where in sight. Did JJ move? The timing is weird because the owner/chef is featured in Free Times this week.

I talked to Jammin' Java last week while eating lunch and they are closed for the holiday. There is some construction being done over there this week while they are away that this why the sign is down. If you do look at the rendering, the door all the way to the left next to Canal Dime will be the entrance to Jammin' Java I was told by Nate of JJ.

I talked to Jammin' Java last week while eating lunch and they are closed for the holiday. There is some construction being done over there this week while they are away that this why the sign is down. If you do look at the rendering, the door all the way to the left next to Canal Dime will be the entrance to Jammin' Java I was told by Nate of JJ.

Superb. I rode by yesterday and saw the sign back up.

Heard today that Granger Owens is moving from Main Street to around the corner on Washington St. in the old Republic Bank building which is in between Barringer and Arcade on Washington. They said it will be a true showcase and has like 20 ft ceilings and dramatic entrance. THey are also moving the corporate hq there.

Heard today that Granger Owens is moving from Main Street to around the corner on Washington St. in the old Republic Bank building which is in between Barringer and Arcade on Washington. They said it will be a true showcase and has like 20 ft ceilings and dramatic entrance. THey are also moving the corporate hq there.

That will be cool and it will be across the street from the new Sheraton, too.

Where did you hear this?