Elmwood Cemetary flag

Larryfla

How is it possible that a city with an educated population like Charlotte could concentually decide to remove a historic tribute to your brave ancestors. As I see it, the Confederate flag was displayed in an appropriate setting where only Confederate soldiers were buried. Despite whatever interpretation individuals have of the flag, it represented the bravery that those buried around it displayed. They fought to save their homeland from an invasion that they more than likely did not want. Shame on Charlotte citizens for giving in to those that do not want the south to show respect for its brave forefathers.

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm white and I think moving the flag was probably for the best. We shouldn't have divisive confrontations in a cemetary. Let the dead rest without being surrounded by protests and flag-snatching intrigue.

The battle flag was not that widely used during the war, and may not have been historically accurate for the regiments buried there anyway.

How is it possible that a city with an educated population like Charlotte could concentually decide to remove a historic tribute to your brave ancestors.  As I see it, the Confederate flag was displayed in an appropriate setting where only Confederate soldiers were buried.  Despite whatever interpretation individuals have of the flag, it represented the bravery that those buried around it displayed.  They fought to save their homeland from an invasion that they more than likely did not want.  Shame on Charlotte citizens for giving in to those that do not want the south  to show respect for its brave forefathers.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well, after a short respite, it looks like Doug Hanks' protege is back posting on our boards, stirring the pot.

Although that's pretty logical, I think it's too harsh a point. Removing cemetraries is like removing history. Heck, plenty of people here will chime in to request that a minor old building be preserved...

I did think sometimes, that the cemetary protests were going over the top regarding the new rail line proposals. But-- the decendants get to have their say in today's political process, and I'm glad a compromise was possible.

Cemetaries are a waste of space.  The dead don't care. They should dig up the bodies, cremate the remains, and put a condo or something on the land to make it more useful for the living.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hmmm...never thought about it like that, but you do have a point. I guess being raised in a rural area where we didn't have condos explains it. I'm not quite ready to participate in your proposal though... :P

Cemetaries are a waste of space. The dead don't care. They should dig up the bodies, cremate the remains, and put a condo or something on the land to make it more useful for the living.

I have just one thing to say to that... Poltergeist !! Has Carol Ann not taught us all a valuable lesson haha?

Cemetaries are a waste of space.  The dead don't care. They should dig up the bodies, cremate the remains, and put a condo or something on the land to make it more useful for the living.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are a reasonable person so I think you probably see my point. Charlotte has lost lots of its character by removing historical landmarks. Elmwood Cemetary is a historical landmark. It is the burial place of famous people like Randolf Scott and many Civil War heroes. We can't go around erasing history. We could at least install the N.C. battle flags around the Confederate part of the cemetary. I know that in some cases we must make room for progress. I love the new high-rises that are about to be built in charlotte, but many people that were born in Charlotte that have roots there must be remembered and given some consideration.

First of all, I'm a native-born South Carolinian (the birthplace of the Conferacy). My hometown has the first monument dedicated to the memory of Confererate soldiers. It has no flag flying above it.

In Elmwood, there are head-stones in the Confederate section that have color Battle Flags on them. All of the grave markers have "CSA" on them. There is a large obelisk monument with "CSA" written on in it the middle of the Conderderate section. Is the flag really necessary?

You are a reasonable person so I think you probably see my point.  Charlotte has lost lots of its character by removing historical landmarks.  Elmwood Cemetary is a historical landmark.  It is the burial place of famous people like Randolf Scott and many Civil War heroes.  We can't go around erasing history.  We could at least install the N.C. battle flags around the Confederate part of the cemetary.  I know that in some cases we must make room for progress.  I love the new high-rises that are about to be built in charlotte, but many people that were born in Charlotte that have roots there must be remembered and given some consideration.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A field of rotting worm infested corpses is not my idea of a way to remember history. They can all be cremated and put in pretty urns and placed into a mausoleum with plaques that will much better describe the individual's achievements. This would be a much better way for people to remember history than having to look for decayed grave markers that has been destroyed by the weather.

A field of rotting worm infested corpses is not my idea of a way to remember history.  They can all be cremated and put in pretty urns and placed into a mausoleum with plaques that will much better describe the individual's achievements.  This would be a much better way for people to remember history than having to look for decayed grave markers that has been destroyed by the weather.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree that perhaps a cemetary is not the best use for that valuable land, but many people don't believe in cremation, so I doubt it would fly to dig up the bodies and cremate them, even if they were going to be honored in a mausoleum.

Indeed, it takes up such a large amount of land uptown that could be used for a great multitude of things. I say we do something with the land, it could possibly be a grand park with a mausoleum in the corner there or somewhere else.

It would probably be quite politically risky for this to be suggested.

First of all, I'm a native-born South Carolinian (the birthplace of the Conferacy).  My hometown has the first monument dedicated to the memory of Confererate soldiers.  It has no flag flying above it.   

In Elmwood, there are head-stones in the Confederate section that have color Battle Flags on them.  All of the grave markers have "CSA" on them.  There is a large obelisk monument with "CSA" written on in it the middle of the Conderderate section.  Is the flag really necessary?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If the flag had not already been in place I would agree that it would be an issue. However, to fall to the demands of a group (that has many other much more important issues to worry about) is absolutely wimpish.

If the flag had not already been in place I would agree that it would be an issue.  However, to fall to the demands of a  group (that has many other much more important issues to worry about) is absolutely wimpish.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Fine. You have spoken your mind. The Charlotte City Manager, who made the decision, is a wimp. Case closed. If you haven't figured it out by now, nobody is going to dance this dance with you.

Lets move on.

Don't they have high rise cemetaries in Japan?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

they have high rise cemetaries in singapore, which is one of the densest countries in the world. but historic cemetaries there and everywhere pretty much should just stay where they are...

sure, it would be great if that prime land were devoted to the living... but having a historic cemetary is also important for remembering the past... (and also a good place to jog :) ). As far as the flag is concerned... it seems to me that in a cemetary with so many confederate soldiers, that if anywhere on the planet that that flag should be allowed to fly, it would be there... the confederacy, its soldiers, and its ideals are all deceased. However, cemetaries are also places for the dead to rest, and so if by removing the flag, it helped to difuse tension or controversy, then i'm for it.

Anyways, speaking of cemetaries as wastes of space, I think maybe New Orleans is a good example of this. A lot of graves there are above ground due to the low elevation of the land there. It looks kinda freaky if you ask me.

I think New orleans have beautiful cemetaries. I think a grave should be respected.

I think if we were all cremated right after death and there were no cemetaries, it would be too much like umm... Logans Run... I like the humanity in having a place to remember our dead. A grave is more than a memorial for the deceased. It offers a place for their survivors to cope. A place to remember someone...

Archived