Atlanta, capital of hip hop

GA native_CFT

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well I totally agree with you that Atlanta is going to be the world's new hip-hop/rap capital. Not that this has any racial meaning to it, but a VERY lage majority of rap listeners are black and considering Atlanta's ethnic majority is black, why not have the capital here. Plus as mentioned above there are alot of rappers that hail from Atlanta, also a few others are Jermaine Dupri and Ying Yang Twins. There are also numerous small-time rappers. I don't like rap, I just watch MTV alot! ^_^ I would like to see a National Rap Festival being placed here in Atlanta. Imagine the HUGE impact that would have on Atlanta's economy and presence! A start with this is the free concerts they offer in Centennial Olympic Park, with artists like Fat Joe and I think Missy Elliott. I know that there will be these oldies and southern rebels that won't agree with Atlanta's turn for rap and hip-hop but if it benefits the city in an awesome way, I say more power to the city. It's the city's future and they might as well invest in it.

Well I totally agree with you that Atlanta is going to be the world's new hip-hop/rap capital. Not that this has any racial meaning to it, but a VERY lage majority of rap listeners are black and considering Atlanta's ethnic majority is black, why not have the capital here.

In terms of consumption via record sales, your statement is not true. Besides, many of the producers and artist who call Atlanta home don't even live within the city limits. Sixty one percent of Atlanta city's population is black. That's about 259,250 people. I highly doubt that was the inducement for so many producers and artist to start coming here. Atlanta is in Fulton county and once you look at the demographics of Fulton county, it changes dramatically. Fulton County is 48% white and 44% black. When you consider metropolitan Atlanta as a whole it is not as "black" as people think. I would say that metro Atlanta is still majority white. Although there is a sizable black population here and per census trends, it continues to grow.

I don't think that Atlanta is going to be the hip hop capital because of it's black population. Houston has a more sizable black population as does Chicago and New York. If that was the only factor then deduction would say that those cities should have it. I think what happened was that many producers and artist begin calling Atlanta home because there were able to live in relative anonyminity. As more producers moved here, they begin to have some of their artist move here. Usher was originally from Tennessee. His mother moved him here to be closer to a producer.

As word got out, more people started coming. The same exact thing could happen anywhere. It could happen in Witchita Kansas if enough producers move there thereby increasing Witchita's exposure to the music world. It's just a trend....it was once New York, now it's Atlanta....next it could be Houston....or Des Moines, IA.

were not talking about population figures and statistics, were talking about music. Many of the hottest hip hop and rap artists are from Atlanta and if you listen to their songs, many of them make references to Atlanta. Right now it is very fashionable for a hip hop or rap artist to be from Atlanta. Stop looking at figures and start listening to music!

Right now, Atlanta is the Southern capital of Hip Hop, I would still call New York the capital of Hip-Hop altogether. ATL is definitely high on the hip hop scale right now, but as Lady Celeste said earlier, that could change very quicky. Right now there are 3 cities in the South that produce alot of well known hip hop artists, Atlanta, New Orleans, and Memphis(all of which are at least 60% black in the inner-city, but i dont think that has much to do with it). All you need is someone to come in and start a record company in a city, and find people who can really rap. Master P did that in New Orleans and there are now alot of rappers from N.O. That obviously happened to ATL as well because there are ALOT of rappers from there, and Memphis came up quickly to.

Im not saying it wont last in Atlanta, because I think it will. But tommorow there could be someone down in Miami or up in Charlotte finding people who have real talent, and those cities could become centers of hip hop.

We'll just have to wait and see. But congrats to ATL for producing great talent, im glad to see that Atlanta continues to move forward :)

were not talking about population figures and statistics, were talking about music. Many of the hottest hip hop and rap artists are from Atlanta and if you listen to their songs, many of them make references to Atlanta. Right now it is very fashionable for a hip hop or rap artist to be from Atlanta. Stop looking at figures and start listening to music!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

GA native_CFT, stop with the boosterism. You made the claim that Atlanta is the Capital of HipHop so it is not unreasonable for people to ask you to provide some proof. If you have some actual figures to prove that it is the capital, then present them. If not, then stop offering your opinion as fact.

Not being a hip hop fan, but familiar with it & will on occasion listen to some of it (Outkast one of my preferred musicians) I find the claim of 'capital' to be a bit too much. There is still NYC & LA, not to mention I have heard of Houston as being a big hip hop city. So possibly not even of the south would be accurate.

But I would say Atlanta is the Capital of Crunk :)

woops. how can you say a majority of hip hop fans are black. that is totally false. the majority of rap records are bought by white people. also, i think that the racial demographics of a city has a lot to do with their respective music scenes. southern cities with large inner city black populations have a level of credibility that is necassary in rap music. des moines probably would have a credibilty issue.

I would agree that the title capital of hip hop is a bit much but Atlanta's music scene has been much, much broader than just one or two producers setting up shop here.  There are a couple that located here from elsewhere like the Laface team and Dallas Austin for example but more recently its been a surprisingly deep roster of homegrown talent, including several of the producers. Lil jon and his group, Jermaine Dupree, Outkast (produce their own material) and there are other lesser known homegrown producers. 

Actually, Houston is just now beginning to produce some hip-hop artists.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Houston's been in the game for a minute or two. The ghetto boys from the late 80's early 90's then Scarface went solo. Ugk's been around for more than a decade. remember they were on big pimpin in 99. Devin the Dudes been around etc.

Not being a hip hop fan, but familiar with it & will on occasion listen to some of it (Outkast one of my preferred musicians) I find the claim of 'capital' to be a bit too much.  There is still NYC & LA, not to mention I have heard of Houston as being a big hip hop city.  So possibly not even of the south would be accurate.

But I would say Atlanta is the Capital of Crunk :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I know i'm going to get bashed on this anyway but here it goes, Houston and LA are more near the Mexico border and that kind of takes away from the rap scene beacuse you have all these latinos listening to latin music and that gives these cities more of a latin music title. In Atlanta we have white and black people that listen to rap but the MAJORITY is black. In NYC you have people from all over the world living there and that gives NYC a title as an ethnic music city. If I drive anywhere in Atlanta I will always hear "Get Back" or "Drop it Like it's Hot" in the car next to me or behind me. That shows you what a majority of rap listeners we have here in Atlanta. but in LA or NYC I would drive up to a redlight and there would be a latino man listening to latin music or an Indian man listening to his tunes. What this all means, is that each major city in the world has it's musical idenity and Atlanta's is rap. But as somebody said these musical idenities are usually a trend and Atlanta's might be one.

Houston's been in the game for a minute or two.  The ghetto boys from the late 80's early 90's then Scarface went solo.  Ugk's been around for more than a decade.  remember they were on big pimpin in 99.  Devin the Dudes been around etc.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That statement was not intended to say there were no artists in existence from Houston before this very moment, just that its just now being perceived as a hotbed for hip hop artists.

Oh and we forgot the main rapper of our time from ATL, Tupac! They are also building an art's center near Stone Mountain that will ever change Atlanta's idenity as a "rap city."

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Tupac is not from Atlanta, dude. What are you talking about? And he's the "main rapper of our time?" Miami also has a huge latino community but is also a hotbed of hip-hop and has been for a long time.

That statement was not intended to say there were no artists in existence from Houston before this very moment, just that its just now being perceived as a hotbed for hip hop artists.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's cool. I just wanted to say that Houston has had a scene for a long time. But you are right, it is blowing up now with Mike Jones and Slim Thug and such.

Well I know i'm going to get bashed on this anyway but here it goes, Houston and LA are more near the Mexico border and that kind of takes away from the rap scene beacuse you have all these latinos listening to latin music and that gives these cities more of a latin music title. In Atlanta we have white and black people that listen to rap but the MAJORITY is black. In NYC you have people from all over the world living there and that gives NYC a title as an ethnic music city. If I drive anywhere in Atlanta I will always hear "Get Back" or "Drop it Like it's Hot" in the car next to me or behind me. That shows you what a majority of rap listeners we have here in Atlanta. but in LA or NYC I would drive up to a redlight and there would be a latino man listening to latin music or an Indian man listening to his tunes. What this all means, is that each major city in the world has it's musical idenity and Atlanta's is rap. But as somebody said these musical idenities are usually a trend and Atlanta's might be one.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

First of all Cosmoboy, that is simply not true. I am not going to take anything away from your personal experience. I have no idea where you drive when you are in Atlanta. What NCB and I tried to show you were facts. Not our opinion. Per record sales, a large percentage of rap music purchased is by suburban whites between 18 and 24. If that's the case then are they purchasing this music but not listening to it. That wouldn't make much sense.

I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule. I'm going strictly off of published record sales.

If you want to go off of personal expirences then I can offer mine as I think my travels take me over a much larger area of Atlanta than you probably do while "visiting." I have been on Buford Hwy in a heavily hispanic and asian area and I have heard rap coming from cars. I live far outside the city and I hear rap music. On many of these occassions, they are not black teenagers. I'm sorry but I can not buy your assertion.

You say a MAJORITY of rap listners are black....can you explain record sales then. Atlanta is not the sole snapshot for the US. I didn't make the numbers.....I just used them to refute your claim. It is simply not the case hun. I have a teenage daughter, she has friends.....they know about rap music and listen to it as well. Although I am alot more strict on what my child can and cannot listen to.

(not mad tone) Look Celeste it was just MY opinion. It was based on my experiences my beliefs. I didn't want to get in the whole topic of record sales and every other nit-picky think. Rap is a nationwide musical industry but it has a VERY stong presence here in the ATL hood. :)

Well everytime I turn to MTV I see Music Videos of people saying "A-town" "Dirty South" "ATL Shawty". Atlanta is making a huge mark on the map & is currently enjoying big success. However, I'm not really into most of the music. I only like OutKast & a few songs by Goodie Mob.

In the past few years, many of the biggest hip hop and rap stars have hailed from Atlanta. Whether it be Usher, Ciara, Ludacris, or Lil' Jon they all have given for their props to Atlanta or " The ATL "  What do you think of Atlanta's new position as the capital of hip hop?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well...I'm not trying to show jealously to Atlanta's new position in the music industry. I love it!!! I go to school in Atlanta & the energy is GREAT!!! Its a real great time to be in Atlanta right now.

But my point.......alot of these people that rep Atlanta....are nowhere NEAR being from Atlanta. Ludacris is from Chicago and moved to Atl when he was a teenager....Usher is from Chattanooga, TN....Jazze Pha is from Memphis, TN....& the list goes on & on. Ironically, I find this quite repetitive with alot of the people I come in contact with @ school. They come to Atlanta from their respective cities & towns....get caught up in the scene...and next month...their tellin' EVERYBODY that they're from Atlanta. I'm all up for boostin' up Atlanta's popularity....but I find it annoying when people don't stay true to who they are and where they're from. You should be proud of where you're from...b/c its a representation of who you are, in a slight sense.

Whether you hail from New York or Asscrack, Mississippi....be proud and claim where you from.

Well...I'm not trying to show jealously to Atlanta's new position in the music industry. I love it!!! I go to school in Atlanta & the energy is GREAT!!! Its a real great time to be in Atlanta right now.

But my point.......alot of these people that rep Atlanta....are nowhere NEAR being from Atlanta. Ludacris is from Chicago and moved to Atl when he was a teenager....Usher is from Chattanooga, TN....Jazze Pha is from Memphis, TN....& the list goes on & on. Ironically, I find this quite repetitive with alot of the people I come in contact with @ school. They come to Atlanta from their respective cities & towns....get caught up in the scene...and next month...their tellin' EVERYBODY that they're from Atlanta. I'm all up for boostin' up Atlanta's popularity....but I find it annoying when people don't stay true to who they are and where they're from. You should be proud of where you're from...b/c its a representation of who you are, in a slight sense.

Whether you hail from New York or Asscrack, Mississippi....be proud and claim where you from.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Well I moved to Atlanta after college and I certainly consider myself an Atlantan. Apparently this is what they consider to be their home so where they were born is irrelevant. Home is where the heart is.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I never knew Jazze Pha to big up Atl, he shouts himself out on record, not Atlanta. and Usher, everyone knows he's from TN but he's on an Atl label. So that means he"s claiming Atlanta? The list goes on and on? Who?

Atlanta rappers: Here are a few that I found from ATL. They are in no particular order of importance. I am sure I left some out. Looks to me that ATL is the King of Hip-Hop.

1. Outkast

2. Lil John and the Eastside Boyz (F.I.L.A. or Forever I Love Atlanta is a cool song)

3. Usher

4. Goodie Mob

5. Scoundrels

6. Jermaine Dupri

7. T.I.

8. Kilo

9. TLC

10. Bone Crusher

11. Youngbloodz

12. Ying Yang Twins

13. Young Jeezy

14. Ludacris

15. Cee-Lo

16. Killa Mike

17. Bow Wow

18. Lil Scrappy

19. Pastor Troy

20. Ciara

21. ATL

ATLMAN, don't you realize how many more hip hop acts are in other cities? Does a list of 21 acts truly support the arguement that Atlanta is the 'king of hip hop'? I'm not doubting Atlanta is a major hip hop city, but the arguement of primacy appears severely immature.

Archived