Atlanta, capital of hip hop

GA native_CFT

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As far as the mainstream Atlanta is the capital of the south. As far as the underground Houston and Memphis is the capital of the south. Houston's underground scene is known around the world. Much more than Atlanta's. I like some of the artists from Atlanta(Outkast, Goodie Mob, Jody Breeze) but I do not like the Ying Yang Twins and Bonecrusher type of artists which seems to me what Atlanta is putting out right now more than the Outkast type of artists. Cant knock ATL for that because every city has its fair share of wackness.

That statement was not intended to say there were no artists in existence from Houston before this very moment, just that its just now being perceived as a hotbed for hip hop artists.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah it has. It just never got over the hump like the Atlanta artists did. They signed Houston artists all the time for the longest but never did anything with it because Houston artists did not make music for the mainstream until recently.

BTW Memphis is the capital of crunk. They started it :P

Well...I'm not trying to show jealously to Atlanta's new position in the music industry. I love it!!! I go to school in Atlanta & the energy is GREAT!!! Its a real great time to be in Atlanta right now.

But my point.......alot of these people that rep Atlanta....are nowhere NEAR being from Atlanta. Ludacris is from Chicago and moved to Atl when he was a teenager....Usher is from Chattanooga, TN....Jazze Pha is from Memphis, TN....& the list goes on & on. Ironically, I find this quite repetitive with alot of the people I come in contact with @ school. They come to Atlanta from their respective cities & towns....get caught up in the scene...and next month...their tellin' EVERYBODY that they're from Atlanta. I'm all up for boostin' up Atlanta's popularity....but I find it annoying when people don't stay true to who they are and where they're from. You should be proud of where you're from...b/c its a representation of who you are, in a slight sense.

Whether you hail from New York or Asscrack, Mississippi....be proud and claim where you from.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are sooooooooo right! Also, Ciara is not from Atlanta, she is from TX.

You are sooooooooo right! Also, Ciara is not from Atlanta, she is from TX.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I could have sworn that heard that Ciara said she was from Atlanta and that she went to Riverdale high School in Clayton county. She is originally from Austin Tx but moved to Atlanta as a child....with her parents....so i guess for her Atlanta is home.

Also Bow Wow is from Ohio but he now calls Atlanta home. He lives in beautiful home in the Sugarloaf Country Club in Duluth.

All it takes is a little research people. I'm not even a hip hop fan and even I found this information.

Yeah I would say she is from Atlanta. Yeah she was born in Texas but she doesn't know a damn thing about it. All she knows is Atlanta.

Luda is from Illinois but moved to Atlanta in his teen years where you really start to care where you're really from. He knows he was born in Illinois but the majority of his life was spent in Atlanta which is why he reps it.

I think Big Boi from Outkast is actually from Savannah.

Some more names to add to the list

Monica

Da Back Wudz

Boyz n Da Hood

India Arie

from the 90's R&B / hip-hop

Keith Sweat

Toni Braxton

Exscape

Jagged Edge

Kriss Kross

Arrested Development

Yes Memphis started crunk but ATL artists took it worldwide. And Atl's music scene consists of waaay more than just crunk.

I could have sworn that heard that Ciara said she was from Atlanta and that she went to Riverdale high School in Clayton county. She is originally from Austin Tx but moved to Atlanta as a child....with her parents....so i guess for her Atlanta is home.

Also Bow Wow is from Ohio but he now calls Atlanta home. He lives in beautiful home in the Sugarloaf Country Club in Duluth.

All it takes is a little research people. I'm not even a hip hop fan and even I found this information.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Actually in a VIBE magazine article from some months Ciara reported that she moved to Atlanta when she was 14 years old (which is old enough to know where you're from and to know something about where you're from). She is now 19, so she has lived in Atlanta for only 5 years.

Bow Wow is 18 and signed with So So Def at 13. So he also has only lived in Atlanta for 5 years.

It amazes me that when a city is "the place" to be from, people who have lived in the city for a short period of time are all of a sudden "natives" of that city.

It amazes me that when a city is "the place" to be from, people who have lived in the city for a short period of time are all of a sudden "natives" of that city.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who on here alleges that they are natives? Very few Atlantans can even claim that title. When has Ciara, Bow Wow or any other of those people claimed they were native? I don't know but I doubt they make such a claim. Noone is claiming they are natives but you hun. They claim Atlanta as home. They have every right to do that. Ciara's parents were military. She has lived in several locations from 0-14. She was born in TX but who's to say that she had extended family there. If her parents moved her here at whatever age then home is where her parents are.

Besides, many people live in other places that are not native to them. There are probably forumers on UP who live in Charlotte but are originally from let's sayyyyyyyy White Plains. NY. If this person goes to LA and someone asks, "where are you from?" What do you think their answer is going to be? You normally list were you are living. When people ask me I say Atlanta.....unless they say originally.

In the grand scheme of things, artist are no different...... ^_^

Who on here alleges that they are natives? Very few Atlantans can even claim that title. When has Ciara, Bow Wow or any other of those people claimed they were native? I don't know but I doubt they make such a claim. Noone is claiming they are natives but you hun. They claim Atlanta as home. They have every right to do that. Ciara's parents were military. She has lived in several locations from 0-14. She was born in TX but who's to say that she had extended family there. If her parents moved her here at whatever age then home is where her parents are.

Besides, many people live in other places that are not native to them. There are probably forumers on UP who live in Charlotte but are originally from let's sayyyyyyyy White Plains. NY. If this person goes to LA and someone asks, "where are you from?" What do you think their answer is going to be? You normally list were you are living. When people ask me I say Atlanta.....unless they say originally.

In the grand scheme of things, artist are no different...... ^_^

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Whenever someone asks a person where they are from, it's usually the place where you were raised and/or are familiar with. I have heard interviews with Bow Wow and Ciara and they said they are FROM Atlanta. They did not reference it as their home. I really don't care where they are from, but I still say a person should never forget where they came from (especially if you've lived in one place much longer than the other). I, on the other hand wouldn't say that I'm from a place simply because it's where I live. I would be specific and say I'm from Sumter, SC., but live in _____________. There is a difference.

Also, to place us back on topic, I would not say that Atlanta is THE capital of hip hop (although it's prob. the capital of southern rap). I would say that it is the new Motown of the south (As Jermaine Dupri labels it).

ATLMAN, don't you realize how many more hip hop acts are in other cities?  Does a list of 21 acts truly support the arguement that Atlanta is the 'king of hip hop'?  I'm not doubting Atlanta is a major hip hop city, but the arguement of primacy appears severely immature.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How is that immature? All I did was list some of the artist from ATL or who claim ATL. Many rappers claim ATL because it is so well known for rap. There is no other city out there (was NYC but not anymore) that comes close to the amount of artist that ATL has. What other city do you think would be considered the "king of hip-hop"? Surely not LA, that crap died with Tupac. Not NYC, who the hell is from there that is half-way good? ATL is the king of hip-hop for now and maybe from here on out. I am sure there are plenty of more rappers than the 21 I named. I wasn't saying ATL was the only city that has hip-hop acts. Miami, Houston, and St. Louis have some but not to the extent that ATL does. The rappers that are "hot" right now come from ATL or claim ATL. For example, Usher is from Chattanooga, Tenn, but who in the hell wants to claim that place when they can claim ATL? Get the idea?

I wasn't saying ATL was the only city that has hip-hop acts. Miami, Houston, and St. Louis have some but not to the extent that ATL does
Miami doesn't. St. Louis doesn't. Houston DOES. If you're talking strictly about hip hop then yes Houston has alot more than Atlanta. Why is Ciara, Usher, TLC etc. being brought in this anyway. They are R&B. If you're talking about the entire music industry then yes your comment is true.

Yes Memphis started crunk but ATL artists took it worldwide. And Atl's music scene consists of waaay more than just crunk.

Yes if you listen to the mainstream only meaning only listen to the radio or watch tv then you will say Atlanta is the capital of crunk. But if you listen to the entire crunk scene. Memphis is still the best city for it. Hell Memphis was making crunk music since the early 90s while Atlanta was making music similar to what Miami was doing. Also the majority of what Atlanta does is crunk. Besides the dungeon family, Tight Man, and maybe TI. Everybody else is crunk.

BTW the following artists you listed are not from Atlanta

Keith Sweat= From Harlem

Toni Braxton= Maryland

The two brothers from Jagged Edge are from Connecticut

Arrested Development= Believe they are from Tennessee

What other city do you think would be considered the "king of hip-hop"? Surely not LA, that crap died with Tupac. Not NYC, who the hell is from there that is half-way good? ATL is the king of hip-hop for now and maybe from here on out.

Stop man. You don't know what you are talking about. NYC is hip hop. They are still the capital of hip hop.Every deal that rappers need goes through New York. Birthed it and still has the best artists from it. Best underground scene in the world. Atlanta may be hot now. But these things run in cycles. In the 90s, LA was the hottest city but New York was still there. New York will always best hip hop. Also who from NYC is half-way good? You must be joking with that question.

Atlanta rappers: Here are a few that I found from ATL. They are in no particular order of importance. I am sure I left some out. Looks to me that ATL is the King of Hip-Hop.

1. Outkast

2. Lil John and the Eastside Boyz (F.I.L.A. or Forever I Love Atlanta is a cool song)

3. Usher

4. Goodie Mob

5. Scoundrels

6. Jermaine Dupri

7. T.I.

8. Kilo

9. TLC

10. Bone Crusher

11. Youngbloodz

12. Ying Yang Twins

13. Young Jeezy

14. Ludacris

15. Cee-Lo

16. Killa Mike

17. Bow Wow

18. Lil Scrappy

19. Pastor Troy

20. Ciara

21. ATL

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That is impressive for a southern city...I bet nobody can name ONE southern city with that many BIG TIME names from that one area. I know some of them ain't from ATL but for those on that list who aint there are two more that aren't on that list that are :lol:

How is that immature? All I did was list some of the artist from ATL or who claim ATL. Many rappers claim ATL because it is so well known for rap. There is no other city out there (was NYC but not anymore) that comes close to the amount of artist that ATL has. What other city do you think would be considered the "king of hip-hop"? Surely not LA, that crap died with Tupac. Not NYC, who the hell is from there that is half-way good? ATL is the king of hip-hop for now and maybe from here on out. I am sure there are plenty of more rappers than the 21 I named. I wasn't saying ATL was the only city that has hip-hop acts. Miami, Houston, and St. Louis have some but not to the extent that ATL does. The rappers that are "hot" right now come from ATL or claim ATL. For example, Usher is from Chattanooga, Tenn, but who in the hell wants to claim that place when they can claim ATL? Get the idea?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No - not immature in the sense of adult maturity, but immature in Atlanta being the 'capital' too soon. No intent in belittling you, just disagreeing with your stance...

Also who from NYC is half-way good? You must be joking with that question.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Who is then? P-Diddy? Give me a freaking break? Jay-Z? Haha! I can't think of anyone? I am talking about big name acts, not underground music crap.

Miami doesn't. St. Louis doesn't. Houston DOES. If you're talking strictly about hip hop then yes Houston has alot more than Atlanta. Why is Ciara, Usher, TLC etc. being brought in this anyway. They are R&B. If you're talking about the entire music industry then yes your comment is true.

Yes if you listen to the mainstream only meaning only listen to the radio or watch tv then you will say Atlanta is the capital of crunk. But if you listen to the entire crunk scene. Memphis is still the best city for it. Hell Memphis was making crunk music since the early 90s while Atlanta was making music similar to what Miami was doing. Also the majority of what Atlanta does is crunk. Besides the dungeon family, Tight Man, and maybe TI. Everybody else is crunk.

BTW the following artists you listed are not from Atlanta

Keith Sweat= From Harlem

Toni Braxton= Maryland

The two brothers from Jagged Edge are from Connecticut

Arrested Development= Believe they are from Tennessee

Stop man. You don't know what you are talking about. NYC is hip hop. They are still the capital of hip hop.Every deal that rappers need goes through New York. Birthed it and still has the best artists from it. Best underground scene in the world. Atlanta may be hot now. But these things run in cycles. In the 90s, LA was the hottest city but New York was still there. New York will always best hip hop. Also who from NYC is half-way good? You must be joking with that question.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I apologize, maybe I should divide the list up into artists who call Atlanta home and the REAL Atlantans, people who have never set foot outside the state. :thumbsup:

And I've never heard of very many artists from Houston though Im certainly no expert. Please fill me in on them.

Who is then? P-Diddy? Give me a freaking break? Jay-Z? Haha! I can't think of anyone? I am talking about big name acts, not underground music crap.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

um why are you laughing at Jay Z? who is in nearly everybody's top 5 of greatest rappers of all time. Same with Nas?

Lloyd Banks

Jean Grae

Immortal Technique

Fabolous

Hell Rell

Jae Millz

I could name alot more that could fill this page. But the thing is that New York artists hates on each other so much that nobody really can blow up anymore. Where as in Atlanta nobody really does that much and they can blow. New York is still the home of the best lyricists but they are not appealing to anybody right now. But every move of hip hop is still moved thru NY.

Bottom line if you leave Georgia and tell somebody that Atlanta is the capital of hip hop you will be laughed at and coming from the city that birthed Ying Yang Twins, Bonecrusher,and Lil Scrappy. I wouldn't talk about being the capital of anything.

And I've never heard of very many artists from Houston though Im certainly no expert.  Please fill me in on them.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No Problem.

Houston artists:

Scarface

Devin the Dude

Lil Flip

Chamillionaire

Hawk

Krino(probably the most lyrical person in the entire south)

Kotix

Point Blank

Fakkulty

Yung Ro

Klondike Kat

PSK-13

Texas Tech9

Z-Ro

Trae

Gangsta NIP

There's alot more. All of these people have been signed but never really got over the hump. But in the underground they are known especially in this part in the south over into California. They do concerts overseas and have a huge following.

No Problem.

Houston artists:

Scarface

Devin the Dude

Lil Flip

Chamillionaire

Hawk

Krino(probably the most lyrical person in the entire south)

Kotix

Point Blank

Fakkulty

Yung Ro

Klondike Kat

PSK-13

Texas Tech9

Z-Ro

Trae

Gangsta NIP

There's alot more. All of these people have been signed but never really got over the hump. But in the underground they are known especially in this part in the south over into California. They do concerts overseas and have a huge following.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh ok the underground thing. So basically what you're saying is, Houston has more artists that don't sell millions of records and noone's ever heard of?

Oh ok the underground thing.  So basically what you're saying is, Houston has more artists that don't sell millions of records and noone's ever heard of?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Ha! I'm 33, listen to R&B/HipHop occassionally and never heard of any of those punks, lol. On the flip side, most of Atlanta's R&B gangsters, I'm sure I've never heard of either.

Point being - dumb topic...besides homies and 15 year olds - who cares!

Archived