Atlanta, capital of hip hop

GA native_CFT

No - not immature in the sense of adult maturity, but immature in Atlanta being the 'capital' too soon.  No intent in belittling you, just disagreeing with your stance...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think you mean premature :thumbsup:

you do. enough for you to even reply in the thread. you listen to it occassionaly? nuff said. and you never heard of Scarface???yeah ok

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Scarface was a great movie! :silly:

Lighten up folks. Seriously.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is no other city out there (was NYC but not anymore) that comes close to the amount of artist that ATL has

:blink::blink::blink::blink:

nas

jay-z

the wu tang clan

rza

gza

ghostface

raekwon

inspectah deck

killah priest

odb (rip)

method man

murs

aesop rock

mf doom

el-p

cannibal ox

50 cent

a tribe called quest

beastie boys

blackstar

fat joe

mobb deep

the roots

talib kweli

mos def

non phixion

cage

p diddy

ll cool j

jadakiss

along with countless, countless others i can't think of off the top of my head right now

and these are only artists who are still around today...

:blink:  :blink:  :blink:  :blink:

nas

jay-z

the wu tang clan

rza

gza

ghostface

raekwon

inspectah deck

killah priest

odb (rip)

method man

murs

aesop rock

mf doom

el-p

cannibal ox

50 cent

a tribe called quest

beastie boys

blackstar

fat joe

mobb deep

the roots

talib kweli

mos def

non phixion

cage

p diddy

ll cool j

jadakiss

along with countless, countless others i can't think of off the top of my head right now

and these are only artists who are still around today...

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm not taking sides here, but I must say "The Roots" are from Philadelphia.

• 1 month later...

lets not forget the old school artist and dj's who helped create and pave the way for hip hop today such as

run dmc

public enemy

slick rick

doug e. fresh

furious five

rakim

eric b.

big herc

and countless countless others. also there is...

Camron

dmx

mase

lloyd banks

tony yayo

foxy brown

lil kim

olivia

memphis bleek

juelz santana

jim jones

busta rhymes

mr cheeks

q tip

fabolous

drag-on

the fugees

young gunz

capone n' noreaga(and all the reggaton artists)

some Gr8 djs 2day(cuz lets not forget, the dj came b4 the emcee or rapper.[/u]

swizz beats

kid capri

dj clue

funkmaster flex

just blaze

kay slay

fallen soldiers

big pun

big L

freeky tah

and one of the gr8st, notourious big

Sistas who contribute to hip hop

alicia keys

the greatest, mary j. blige

and give or take a few more including ashanti (even though she has a myriad of hits) and jlo.

oh yea, and whoever stated that tupac was from atlanta is absolutely 100% wrong. ;)

He was born lesane crooks on June 16, 1971 in Brooklyn, NY. him and his mom later moved to baltimore when he was 'bout 13, where he attended the baltimore school of the arts with his good friend who he met there, Jada Pinkett. he then moved to oakland cali a few yrs l8r.

I wouldn't talk about being the capital of anything.

Actually Atlanta is the capital of a lot of things. It is the business, transportation, and economic capital of the southeast. It is considered the cultural capital of the south. Miami is large and important, but doesn't fit in well with the classic definition of the south. Miami is too different. Atlanta IS considered the "black mecca." It was the epicenter of the civil rights movement thanks to MLK Jr. Atlanta is becoming an important center for recorded music, whether or not it is the capital of rap. It is probably the new capital of black music in general because black people have an affection for the city and the power they wielded there. I hope Atlanta matures into a truly world class entertainment producer in all regards, from movies to music to theater. ^_^

I just wanted to say... what in the world does des moines, iowa have to do with rap? The city is 8% black and it's in the midwest which is like 2% black. I think majority black populations do have something to do with it. I know people don't want to make this about race, but black people tend to listen to it more than other people; or they are the symbol for rap music. Think about it... Vanilla Ice just gets made fun of (which I don't blame people). I don't think that there will be a "capital" but, if there was one, it would be in the south because the south has over 50% of all the black people in America. High crime rates are "cool" now days and show that a city is hard core (which I think is crazy). Potential cities....

Atlanta

Memphis

Houston (only 25% black though)

Charlotte (it isn't really known for a specific type of music/and it is real diverse (ethinically)?)

Baltimore (same as Charlotte minus the diverse part)

DC

Little Rock

Birmingham

Honorable Mention:

Kansas City

Jacksonville

Orlando (already has theme parks)

St. Louis

New Orleans (already has jazz and that will NEVER change (hopefully))

Miami (known for partying)

Also cities that are majority white and turning into majority black population are on the rise as well. (Charlotte, Jacksonville, Kansas City)

*Someone already said it, but NYC is too diverse to have 1 main type of music.....*

^^^^ That statement is 100% true! hip hop is just one type of music, and there are so many EXCELLENT musical sounds that have come out of New York or that New York has strongly contributed to.Other than it being the birth place of hip hop, new york has contributed to jazz (see harlem renaissance), Rock and Roll (doo wop), Standards (Frank Sinatra is the coolest guy to ever walk the earth) raggae (reggaton) and whatever else you could think of (maybe not so much country).

Atlanta is where Alot of things are happening for hip hop these days, but that doesnt make it the automatic capital now. just think, five years ago, atlanta wasnt necessarilly at the rap forefront as it is 2day. it was still New Orleans running the south as it had been doing since about '94-'95. California was running the rap scene drastically for a while And No 1 Can Ever Deny That!!!! that didnt really make new orleans or cali the capital.

This is an urban forum, so let me give an urban example.

Washington DC is and will most likely always will be the capital of the United States. Although some may argue that New York is a much bigger, more popular, more loved and more important city than DC (mainly in the finance field) new york wont be the capital of america any time soon. theres just too much history in the DC area regarding the birth of this country.

same with hip hop. though atlanta may be making alot of noise these days, it will never be the capital of rap. That title will always belong to New York cuz The Vast, Vast majority of hip hop history, including its birth, comes from New York. And not just rap either. you got Dj'ing, break dancing and graffiti that may not have all necessarily been "invented" in new york, but they were brought to the mainstreem by the city. it doesnt matter what the percentage of black people is that live there, cause lets face it. DC is mainly black and normally when you think of politics, you dont think of the dude selling bootleg movies on georgia ave.

• 2 months later...

I was just reading through some of these posts and I found them to be VERY interesting! Some of you may know there are "divisions" of rap/hip-hop like East Coast and West Coast. Most of us know that this designtion erupted into 2 deaths of very aspiring rappers, Tupac and Notorious B.I.G. There is a subdivision of East Coast called Dirty South. I don't beleive ATL is the HQ of rap but the HQ of dirty south. Actually I take that back, each city is known for representing a few musical artists in its days and Atlanta (along with others) are going through a phase in the 21st Century where our society has become accustomed and prone to thugs, hookers, and drug dealers. These rappers are just looking for a way to express that through music. And to tell you the truth, i've seen that and more in Atlanta. If you happen to have .99 handy or feel like taking a risk and downloading Limewire, I recommend anybody here download a copy of Ludacris' or Field Mob's new song "Georgia" or Jermaine Dupri's song "Welcome to Atlanta" to get a deeper, more wider picture at this.

Oh I hate that Ludacris video, Georgia!! I'm glad that he represents our state and our city, but in the video he makes Georgia look like one big ghetto. I guess that's the Georgia he sees though.

I agree; Atlanta is the Motown of the 21st century.

:thumbsup:

AAHHH! Don't say that! We don't want Atlanta to end up like Detroit! JK

Thsi really gives Georgia a bad name ( Ludacris and Field Mob "Georgia" song), "You may come for vacation then leave on probation", We on the grind in...Georgia All the time, It ain't

Nothin on my mind but...Georgia, We ain't playin witcha

I feel sorry for you guys! :silly:

Ciara's site says that she was born in Austin TX. And that she has lived in germany and all kind of places due to her being a military brat. You can be born wherever but the environment in which you grow up in influences your music. Atlanta has a certain flavor that has influenced many talented people which explains our gargantuous music scene. Bow Wow was born in Columbus OH, but his label (owned by Jermaine Dupri) is located here. I happened to see his home on MTV's Cribs and he said when he moved here some time ago, it was strictly 4 business, but he faithfully reps Atlanta and Ohio whenever he can. I read this one magazine and there was this article that referred to Atlanta as the "Attention Whore of The Year". They commented and said that it was due to the incomparable population of hip hop artists in the area. I personally think this is true. I've come face-to-face with numerous entertainers on the street.

^^ Glad you asked.

I've seen Big Boi from outkast in Southwest Atlanta at a CHinese restaraunt near Greenbriar Mall. I've seen T.I. so many times it's not funny. I've seen Ciara (before fame) at Sparkles Skating Rink. Bonecrusher at the West End mall. JD at his restaurant and Monica at a car wash.

^^ Glad you asked.

I've seen Big Boi from outkast in Southwest Atlanta at a CHinese restaraunt near Greenbriar Mall. I've seen T.I. so many times it's not funny. I've seen Ciara (before fame) at Sparkles Skating Rink. Bonecrusher at the West End mall. JD at his restaurant and Monica at a car wash.

What about P. Diddy's restaurant in Buckhead? I've only been there for lunch but I would have guessed his reputation might bring in a few hip hop celebs.

Diddy has a restaurant in Atlanta? What's the name? I know Jermaine Dupri and Patti Labelle have restaurants in Atlanta; surprisingly the only presence of P. Diddy that I know of is that he has a home in Dunwoody,
Yeah, his place is called Justin's. It's on Peachtree in Buckhead, I think at the corner of Biscayne or Peachtree Memorial.

Thanks, more knowledge. Do you know of any other celebrity owned bars restaurants, or clubs?
Student, I'm sure there are but I don't really keep up with the club scene anymore. (Too old and decrepit). You know, back in the day Peter Gaitien had the infamous Limelight here -- now that was a great place for celebrity watching.

:lol:

The name Justin's and Sean Puffy Diddy Combs (God that's alot of names he's gone through) doesn't really mix. Did he open this himself or is he a co-owner?
I believe he opened it himself (and named it after his son, as Student says). There was some fanfare at the time, as I think he bought a couple of houses here around that time, too. He's got another Justin's in NYC.

Archived