• Buckhead
    • Sandy Springs
    • Grant Park
    • College Park
    • Chamblee

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really dislike being the picky one but hun Chamblee and College Park are not districts of Atlanta in the true sense of the word district. They are wholly independent cities. Also Sandy Springs is now no longer a district as it has voted for it's independence as well.

Now I would have added Brookhaven instead of Chamblee....Cascade Heights instead of College Park.

Now voting from your list I would vote Buckhead.

More specifically the Mount Paran district of Buckhead. It is a slap in the face to urban density so many probably will not like this area. I guess I'm not as urban as I should be but hey, I'm working on it. B)

Buckhead! Love the nightlife, restaurants, and buildings! I don't like downtown as mush as I did, there's no new skyscrapers, hardly any new restaurants, and no new revitalization efforts. Most of downtown's success is on the west side with Centennial and GA aquarium. Every time I go down there it's always boring! We really need some restaurants and new retail down there!

Sorry you guys. I didn't realize that some of the districts I put  were not in the city, but they are still in the area and many would consider part of the greater Atlanta area, so try to overlook that.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's why I would have kept it to districts of Atlanta because now you have opened it up to areas all over the "greater" Atlanta area. Now you will have people asking "why didn't you add Iman Park, Vinings, Dunwoody, Sugarloaf or Johns Creek." The can of worms will burst forward....... :D

Oh, by the way Lady celeste, I was reading one of your posts and I got the impression you were a real estate agent. Could you tell me how the urban core is doing as far as real estate there?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am. I had a closing on Wednesday :D . It took me four months to get this person to finally close the deal. At 24 weeks pregnant, my patience was beginning to run thin.....but patience is a virtue...and rewarding.

Anyway, you ask about the urban core. I hope I don't over step any bounds as I'm not recommending any properties or presenting my services to you. I just had to get that out the way.

I do not concentrate on the urban core but I can say from word of mouth and studying trending that the housing market in the core is extremely strong. The closer to midtown, the faster the sellout rate. In fact, in multifamily development, Midtown is outpacing Buckhead.

There has been relatively small flipping. Prices have remained steady to 5% increase for resale. This is probably due to so many projects coming on the market at the same time. Demand is very strong but supply is high. New construction prices are increase about 10% a year. So that $250,000 condo you like this year will probably be $275,000 next year. The price range that seems to do the best is $250,000 to $400,000. Units between the mid $100s to mid $200s usually are sold before the sales office is opened.

This could explain why midtown is outpacing Buckhead...even though Buckhead's highrise market is brisk. There are about 40 highrise properties for sale in Buckhead from $1 million plus. Seven are $3 million plus.

For loft lovers, there are many areas south and east of downtown that have midrise lofts. These areas are doing very well also.

Like I have said on another tread, I have an associate who has sold several properties sight unseen. He sits in front of a computer and talk on the phone and sell condos to out of state buyers. I think teshadoh remarked on this on another thread that many of these buyers are either single or couples. It's not going to do a huge amount for the increase of the city's population but they are bringing life to the inner core.

Look for downtown, especially around Centennial Olympic Park to start making its debut in the condo market. I fear though because of all the tourist development going on in the area, you will see more flipping or investment buying. Let's hope it stays to a minimum because we need more pedestrian traffic in the area other than new tourist and conventioneers.

I will say this though....any purchase that you make in the urban core should do well. If you are in the marlet, happy house hunting. :thumbsup:

Well, I live in Grant Park - but my vote would go for Inman Park or Candler Park, we just couldn't afford to live there.

Otherwise my least favorite 'district' of Atlanta is Buckhead - except for the area I consider 'North Midtown' or 'South Buckhead' that includes Garden Hills.

Outside the city - my favorite suburb would be Decatur, least favorite is Alpharetta.

Hi Lady Celeste ,

I had a few questions , if you don't mind answering .

1. Who is easier to work with - buyers , or sellers ?

2 . In your opinion , could you personally still make decent money if you chose to work with buyers only ?

3. Do you try to concentrate on a small service area , or a larger one?

4. How does the traffic congestion affect your work , and do you take any specific steps to avoid traffic ? ( For example , showing homes during non peak traffic times , etc . )

5 . Since you deal with alot of people , what personality differences do you see between Northerners and Southerners ? ( I know that people are different everywhere , but I do think that " generally " there are some basic differences . )

much appreciated , sorry to have bombarded you.

My apologies for the hijack to the OP .

Tides

Hi Lady Celeste ,

I had a few questions , if you don't mind answering .

I don't mind at all. I will try to answer them as clearly as I can. :)

1. Who is easier to work with - buyers , or sellers ?

They both can be equally difficult. I would give the nod to buyers though. Especially couples buying. Sometimes I wonder did they sit down and discuss what they wanted in a home. Their wish list can be very different. As an agent, it is your job to find the best of both in one property. Wives tend to be less likely to budge.

My only issue I have with some sellers is that they are not sometimes realistic with the value of their home. Sentimental value does not translate into increase "real" value.

2 . In your opinion , could you personally still make decent money if you chose to work with buyers only ?

I think you would find it very hard to focus on just buyers. Many times your past buyers become your current sellers. This is what you would want unless you are going to pass them off to someone else. If you do that, you could run the risk of losing your "word of mouth" advertising which would definitely cut into your profit. Especially in the higher ranges.

Now there are times when you can work with just buyers. This tends to occur when you work directly with a builder. If you are responsible for selling the inventory in a specific neighborhood then you would never have to deal with sellers. It depends on the price range of the neighborhoods you work though. If you excel at selling $1 million golf community homes for a specific builder then I suppose you can make more than decent money. Your commission and market will be smaller than the traditional agent however.

3. Do you try to concentrate on a small service area , or a larger one?

I concentrate on a small service area. I found this helpful because I can answer specific neighborhood questions like schools, shopping, cultural amenities, hospitals, recent home sales, traffic patterns, people who live in the community and so forth. It's helpful to know as much as you can about a community because you will not always be in front of your computer. When you sound like you know what you are talking about, you build confidence.

I am however scouting an additional location in Florida. Orlando and Jacksonville metros and Palm Beach/Broward counties are currently on the short list. That's why this site has been so helpful for me because I can get a more personal feel of the area by reading the Florida section of UP than I can get from reading newspapers.

4. How does the traffic congestion affect your work , and do you take any specific steps to avoid traffic ? ( For example , showing homes during non peak traffic times , etc . )

Traffic congestion affects it a great deal. Lucky enough for me I am not on the streets as much as some agents. For now anyway. I do take specific steps to avoid traffic as much as I can. Since I concentrate on a small service area as well as small price range, I'm not out and about all the time. Also, my travel time is less because of this concentrated service area. You do however learn to show homes during off peak hours or your bring your laptop and pay for alot of lunches.

I have one added advantage. Because I have lived in Atlanta for so long, I know alot of alternate routes. That's the one thing that amazes me about newcomers to Atlanta. They always stick to the interstates and rarely learn alternate routes.

5 . Since you deal with alot of people , what personality differences do you see between Northerners and Southerners  ? ( I know that people are different everywhere , but I do think that " generally " there are some basic differences . )

Please, I hope noone takes this as me generalizing any specific group of people as there are always exceptions to the rule.

I find northerners to be very direct. They can at times be a tad bit more demanding. I don't find this bad because a home purchase is a very large purchase for buyers and I would much rather you know what you want so I can provide you with your dreams than for you to have me running on a rat race.

Southerners tend to be more easy going. They tend to trust your judgement more quickly.

Once you get beyond a certain price range though, both northerners and southerners become very demanding. There is really no distinction other than the style of house and amenities they want.

much appreciated , sorry to have bombarded you.

My apologies for the hijack to the OP .

Tides

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

It's okay. I appreciate your questions.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived