SEC West Football Predictions

NCB

Who will win the SEC west in football this year?  

11 members have voted

1. 1. Who will win the SEC west in football this year?

• Alabama
    • Arkansas
    • Auburn
    • LSU
    • Ole Miss
    • Mississippi State

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Of course I wish it would be Arkansas, but I don't think we will have an easy time replacing Matt Jones. It's really a shame that there weren't hardly any upper classmen left during his senior year last season. I'm curious to see how LSU will respond with their new coach. I guess I'd be leaning towards LSU or Auburn. But then again the more I think about it didn't Auburn lose a lot of players to the draft? So maybe I'd have to lean more to LSU. Although I'd still like to see how things go a little with the new coach.

While you have to admit LSU certainly has the advantage in the poll being in a Lousiana forum. I'm really not sure how strong of an arguement anyone could make for one of the other teams. I think the only problem that LSU has is losing Saban and having a new coach. I could be wrong but I'm not expecting a lot out of the Mississippi schools. Alabama has had some talent but they just seem to have had a hard time doing much with it. Not long after Arkansas joined the SEC Alabama has seemed to have had a number of problems and disappointing seasons. Auburn has been pretty good recently but they seem to have lost quite a few players to the NFL. I'm not sure what's left there. Arkansas has had some good overachieving teams, but they seem to have a hard time recruiting with the SEC elite. Arkansas was a pretty young team last year. But after losing Matt Jones I have a hard time seeing them being very great this year.

Which seems to give LSU the best shot of having a good season. But you never know, it does seem that there usually is a 'sleeper' team in the SEC West.

Good point Mith, most of the Media are picking LSU to win, and Auburn to be 2nd.

I think(and hope) they respond well the Les Miles and that they perform well.

The main problem for Miles will be handling the pressure. If LSU goes 9-3 it will be considered to be a disappointment by the LSU faithful(which includes myself). It is a big step up going from oklahoma state, which is the secondary school in Oklahoma in terms to football, to LSU which is the flagship school of Louisiana in every category.

I cant wait to the Tennessee LSU game....in tiger stadium. That is another strong point to LSU this year..the schedule. LSU has Tennessee. Auburn, Florida, and Arkansas at home this year.

I hope Arkansas does well this year, I have always liked the Razorbacks.

You better believe that in week 3 i will be rooting for Arkansas...when they play USC.

I think USC is heavily overrated and get to much attention from the media, so I hope Arkansas pulls a "major" upset.

Good point Mith, most of the Media are picking LSU to win, and Auburn to be 2nd.

I think(and hope) they respond well the Les Miles and that they perform well.

The main problem for Miles will be handling the pressure. If LSU goes 9-3 it will be considered to be a disappointment by the LSU faithful(which includes myself). It is a big step up going from oklahoma state, which is the secondary school in Oklahoma in terms to football, to LSU which is the flagship school of Louisiana in every category.

I cant wait to the Tennessee LSU game....in tiger stadium. That is another strong point to LSU this year..the schedule. LSU has Tennessee. Auburn, Florida, and Arkansas at home this year.

I hope Arkansas does well this year, I have always liked the Razorbacks.

You better believe that in week 3 i will be rooting for Arkansas...when they play USC.

I think USC is heavily overrated and get to much attention from the media, so I hope Arkansas pulls a "major" upset.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yeah I can't say I like USC either, but I'm certainly not going to hold my breath on that game. I admit you never know what might happen, especially when you have two teams that aren't familiar with each other. But I would have given us a much better shot when we had Matt Jones as QB. As far as LSU goes I like and respect them. They're almost the only team in the SEC West (outside Arkansas of course) that I care for. It was a while back ago when Arkansas joined the SEC but when we did it just seemed Alabama fans were a bit arrogant and so on. And while things have changed I guess that first impression still sticks with me. That and I do believe Alabama was the first SEC team to blow us out also. I've just never cared much for the Mississippi schools. No offense to the other SEC people, it's just the way I feel. That leaves Auburn, which I don't have anything against. But I'd much rather see LSU do well than Auburn. I wish Arkansas could develop a good rivalry game against another SEC team, like what we used to have against Texas and Texas A&M. But I guess that's one negative aspect on joining the SEC so well after the conference has been so established.

By the way I wasn't the one who picked Arkansas in the poll. As much as I like the Razorbacks I did try to be honest with my result.

I didn't vote, but I do think that LSU is the team to beat in the West. There was talk about the LSU schedule being a plus this year and it could well be, but remember that a team does not gain extra points for replaying a team. Chances are that LSU, if they win the West would play either Florida or Tennessee in the SEC Championship Game. In either case, it would not count for schedule strength.

Mith also gave his breakdown from the Arkansas View of other SEC teams. Growing up in Memphis, I always followed Arkansas as well as the SEC teams. Arkansas, being a member of the SWC, always has an Us against Them view because they were the only non-Texas team and located away from all the other schools. The University of Texas came to represent that Us against Them; and the fact that on so many years that to two schools played for the championship galvinized their rivalry.

Arkansas faced a number of changes when they moved to the SEC. They were still in a corner away from the other schools and only had semi-rivalries with Ole Miss and Tennessee that I know of. They couldn't buy up all the tickets to the basketball tournament and they didn't know how they would mesh. The semi-rivalry with Tennessee lead them to be chosen as one of the regular yearly inter-division games along with South Carolina as the other team. South Carolina was also new and didn't really have any rivalries with any West teams, so it made sense. Of course over time the SEC changed it from two yearly inter-division to one and the Tennessee game fell into the rotation.

I think that they have developed a good rivalry with LSU. Partly because of when the game is played and importance that is associated with bowls from an end of season game. The fact that even though LSU is East of the Mississippi that it is along the river and most of the state is West of the river and that they made it a trophy game may have helped too.

Mith mentioned the arrogance that with Alabama plays with; and I think that that has played into some of the strong showings that Arkansas has had against Alabama, because it plays into the same types of feeling that Arkansas had with Texas.

Ole Miss and Arkansas view themselves in the same ways. Both see themselves as being at a disadvantage in how they are seen from the outside and in being able to get recruits to come to their schools. Both have strong Football legacies and Hall of Fame coaches that they can look back to. They are the closest to one another in distance and both of their states rank near the bottom in a number of ranking for things like education, poverty levels, etc. They had a rivalry before and I'm certain that it has grown even stronger. I think that both schools are far better than most people know. Arkansas has a far larger proportion of it's graduates as the CEOs to fortune 500 Businesses than most other public schools and the same could be said for Rhode Scholars and Ole Miss.

In track, of course Arkansas has been the same powerhouse that it had been coming in and in basketball, though Arkansas is now having to regroup, being the only other SEC team ever to win the NCAA aside from Kentucky gives them a strong place.

I didn't vote, but I do think that LSU is the team to beat in the West. There was talk about the LSU schedule being a plus this year and it could well be, but remember that a team does not gain extra points for replaying a team. Chances are that LSU, if they win the West would play either Florida or Tennessee in the SEC Championship Game. In either case, it would not count for schedule strength.

Mith also gave his breakdown from the Arkansas View of other SEC teams. Growing up in Memphis, I always followed Arkansas as well as the SEC teams. Arkansas, being a member of the SWC, always has an Us against Them view because they were the only non-Texas team and located away from all the other schools. The University of Texas came to represent that Us against Them; and the fact that on so many years that to two schools played for the championship galvinized their rivalry.

Arkansas faced a number of changes when they moved to the SEC. They were still in a corner away from the other schools and only had semi-rivalries with Ole Miss and Tennessee that I know of. They couldn't buy up all the tickets to the basketball tournament and they didn't know how they would mesh. The semi-rivalry with Tennessee lead them to be chosen as one of the regular yearly inter-division games along with South Carolina as the other team. South Carolina was also new and didn't really have any rivalries with any West teams, so it made sense. Of course over time the SEC changed it from two yearly inter-division to one and the Tennessee game fell into the rotation.

I think that they have developed a good rivalry with LSU. Partly because of when the game is played and importance that is associated with bowls from an end of season game. The fact that even though LSU is East of the Mississippi that it is along the river and most of the state is West of the river and that they made it a trophy game may have helped too.

Mith mentioned the arrogance that with Alabama plays with; and I think that that has played into some of the strong showings that Arkansas has had against Alabama, because it plays into the same types of feeling that Arkansas had with Texas.

Ole Miss and Arkansas view themselves in the same ways. Both see themselves as being at a disadvantage in how they are seen from the outside and in being able to get recruits to come to their schools. Both have strong Football legacies and Hall of Fame coaches that they can look back to. They are the closest to one another in distance and both of their states rank near the bottom in a number of ranking for things like education, poverty levels, etc. They had a rivalry before and I'm certain that it has grown even stronger. I think that both schools are far better than most people know. Arkansas has a far larger proportion of it's graduates as the CEOs to fortune 500 Businesses than most other public schools and the same could be said for Rhode Scholars and Ole Miss.

In track, of course Arkansas has been the same powerhouse that it had been coming in and in basketball, though Arkansas is now having to regroup, being the only other SEC team ever to win the NCAA aside from Kentucky gives them a strong place.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Very well spoken. For a second I forgot I was on a Lousiana forum. Perhaps I should put add something like this to the Arkansas forum.

Please do Mith, I would love to see what the responses would be to this question on the Arkansas forum.

Edit: I noticed you have already posted "SEC West" in the Arkansas forum.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Yep, whether I can get any Arkansas responses is the question now. It's been a bit quiet over there recently.

• 2 weeks later...

Just out of curiosity what is LSU's schedule like this year?  Which SEC schools are they playing this year?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Home games are shown in bold.

Sept 03 North Texas

Sept 10 Arizona State

Sept 24 Tennessee

Oct 01 Mississippi State

Oct 08 Vanderbilt

Oct 15 Florida

Oct 22 Auburn

Nov 05 Appalachian State

Nov 12 Alabama

Nov 19 Ole Miss

Nov 25 Arkansas

^The key this year for LSU, is the home games.

Its definitely a good thing when you can play Tennessee, Florida, Auburn, and Arkansas at home.

So I guess you LSU fans feel real good about Myles ?

I thought that there was a general feeling at the time that LSU had gotten (in Myles) the best it could get by with, given the sudden departure of Saban.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I feel very good about him.

LSU has AMAZING talent this year, this is the recruiting class that Saban had expected to win the National Championship with, the talent this year is better then what they had in '03, when they won the National Championship.

The main question with Miles is how he will handle the pressure of the LSU faithful.

Its a big step going from OK State, which is secondary to OU(at least in football) to LSU, which is #1 in Louisiana in every category. Anything short of winning the SEC Title this year may seem as a dissapointment to LSU fans...

But he likes it in Baton Rouge, and the players really like him, so I think he will do well this year, and throught the rest of his years at LSU.

• 3 months later...

Nice to see LSU doing so well in the Peach Bowl. Especially since they are using another QB. Although it's only halftime as I write this and you can't take things for granted. After it looked like South Carolina was about to march down to take a 28-0 lead I can't believe they end up losing that game.

^What a great game!

40-3! :w00t:

Matt Flynn really proeved himself tonight. He was really battling JaMarkus Russell in spring training, and he is still a great QB.

This will be great next year. We have Russell who has proved himself to be a great QB, Flynn who also looks great, and the redshirt freshman Ryan Perrilloux who was the number one QB in the nation last year. :thumbsup:

Yeah it was great to see LSU do so well. Too bad there was that incident at the end but I'm glad they took it to Miami. With all the trash talking and the times they have run the score up on others it's nice to see an SEC team dish it back to them. :D

Archived