Finlay Park/Three Rivers Greenway /Rails-to-Trails System

Doug L

As promised...

This was built back in the early 1800s when Columbia was trying to become and inland port. Trains rapidly overtook the canals, and the locks were abandonded. Now it is just a stop on the Cayce Riverwalk.

Here's the downstream end

locks1-49vylflkt.jpeg

This is the upstream end

locks2-49vylrk6e.jpeg

Here's a detail of the lock

locks3-49vym22xm.jpeg

Yet another detail

locks4-49vymdvat.jpeg

This is looking upstream down the length of the lock

locks7-49vymq0jl.jpeg

Heres a barge tie down (customized by local taggers)

locks8-49vyn8iis.jpeg

For more info go to:

http://www.riverventure.org/columbia/index.html

Scroll to the right til you see Granby Lock (almost to the far right).

• 4 weeks later...

They have started construction on the esplanade along the canal. They have cleared a swath below the stone wall and are working up top along the wall as well.

Also, construction on the new city park adjacent to the Gervais Street bridge is coming along. They are building wooden bridges over the brook that flows into the river, as well as walkways that will connect to the overlook deck they've already built; and bulldozers have cleared all the underbrush along the river a good ways down, leaving only a beautiful grove of trees like something out of Wordsworth.

Sounds good; can't wait to see the progress next time I roll through.

Have you seen how tiny the parking lot is? Sunday I went to the park entrance next to the water works and it was full. I think the city is being very short sighted. The park itself is going to be a jewel. I will be taking pics this week and posting them on my web site.

Edited by Doug L

Have you seen how tiny the parking lot is? Sunday I went to the park entrance next to the water works and it was full. I think the city is being very short sighted. The park itself is going to be a jewel. I will be taking pics this week and posting them on my web site.

I think the hope is that people will be living along the river and will walk to the park.

• 4 weeks later...

Got a chance to see some of the progress on the new park on Sunday evening. It looks great, and will be even better once connected with the Esplanade and Canal Front. There will finally be some easily accessible spots to enjoy the river on the Columbia side of the Congaree.

• 2 months later...

Has anybody heard much about this development? I don't think it's apart of "The falls" but it's right on the river too

4120 River Drive, TMS# 07315-01-01, -02; annex and rezone from Richland County GC (General Commercial) to City of Columbia RS-3.

Council District: 1

Proposal: Annex and rezone from Richland County GC to City of Columbia RS-3 to permit the development of a 100-150 single-family residential subdivision.

Applicant: Saluda Dam, LLC, Mark Richardson.

Edited by sonofaque86

Has anybody heard much about this development? I don't think it's apart of "The falls" but it's right on the river too

4120 River Drive, TMS# 07315-01-01, -02; annex and rezone from Richland County GC (General Commercial) to City of Columbia RS-3.

Council District: 1

Proposal: Annex and rezone from Richland County GC to City of Columbia RS-3 to permit the development of a 100-150 single-family residential subdivision.

Applicant: Saluda Dam, LLC, Mark Richardson.

If this is it, it sucks. How the hell they can call that "The Falls AT USC" is beyond me.

I think the funding for the centerpiece park needs to be made a high priority. That is a very important final link in the middle of the Columbia side of the greenway.

Times like this, you do wish there was some sort of wealthy philanthropist living in the area that could give the project a substantial financial boost.

Pretty good article in The State today about the investment that has followed the development of the greenway--about $400 million worth to be exact. Nothing much new in the way of any new greenway developments though.

As much as I think a bridge at the confluence of the rivers would be fantastic, I'm kinda happy it has been put on hold for a while instead of jumping onto it before the time is right. I'd love to see some really daring architecture for that bridge. What a center piece that would be in that spectacular setting. Postcard material. One should make a study of how many tourist dollars a Calatrava bridge would bring to Columbia. There's apparently huge numbers of people who travel around to see all his pedestrian bridges. But now that his bridges are not so much a novelty anymore (although great, nevertheless), maybe it'll be time to post a competition and get the creative juices flowing of emerging architectural talent.

Aren't there some grants available for projects like this for areas that are underserved by tourism?

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Glad to see work continuing on the Riverwalk. I was on the West Columbia portion, which is quite nice, but I can't help but think what a huge mistake W. Cola did by allowing gated subdivisions to be built along the walk. What a perfect area to build density and add some life to the riverfront and better connect with the Columbia side. It's just awful :sick: .

Glad to see work continuing on the Riverwalk. I was on the West Columbia portion, which is quite nice, but I can't help but think what a huge mistake W. Cola did by allowing gated subdivisions to be built along the walk. What a perfect area to build density and add some life to the riverfront and better connect with the Columbia side. It's just awful :sick: .

It was pretty short-sighted. Their best hope now for a hot riverfront development is that they can run off Columbia Farms and redevelop Capitol Square shopping center... that whole area is so badly blighted, but it has ridiculous potential. And then there's the pit across from State St. -- what was once going to be "Rivertown." All that will be a decade down the road at this point.

Edited by emerging.me