Finlay Park/Three Rivers Greenway /Rails-to-Trails System

Doug L

I read this earlier. Does anyone know the likelihood of the cent tax passing?

Richland County Residents are greedy and non giving i don't see this Penny sales tax going through. it almost last time but this time i don't see it happening because people cant just give up 1 freaking penny to help others.

I really want to see it go through.

• 1 year later...

Columbia has received a $98,850 Recreational Trails Program grant from the S.C. Department of Parks, Recreation and Tourism for the Taylor Street Trail will allow the city to build a 2-city-block trail that begins at Taylor Street and extends north to Laurel Street.

The Taylor Street Trail, which ties into the Vista Greenway, will take pedestrians and cyclists from the Vista through Finlay Park to historic Arsenal Hill. The funds would be used for construction of the trail surface, lights for the trail and the tunnel at Finlay Park, and renovations to the tunnel so that it is safer and more welcoming for pedestrians and cyclists.

• 2 years later...

The Lincoln tunnel rails to trails project is one that I think hasn't been documented as well as it should be. Phase 2 of the project will be completed by the end of this summer after a few setbacks due to the city going $200,000 over budget. Phase 2 includes an extention of the trail from Finlay park to Elmwood Avenue. Here is a link to my flickr page that has some pictures of the progress. https://www.flickr.com/gp/70814931@N05/56Winu

Edited by lucjanrc

2 hours ago, lucjanrc said:

The Lincoln tunnel rails to trails project is one that I think hasn't been documented as well as it should be. Phase 2 of the project will be completed by the end of this summer after a few setbacks due to the city going $200,000 over budget. Phase 2 includes an extention of the trail from Finlay park to Elmwood Avenue. Here is a link to my flickr page that has some pictures of the progress. https://www.flickr.com/gp/70814931@N05/56Winu

Where does the trail run? Lincoln north Finlay Park is flat, so I assume they are somewhere else?

The trail follows the old railroad track that used to run under the Laurel, Richland and Calhoun Street bridges. Sorry I know "Lincoln" tunnel seems misleading but that's the official name for the project. Also, I didn't mention before but the ribbon cutting is set for July 13th.

DSC_0366.JPG

DSC_0362.JPG

Edited by lucjanrc

23 hours ago, carolinagarnet said:

Ah I see, so it goes from the park, underneath the Blanding-Gadsden intersection, and eventually past the Pavilion Towers to Elmwood. Does the plan include any improvements to the area under the Elmwood bridge? I imagine that it might feel somewhat unsafe in poor lighting.

Well they are installing many lights along the trail but I am concerned about safety too, especially the homeless potentially spilling in from Finlay park. 

Edited by lucjanrc

On June 6, 2016 at 7:38 PM, carolinagarnet said:

Ah I see, so it goes from the park, underneath the Blanding-Gadsden intersection, and eventually past the Pavilion Towers to Elmwood. Does the plan include any improvements to the area under the Elmwood bridge? I imagine that it might feel somewhat unsafe in poor lighting.

City is already doing significant road and lighting repairs to the roadways under the Elmwood Bridge

• 1 month later...

What is the latest with the development of the Columbia side of the river?  

I thought that the River Esplanade or whatever they had in mind had been in planning for awhile.  Has the City dropped this after floods and attention to Bull Street?  

to me, the City has really delayed an opportunity to create a signature attraction that could in turn spur development and be a selling point for the City in attracting investment downtown.  

I think the City could definitely develop this into more of an urban park that would be a bit different from what has been done on the other side.  I know that perhaps the Guingard property itself would not necessarily be subject to development, but I think there is a lot of non-developed land between that and the Vista that could benefit from condos, hotel, offices with park access.  

You'd also be linking up existing trails and giving it a central destination point that would perhaps spur interesting uses and development downstream.

12 minutes ago, ColaFan said:

What is the latest with the development of the Columbia side of the river?  

I thought that the River Esplanade or whatever they had in mind had been in planning for awhile.  Has the City dropped this after floods and attention to Bull Street?  

to me, the City has really delayed an opportunity to create a signature attraction that could in turn spur development and be a selling point for the City in attracting investment downtown.  

I think the City could definitely develop this into more of an urban park that would be a bit different from what has been done on the other side.  I know that perhaps the Guingard property itself would not necessarily be subject to development, but I think there is a lot of non-developed land between that and the Vista that could benefit from condos, hotel, offices with park access.  

You'd also be linking up existing trails and giving it a central destination point that would perhaps spur interesting uses and development downstream.

The riverfront park was already delayed for the SCANA black tar removal and then further delayed because of the flooding. Sadly it will be years before anything is developed. I agree that this project would have the single largest impact on the city. I think unfortunately when Columbia gets around to doing something with the land, they are going to step into a fight between USC and the River Alliance on the design.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...
On 1/4/2017 at 10:41 AM, carolinagarnet said:

Wow, it seems the state is giving SCANA a huge pass on the black tar cleanup just south of the Gervais Street Bridge. Not that there are any immediate plans, but this frees the area for development of a riverfront park.

http://www.thestate.com/news/local/article124398764.html

What did they decide on SCANA.  I thought I saw that there was a fight gearing up over the white wash plan.

I assume that the Columbia side/Riverfront Park phase remains on the back burner?  

I've been a little confused for a long while why Columbia was dragging its feet on creating a centerpiece park.  I actually think if done correctly it could do a lot of the City's attractiveness.  And I think it could help jolt development perhaps.  

I think Columbia's side can be more of a destination, finished park than a natural habitat.  Someplace that could host a fourth of july celebration, a festival, etc, as opposed to a place to necessarily walk in the woods.  More of an urban park.

On 5/18/2017 at 6:45 AM, ColaFan said:

What did they decide on SCANA.  I thought I saw that there was a fight gearing up over the white wash plan.

I assume that the Columbia side/Riverfront Park phase remains on the back burner?  

I've been a little confused for a long while why Columbia was dragging its feet on creating a centerpiece park.  I actually think if done correctly it could do a lot of the City's attractiveness.  And I think it could help jolt development perhaps.  

I think Columbia's side can be more of a destination, finished park than a natural habitat.  Someplace that could host a fourth of july celebration, a festival, etc, as opposed to a place to necessarily walk in the woods.  More of an urban park.

The Columbia Riverwalk is about to be extended past the zoo (construction is imminent/already started), but the riverfront park is at least a few years off. The city could certainly build it, but all funding is being directed to Bull Street at the moment and there really isn't any need to push momentum in that area yet. First they need to extend Greene and Williams Streets to establish a grid for future development, then get buy off on design. Of course this all hinges on SCANA capping the black tar area within the next couple years. Basically don't hold your breath. The park will eventually come, but not for many years.

• krazeeboi changed the title to Finlay Park/Three Rivers Greenway /Rails-to-Trails System
22 hours ago, krazeeboi said:

Some renderings for an overhauled Finlay Park with the proposed additions by the Whitewater Center in Charlotte. Links can be found in the latest city council meeting agenda.

finlaypark.jpg

There was a time when everybody visited Finlay Park (previously named Sydney Park). One of my fondest memories of my early twenties was a free Hootie and the Blowfish concert, to raise supplies for a food pantry. There had to be 30,000 people there..maybe more. People were hanging from trees to get a view of the band. Crazy. Back then, it was safer, or seemed safer. It has been neglected for too long now, and I'm hopeful these renovations will breathe new life into the place. 

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 1 month later...

https://www.postandcourier.com/columbia/news/columbia-to-expand-saluda-river-access-with-land-donation-from-dominion-energy/article_e24faf18-5250-11ee-8009-9bfc8c9da06d.html/?tpcc=colasocial Exciting news about the Saluda and Congaree Rivers. Apparently, in addition to an extension of the existing trail, work should commence soon on Williams St, which, when completed, will allow development of a first-class city riverfront park.  

https://www.wistv.com/2023/09/14/city-columbia-holds-groundbreaking-ceremony-launch-finlay-park-revitalization/ More on the Finlay Park work. Interestingly, Kirkman Finlay, Jr., whose father, formerly mayor of Columbia, Kirkman Finlay, Sr, is interviewed. He wants to be sure the park, named after his father, gets turned around.  

Edited by victory

• 1 month later...

https://www.wltx.com/article/news/local/congaree-river-tar-cleanup-complete/101-4eb12a86-831f-4993-8bdc-c0253f49ce0c  Plans for the crown jewel riverfront park can now proceed. Google Sasaki plan for Columbia urban development. This plan, commissioned years ago, is still in play, and being executed in other areas of the city such as the work currently being done on South Main.

Edited by victory