Finlay Park/Three Rivers Greenway /Rails-to-Trails System

Doug L

Given the current backlash against the Supreme Courts decision, justified IMO, it might not be the best time to do what you are saying.

If the Guignards are being unreasonable, then Coble should say so and explain why he feels that way. Of course, the Guignards have reached agreements with the cities of West Cola and Cayce. So, you have to wonder why there is a problem on the Columbia side of the river. I'm sure Coble would not take my advise, as he always wants everyone to like him, and he almost never takes a controversy stand, no matter how much the city will suffer for it.

These negotiations have been going on for years, the time to p*** or get off the pot was some time ago IMO. But then, that's Columbia for you. If Emenient Doman had been invoked two or three years ago, the matter would probably be decided by now.

Vicupstate:

In your reply you said "So, you have to wonder why there is a problem on the Columbia side of the river." I'm not sure how intimately you know the Columbia area, but there is so much prejudice in this area against the City of Columbia nothing surprises me when it emanates from outside of the city. The Guignards, I do believe, are from Cayce.

The Columbia side of the river will only continue to increase in value as downtown grows. They could be holding out for higher land values.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Having the riverwalk developed on their property, which can't be built on, would improve the value of there remaining, buildable property. Plus they donated the property on the other side. A conservation easement/donation would probably give them a huge tax write-off as well.

If indeed, they are waiting for high values, then emenient domain should be invoked. It's time for the city to draw a line in the sand.

Having the riverwalk developed on their property, which can't be built on, would improve the value of there remaining, buildable property.  Plus they donated the property on the other side.  A conservation easement/donation would probably give them a huge tax write-off as well. 

If indeed, they are waiting for high values, then emenient domain should be invoked.  It's time for the city to draw a line in the sand.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I agree. Snatch it up already, this is ridiculous!

• 2 weeks later...

The Salvation Army of Columbia has raised about $2 million to help land an $80 million grant to build a Kroc Center, which is an education, community and recreation center, on the Three Rivers Greenway.

Seems as though the community has been really generous in this effort, as the effort was only announced a month ago.

Most communities begin fund-raising after their grant has received preliminary approval. Showing the financial support of the community upfront could help the city

Edited by krazeeboi

Well, it looks like the Guinyards are ready to play. They're hooking up with USC to develop the property. This should also pave the way for the greenway and nullify the plan announced last week to reroute the greenway around the Guinyard property. Interesting story in The State.

And here's a link to a story at WIS with video of Mayor Bob talking about the deal.

More details on the new deal were announced in a news conference this afternoon. They'll have it on the news this evening.

Edited by emerging.me

• 2 months later...

That's great news, as this greenway ball keeps rolling I see the ideas are getting better. All this development is going to take columbia right off. I guess the government and city planners had to come up with some better ideals since the government has been under fire lately for not having a vision for the city and not producing. The downtown area is going to really look different in the next 15yrs, it's just too bad it didn't happen earlier. I can't wait to actually see the city i was born and raised in finally make it!!

• 8 months later...

A greenway update... construction on the West Columbia portion is now well underway. If you haven't been over there, check it out some time.

The next phase may be a Saluda River portion. See the map below. It appears to connect the Quail Hollow and Westover Acres/Saluda Terrace neighborhoods to the greenway near a Saluda River crossing, connecting to a path to the Riverbanks Zoo and continuing on to the confluence crossing which is planned. Awesome!

post-615-1153547591_thumb.jpg

Edited by emerging.me

So why is it the West Columbia portion?

Oh... I see what you're asking now. Sorry... I think I wasn't being clear at first. My first statement was about something totally different than what is depicted in the map. I was referring to the new West Columbia portion of the greenway which is down near where Jarvis Klapman crosses over 378.

The image depicts the Saluda River extension which is something totally different, although there is a bit of it in West Columbia also where it connects to Quail Hollow and Westover Acres.

Oh... I see what you're asking now. Sorry... I think I wasn't being clear at first. My first statement was about something totally different than what is depicted in the map. I was referring to the new West Columbia portion of the greenway which is down near where Jarvis Klapman crosses over 378.

The image depicts the Saluda River extension which is something totally different, although there is a bit of it in West Columbia also where it connects to Quail Hollow and Westover Acres.

OK! I sit corrected. Only 99.9999% of the image is in Columbia. :)

• 2 months later...

The State reports that the Columbia sections of the Three Rivers Greenway will cost much more than the $15 million first anticipated, according to records. As a result, remaining sections will have to be scaled back or built in phases. The sections will take longer to build. And city officials will have to find more money to pay for them.

Specific shortfalls have already been identified, and some adjustments have already been made: