Finlay Park/Three Rivers Greenway /Rails-to-Trails System

Doug L

• 4 months later...

Well, it looks like a critical section of the Greenway won't be finished in time for the 2008 Junior Wildwater World Championships due to lack of funds to complete it. The money shortage for the Saluda Riverwalk portion of the Greenway around the zoo comes as critics are questioning city grants totaling $2 million to Columbia College and Allen University. That money, intended for tourist-related activities, could have completed at least one phase of the Greenway, making the event more attractive to participants and spectators. Specifically, the city is about $3 million short of the $6.5 million needed to build the section. City Council member Kirkman Finlay said the shortfall of money for the greenway is symptomatic of larger problems: too many capital projects going on at the same time, poor long-term planning, and muddled bookkeeping.

At least this won't jeopardize the quality of the race, but it's disheartening to see projects like this unfinished before a big event comes to town. The entirety of the Main Street streetscaping project was also unfinished when the International Downtown Association convention came to Columbia last year.

Well, the argument was that the money wasn't going directly to the colleges, but rather the foundations owned by the colleges. It seems as though Anne Sinclair was the only one who actually thought the matter through and decided not to vote in favor of it. At the least, council should have postponed the matter while they got clarity from the state municipal association or another entity.

Well, it looks like a critical section of the Greenway won't be finished in time for the 2008 Junior Wildwater World Championships due to lack of funds to complete it. The money shortage for the Saluda Riverwalk portion of the Greenway around the zoo comes as critics are questioning city grants totaling $2 million to Columbia College and Allen University. That money, intended for tourist-related activities, could have completed at least one phase of the Greenway, making the event more attractive to participants and spectators. Specifically, the city is about $3 million short of the $6.5 million needed to build the section. City Council member Kirkman Finlay said the shortfall of money for the greenway is symptomatic of larger problems: too many capital projects going on at the same time, poor long-term planning, and muddled bookkeeping.

At least this won't jeopardize the quality of the race, but it's disheartening to see projects like this unfinished before a big event comes to town. The entirety of the Main Street streetscaping project was also unfinished when the International Downtown Association convention came to Columbia last year.

Finlay is right, this is par for the course in Cola. Always starting something new before the last projects are often even started, much less completed.

Kirk Finlay for Mayor !! At least he recognizes that there IS a problem.

I walked the new Cayce section to the government locks. It is an easy stroll, and the remnants of the locks are really impressive. The only disappointment was the ugly cyclone fence deperating the walkway from the locks. I hpe they plan on replacing the fence when they extend the greenway southward.

I walked the new Cayce section to the government locks. It is an easy stroll, and the remnants of the locks are really impressive. The only disappointment was the ugly cyclone fence deperating the walkway from the locks. I hpe they plan on replacing the fence when they extend the greenway southward.

The plan is to build a bridge from the inner wall of the lock to the outer wall.

• 2 weeks later...

Some pictures of the West Columbia portion of the River Walk.

IMG_0112.jpg

IMG_0106.jpg

IMG_0108.jpg

Amphitheater

IMG_0114.jpg

The water level is still high after being above flood stages earlier in the week.

IMG_0111.jpg

New town homes being built across the street from EdVenture, can't remember the name of this development.

IMG_0115.jpg

What a waste of prime real estate, and where did all the trees go :sick:

IMG_0122.jpg

IMG_0117.jpg

IMG_0118.jpg

IMG_0116.jpg

IMG_0121.jpg

IMG_0123.jpg

I love this view :wub:

IMG_0101.jpg

That development on the river in West Columbia is horrible from its clear cutting of beautiful trees to its faux stone wall to its elitist gate. We don't need developments like this. I'm glad to see how slow the lots are selling, it serves them right for building such an awful development.

That development on the river in West Columbia is horrible from its clear cutting of beautiful trees to its faux stone wall to its elitist gate. We don't need developments like this. I'm glad to see how slow the lots are selling, it serves them right for building such an awful development.

I agree wholeheartedly, but I seem to remember that the lots have all sold or nearly so, they just haven't been built upon. Investors/flippers may be holding onto some of them.

BrasilnSC, great pics man. :thumbsup: Try to get some over to the Southern Photo of the Day thread in the USA South forum. What kind of camera did you get?

The City Club development is the one occurring right across from EdVenture/the State Museum.

West Columbia missed a prime opportunity for a nice riverfront park to complement the greenway (and eventually the new park on the other side of the river). Oh well, that's what happens when real estate interests trump other interests (ask Charleston with the Daniel Island scenario).

That last shot represents a great photoshopping opportunity for a new tower or two. ;)

I agree wholeheartedly, but I seem to remember that the lots have all sold or nearly so, they just haven't been built upon. Investors/flippers may be holding onto some of them.

I agree with both of you. I also suspect the investors/flippers may not be making any money, there are an awful lot of for sale signs that have been there for a good long time.

• 4 weeks later...

The Saluda River portiong of the greenway has been delayed due to cost increases, reports the Free-Times. The River Alliance wanted this portion of the greenway to be completed in time for the Junior Wildwater Championship (a canoe and kayak competion that will bring over 100 young athletes July 16-19) in order to provide more room for spectators. The city only has half the money, $2.6 million. Mayor Coble says that the Canal Front section (in front of EdVenture) will be next.

Edited by BrasilnSC

• 5 months later...

Link Will Tie Greenway Together, The State reports.

Details:

- Two-block long section will cross under Gervais St. bridge and connect the north portion of the greenway to the proposed $75 million river front park.

- Cost $640,000

- Parking on Gist and Senate Streets

- Observation deck will provide views of the bridge and river

- Should be completed in 6 months

Other greenway projects:

CanalFront:

- $7 million

- Urban section in front of EdVenture

- Will include a pavilion with bathrooms, prep kitchen and meeting rooms.

- Could be up for bid in 30 days

The Esplanade:

- $4 million

- A walkway on the bluff along the Columbia Canal at the old state prison

- Could also be up for bid in 30 days

The Saluda Riverwalk:

- A long stretch of trails fronting Riverbanks Zoo on the northeast bank of the river

- Includes a bridge over the Saluda at I-26 and I-126

- Negotiations are ongoing

It's good to see these moving along. Now let's get the ball rolling on the River Front Park.

It's in the same article, just below the graphic you posted.

The half-mile section connect the Cayce Locks with Riverland Park subdivision. It should be completed by the end of the month or early October. With the addition of this section, the W. Cola/Cayce riverwalk will be about 4 miles long.

Edited by BrasilnSC