Finlay Park/Three Rivers Greenway /Rails-to-Trails System

Doug L

That is all great news! I love this greenway project so much. They've really done it with excellence thus far. I spoke to an official yesterday that confirmed that the plan is still to cross the confluence with some kind of footbridge... nothing in the immediate future, but it is still in the plan. There are also still plans to come up from the river on the north along Smith Branch and connect to the Park Central development on Sunset and ultimately run through Bull Street neighborhood. On the south side, the greenway is expected to one day connect the Mill Village Riverlink portion to USC's campus and on to MLK park in 5 Points. I believe the plan would then be to connect MLK to Bull Street... then we'd have a full circle.

• 1 month later...

Anyone know when the Cayce extension down to Riverland is going to open? I thought it was already opned, but the trail was fenced off around the waterfall (if you could call it that) when I went down there last week.

I thought I heard it opened in October, but I hadn't checked for myself. Maybe they have a bridge out or some other kind of safety issue??

Edited by emerging.me

I was there Monday and their sign says please excuse our mess or something like that while we extend or yada yada or something to that effect. You can see the lamp posts along the extended walkway as you gaze longingly from the gate where the sign is - at the beginning of the L-shaped bridge that crosses the waterfall creek.

I don't know when it is scheduled to open, but it's coming up soon and they aren't behind schedule. They might be building the crosswalk from the inner lock wall to the outer lock wall now.

Another part of the greenway is coming along, too. Across Williams Street from City Club, they are coming along nicely with the new city park at the base of the Gervais Street bridge. There will be plenty of parking and walkways, including boardwalks, and a lookout deck with a stunning view of the bridge and river. And you will be able to walk underneath the bridge to Edventure.

Later on and supposedly soon, Canal Front and the plaza at Edventure, and the Esplanade at Canal Side, are going to get underway with construction. I have seen the latest renderings of Canal Front and it is going to be incredibly nice.

• 1 month later...

I drove down to the Riverland Park community center today and walked on the new greenway extension up to where it ended before they opened the new extension. I saw a humongous racoon! I didn't know they were that tall when they ran on the ground. He jumped out of the woods up ahead and trotted down the walkway as though he thought it was built for him. He was acting rather erratic and was between me and this couple walking my way. I was worried he might have rabies, so I shouted to the couple to be careful. When I did, the racoon turned around and froze looking at me, and then jumped back into the woods. The lady said, "What was that?" I said, "A giant racoon that was acting strange!" By then I had broken off a long stick and guarded the walkway with it while they walked on past. As I continued on back to my truck I kept turning around to make sure the creature wasn't coming up behind me on the walkway. It was eerie. All this within eyeshot of the Columbia skyline, as the river bends a couple of times between downtown and that point so that you can see the city by just looking across the water.

I drove down to the Riverland Park community center today and walked on the new greenway extension up to where it ended before they opened the new extension. I saw a humongous racoon! I didn't know they were that tall when they ran on the ground. He jumped out of the woods up ahead and trotted down the walkway as though he thought it was built for him. He was acting rather erratic and was between me and this couple walking my way. I was worried he might have rabies, so I shouted to the couple to be careful. When I did, the racoon turned around and froze looking at me, and then jumped back into the woods. The lady said, "What was that?" I said, "A giant racoon that was acting strange!" By then I had broken off a long stick and guarded the walkway with it while they walked on past. As I continued on back to my truck I kept turning around to make sure the creature wasn't coming up behind me on the walkway. It was eerie. All this within eyeshot of the Columbia skyline, as the river bends a couple of times between downtown and that point so that you can see the city by just looking across the water.

Lol....I feel you on the eeire feeling....I was in the Granby Park section of the Greenway and heard some noises that had me very shaken. It wasn't so much the sound as it was really the timing of the noises. It seemed to move as i moved and when i stopped it didn't make a noise at all. No one but me heard it because everyone that passed me had MP3 players as they scrolled by. I got to one of the deck areas with a bench and heard something to my right.....I jumped and trotted off. I think i ran so fast that what every was following me lost me....lol...

Lol....I feel you on the eeire feeling....I was in the Granby Park section of the Greenway and heard some noises that had me very shaken. It wasn't so much the sound as it was really the timing of the noises. It seemed to move as i moved and when i stopped it didn't make a noise at all. No one but me heard it because everyone that passed me had MP3 players as they scrolled by. I got to one of the deck areas with a bench and heard something to my right.....I jumped and trotted off. I think i ran so fast that what every was following me lost me....lol...

Ha! Well, while we are sharing 3RG stories... I stepped in dog poop at the West Columbia riverwalk on Saturday! ;) People with pets should really be encouraged to let them do their business a little further away from the walking path. There is a serious abundance of turds right there in the area between the amphitheater and the Congaree Park gate. My mother always warned me about West Columbia... :)

Edited by emerging.me

Ha! Well, while we are sharing 3RG stories... I stepped in dog poop at the West Columbia riverwalk on Saturday! ;) People with pets should really be encouraged to let them do their business a little further away from the walking path. There is a serious abundance of turds right there in the area between the amphitheater and the Congaree Park gate. My mother always warned me about West Columbia... :)

I've never noticed piles or the smell of dog crap when I've been down there. Maybe you saw it at a rare peak.

• 3 weeks later...

I hope they quickly figure out how to connect the Esplanade and Canal Front; it would be a shame if you couldn't walk all the way from the museums up to Canalside. It is amazing to me how expensive these projects are. It will be incredible when everything is finished. My hope is to see many street vendors and street musicians along this stretch of riverfront.

I'm so glad work is set to begin for these projects. It'll really connect the Vista with the Greenway. Once these sections and the section in front of the new baseball stadium are complete, the river front park will be the only part left on the Columbia side (hope to see that break ground next year :shades: ).

Does anyone know if those ugly transmission lines will be buried?

• 1 month later...

That was a great read. Even though concrete plans have yet to be announced, I'm surprised they didn't mention the new riverfront park.

The article says that construction of The Esplanade will entail shoring up a 40-foot long historic granite wall that runs along the inside of the Columbia canal, building the walkway on top of the wall, and adding lighting and landscaping on either side. As part of the same project, a new city park will be built that will back up to CanalSide. Steve Gantt, senior assistant city manager, says the city plans to announce the award for the Esplanade contract and get started on the project next month, after which it should take about six months to complete.

Everthing is falling into place and moving along at a decent pace (of course we all wish it could move faster). The baseball stadium, Canalside, and the boardwalk in front of City Club are all underway. Work should begin soon (fingers crossed) at both the Esplanade and Canal Front. The last missing piece will be the river front park, which I hope is not too far off. These are exciting times.

• 3 weeks later...