Louisiana City Skylines

NCB

Are there height restrictions regarding building higher than the Capitol?

Yes, there is a height restriction on buildings in Baton Rouge. No building can be taller then 460 feet, the height of the State Capitol. Though there has been some talk of possible getting rid of that restriction if buildings taller than 460' are proposed in the city. The Riverside Condominium tower will be 36 stories and pretty close to the height of the State Capitol.

Yes, there is a height restriction on buildings in Baton Rouge. No building can be taller then 460 feet, the height of the State Capitol. Though there has been some talk of possible getting rid of that restriction if buildings taller than 460' are proposed in the city. The Riverside Condominium tower will be 36 stories and pretty close to the height of the State Capitol.

I hope they don't cave in. The State Capitol should be the highest building in the skyline. There's something nice about coming around that curve on I-10 East and seeing the Capitol standing tall. Not until you get closer do you notice the other buildings. In cities like Atlanta the State Capitol is lost amid the many skyscrapers. There's more to architecture than how high buildings can get, and I don't see why Baton Rouge should sacrifice it's signature building. It would diminish the effect of the Capitol building to clutter up the skyline.

I can understand your point , it makes sense. Not all buildings have to be tall. Currently Atlanta has 12 Skyscrapers 500+ft. And it's State Capitol is not very tall(270ft.)So it's easy to get lost in the shuffle . I do not think BR will have to worry about it's 450+ft. State Capitol getting lost. Also , I believe the State Capitol is placed far-enough North of the CBD, that other high-rise towers will not take-away from the spectacular view. The Capitol grounds act as a buffer-zone,and the nearest new State Bldgs. are no taller than 13-stories.

Cleveland's signature bldg.700 ft. Terminal Tower built way back in 1930( about time BR State Capitol built,1932) had the same ht. restriction, until 1991,when the 947ft. Key Tower was built. The 1930's sure is a long time-ago for BR not to have another signature Tower. I like a nice blend of new and old .

I have seen this done on other forums; I figured I would take a stab at it. The question I have is ,what exactly are the boundries to this ?

TOP 10 Southern Skylines ;

1)Houston- Boldest by far, then there is Uptown too;multiple Skylines

2)Dallas - I give em' the slight edge for 2nd; 17 bldgs. over 500 ft.

3)Atlanta- gaining ground for 2nd;Downtown / Mid-town merging

4)Miami-fastest growing;58 high-rise projects under construction,82 approved !

5)*(Tie)Charlotte-ultra modern, take-away 871'ft.Bank of America Bldg.and it drops to 6th place

5)*(Tie)New Orleans-dense urban-core; 12 bldgs. at +400'ft.

7)Tulsa-not exactly a southern city;but Oklahoma is listed on lower-south forum.

8)Tampa-ready to pass Tulsa for 7th;The new Trump Tower to add flash!

The "villes"too close to call : Jacksonville,Nashville,and Louisville(north).

*Honorable Mention- Richmond(northern most south w/Louisville)

Little Rock and Memphis. Sorry to Austin, I consider it more Southwest.

Top Smaller City Skyline : Greenville SC

What do yall think ?

I agree with everything on that. My personal prefrence is Atlanta and Dallas be switched. But thats just me. Otherwise, you hit the money on everything. I would also add Winston as #9 or 10. Also can't forget MB, Cola, and Norfolk.

^Great photos, supkoff!

I really like the skyline shots and the aerial, and the last two photos as well, they give a view of the city you dont see in most Shreveport pictures.

Thanks. I love photos like that... the urban landscape, rather than just the skyline. I love taking "different" photographs, so I have many of the urban landscape from ground level.

Thanks. I love photos like that... the urban landscape, rather than just the skyline. I love taking "different" photographs, so I have many of the urban landscape from ground level.

Same here. I could walk around New Orleans for hours just taking "different" pictures. I'm sure I could do the same thing in Shreveport as well.

Same here. I could walk around New Orleans for hours just taking "different" pictures.

Definitely. I have an entire folder of pictures I took at street level when I was in New Orleans last March. I love that city... I probably have more photos of New Orleans than I do of Shreveport, and that's saying a lot!

I love that city... I probably have more photos of New Orleans than I do of Shreveport, and that's saying a lot!

Haha, the only cities that come close to having as many pictures as New Orleans in my collection are Stockholm, Sweden, Copenhagen, Denmark, and London. But New Orleans is still far ahead of those cities. For me, when I'm walking around New Orleans there is a photo opportunity around every corner, whether it's a building, people, streetcars, etc. :D

I have to admit shreveport downtown is nice, sad that br is behind, mainly because of the way the buildings are lined up, i cant wait to see how its will look when the proposed high rises will complete the gaps.

I think dallas sky like is better than atlanta's. in atlanta every things is spaced apart.

I think dallas sky like is better than atlanta's. in atlanta every things is spaced apart.

I agree with you... I really don't like Atlanta's skyline. And as far as Texas goes, I prefer Dallas and Houston over every other city. My favorite American skyline is Chicago... I like New York, but Chicago's skyline is just more crisp and clean-looking. It gives a VERY favorable image for the city.

My favorite southern skyline would have to be Houston, followed by Dallas, Atlanta, and Miami. My favorite American skyline is Chicago as well, though I also really like New York.

Dang, dude, it's like you read my mind! That would be my lineup as well. I would also have to put L.A. in my top 5, though, only because I love that bank building. US Bank or whatever it is, the tall round building. Without that building, L.A. wouldn't be in my top 5, but I just think that one building makes their skyline.

^I completely agree. The US Bank Tower makes L.A.'s skyline, without it the skyline would be pretty bland and boring. Los Angeles is definately in my top 5 as well.

Just for reference, here is the US Bank Tower, or at least the top of it in Los Angeles :D

usbank.jpg

^I completely agree. The US Bank Tower makes L.A.'s skyline, without it the skyline would be pretty bland and boring. Los Angeles is definately in my top 5 as well.

Just for reference, here is the US Bank Tower, or at least the top of it in Los Angeles :D

usbank.jpg

Yeah, that's it. I'm glad to hear the terror plot against that building was foiled. That would be a huge loss to our great country's image as well.

I know this is off topic from Louisiana skylines, but we have a pretty good discussion going...

How do you guys feel about the Houston skyline in comparison with the Los Angeles skyline?

Houston skyline

houston_skyline_from_white_oak_bridge.jpg

houston.jpg

^From the USA Today

000_0752.jpg

Los Angeles skyline

350px-Los_Angeles_skyline_daytime_2.jpg

skyline.jpg

http://turbophoto.com/products/lax/downtown.jpg

Houston has the overall 3rd largest skyline in the country, followed by L.A. at #4.

Yeah Houston has a "bold" skyline , and just think that does not even include Houston's Uptown District (or Galleria District) lead by the 64-story 903'ft. Williams Tower(formerly Transco Tower). An NCB favorite ! That tower is said to be the tallest high-rise outside of any CBD !

Archived