Louisiana City Skylines

NCB

Ok, awhile back we had a few posts where we were comparing skykines outside of Louisiana, which I'd like to start up again.

So today, we'll have a "battle of the skylines"(corny I know ;)) between Houston and Philadelphia, the country's 4th and 5th largest cities. Which skyline do you prefer and why?

.images and captions snipped for reply.

Okay, I'm game.

I love... just absolutely love Houston's skyline. But I will say, the architecture in Philadelphia's skyline is certainly impressive.

Regardless, I have to give it to Houston. No doubt in my mind.

I love... just absolutely love Houston's skyline. But I will say, the architecture in Philadelphia's skyline is certainly impressive.

Regardless, I have to give it to Houston. No doubt in my mind.

That's exactly how I feel. I prefer the architecture of Philadelphia's skyline, but I prefer Houston's skyline because of overall size, height, and appeal. I just love that skyline. Though in Philadelphia the 975 foot Comcast Tower is currently under construction, and will definately add to the skyline.

Part of the skyline with Comcast Center(the tallest building in the photo) placed in it

Comcast_Tower.jpg

I think Skylines is a great subject to talk about !

Houston getS my vote too ! But like yall said, Philly's architecture get's the edge.

It's been said that if Uptown Houston was a city in itself, it would have the 14th largest CBD.

As far as Skylines in the U.S., I would rank only NYC and Chicago ahead of Houston. Los Angeles would be 4th . With those pics you posted for Philadelphia, I think they get the nod over places like Dallas and Atlanta. San Francisco, Miami, and Seattle would be next IMO. Boston, Minneapolis and Denver deserve to be mentioned. Then Pittsburgh and NEW ORLEANS ! Yes ! The Crescent City would have to Rank # 15 IMO for U.S. Skylines ?

What do you all think ???

I think Skylines is a great subject to talk about !

Houston getS my vote too ! But like yall said, Philly's architecture get's the edge.

It's been said that if Uptown Houston was a city in itself, it would have the 14th largest CBD.

As far as Skylines in the U.S., I would rank only NYC and Chicago ahead of Houston. Los Angeles would be 4th . With those pics you posted for Philadelphia, I think they get the nod over places like Dallas and Atlanta. San Francisco, Miami, and Seattle would be next IMO. Boston, Minneapolis and Denver deserve to be mentioned. Then Pittsburgh and NEW ORLEANS ! Yes ! The Crescent City would have to Rank # 15 IMO for U.S. Skylines ?

What do you all think ???

Great list, Richy. I have to admit I'd have to think really hard about where to put New Orleans. I love the city's skyline, but I'd just have to lay out my 'Top 20' and see where New Orleans falls.

But as for your top 4, I'm in total agreement: NYC, Chi-Town, H-Town, and then LA. No doubt.

Great list, Richy. I have to admit I'd have to think really hard about where to put New Orleans. I love the city's skyline, but I'd just have to lay out my 'Top 20' and see where New Orleans falls.

But as for your top 4, I'm in total agreement: NYC, Chi-Town, H-Town, and then LA. No doubt.

I really don't know where I'd put New Orleans either. I love NOLA's skyline, but I would really have to lay out a list and compare it to other skylines before I knew where to put it.

And my top 4 is the same, NYC, Chicago, Houston, and LA. There are plenty of cities you could put in that 5 spot though...

I really don't know that well. Metairie, I think.

I was really young and only stayed until age 5....even though we visited regularly since part of my family lived there.

Metairie huh? I almost moved to Metairie when I was really young, but my parents decided to stay in the French Quarter. That place is just booming right now, as is all of Jefferson Parish. I've heard population estimates for the parish now post-Katrina as high as 600,000 and Metairie is at at least 180,000, possibly closer to 200,000. It would be Louisiana's 4 largest city behind Shreveport even before Katrina, but it is unincorporated.

Well, it's nice to meet a fellow New Orleanian! Even if you only stayed until 5, your still New Orleans for life! :thumbsup:

Here's an old skyline for you guys!

This is Shreveport's skyline, date unknown. It had to be sometime in the 70s, though, given which modern buildings were already constructed and which weren't. I know this is pretty hard to see at its size, but I hope you can see it well enough.

143573683.jpg

And by the way, all these vintage photographs I'm posting are courtesy the State Library of Louisiana.

Nice fog pic too ! How many rooms are in the Wyndham ? Wow !

Its got 438 rooms. The smallest building is the Canal Place parking garage(the top two floors are part of the Whyndham), the middle building is the Wyndham, and the tallest building is Canal Place. It's a nice complex! :thumbsup:

BTW, nice old skyline photo, Brian!

Its got 438 rooms. The smallest building is the Canal Place parking garage(the top two floors are part of the Whyndham), the middle building is the Wyndham, and the tallest building is Canal Place. It's a nice complex! :thumbsup:

That's actually much smaller than I would have expected. I would have figured 600-750 rooms. It's a huge building, and the parking garage makes it look even larger. I believe that's why I overestimated the room count.

BTW, nice old skyline photo, Brian!

Yes... I was glad to find that. I've found tons of vintage Shreveport photos, all of which I plan to have posted over time.

That's actually much smaller than I would have expected. I would have figured 600-750 rooms. It's a huge building, and the parking garage makes it look even larger. I believe that's why I overestimated the room count.

Yes... I was glad to find that. I've found tons of vintage Shreveport photos, all of which I plan to have posted over time.

I look forward to seeing them!

Hey, how about another skyline battle to get this thread moving again! ;)

I was trying to come up with some cities, and these two popped into my head. So, we have two totally different cities, Seattle vs Dallas.

Seattle

seattle-skyline-classic.jpg

Seattle-Skyline_800x.jpg

684238_w.jpg

seattle_skyline_2.jpg

Dallas

36208520.Skyline.jpg

DallasSkylineMarch2005_ezr.jpg

skyline-crow-12-12-04.jpg

This one is fantastic!(From wikipedia)

StemmonsJan2006-2.jpg

I prefer Minneapolis. There was a time when I thought the Space Needle in Seattle was the coolest thing, but my taste has changed over the years and I just think it's ugly. I don't know how my taste could have changed that much in just a few years but it has. On top of that, these days there are just so many buildings that resemble that, so it's no longer unique.

Well, Minneapolis was going to be the next city in a skyline battle, but I need to come up with a good competitor.

Am I missing something, Nate? Nevermind. Your post says Seattle vs. Minneapolis. I wondered why Dallas was shown but I ignored it, since I already know what the Minneapolis skyline looks like.

My bad.

Seattle over Dallas any day.

This has nothing to do with skylines or louisiana either, but it looks like some moderators need to brush up on the alphabet:

http://www.urbanplanet.org/forums/index.php?showforum=10

:lol: :lol:

I've noticed that as well. Louisiana doesn't come before Kentucky in my alphabet either!

Am I missing something, Nate? Nevermind. Your post says Seattle vs. Minneapolis. I wondered why Dallas was shown but I ignored it, since I already know what the Minneapolis skyline looks like.

My bad.

Seattle over Dallas any day.

Oops, I don't know what happened there. I guess I was thinking Minneapolis or something, that was a complete typo. It was supposed to be Seattle vs Dallas.

:lol: :lol:

I've noticed that as well. Louisiana doesn't come before Kentucky in my alphabet either!

Haha yea I noticed this as well, but I just blew it off. I'll talk to the other mods and admins about it.

Oops, I don't know what happened there. I guess I was thinking Minneapolis or something, that was a complete typo. It was supposed to be Seattle vs Dallas.

Haha yea I noticed this as well, but I just blew it off. I'll talk to the other mods and admins about it.

I knew either Minneapolis or Dallas was a mistake, but I actually thought Dallas was the mistake.

Anyway like I said, Seattle over Dallas. Now a good city to compare to Minneapolis, in my opinion, would be either Indianapolis, Boston, or San Francisco.

edit: or if you're trying to compare one northern city to one southern city, maybe Minneapolis vs. Miami.

Anyway like I said, Seattle over Dallas. Now a good city to compare to Minneapolis, in my opinion, would be either Indianapolis, Boston, or San Francisco.

I was thinking San Francisco too. I think that would be a good comparison.

Archived