Louisiana City Skylines

NCB

Yeah Houston has a "bold" skyline , and just think that does not even include Houston's Uptown District (or Galleria District) lead by the 64-story 903'ft. Williams Tower(formerly Transco Tower). An NCB favorite ! That tower is said to be the tallest high-rise outside of any CBD !

Uptown is simply amazing... the simple fact that it gives Houston two skylines. Ever seen a pic with downtown and uptown from an angle where it appears to be one seamless skyline that would compete with NYC? AMAZING.

I prefer Houston as well. Not only does it have a great downtown skyline, but Uptown, the Texas Medical District, the University Area, and a few others have great small-mid sized skylines as well. :thumbsup:

And like you said richyb, I love the Williams Tower! It's probably my favorite building in the South. :D

The entire Houston skyline, taken from the Port of Houston by farhan007 over at SSC. :D

HPIM0647.jpg

^That view amazes me everytime. That photo makes Atlanta's downtown and uptown skylines look like nothing.

The entire Houston skyline, taken from the Port of Houston by farhan007 over at SSC. :D

HPIM0647.jpg

^That view amazes me everytime. That photo makes Atlanta's downtown and uptown skylines look like nothing.

Exactly! There are others on another website I visit, Houston Architecture Info. I have seen some cool ones around there as well.

Wow ! What a great shot of Houston's multiple skylines !

Houston is in a league-of-it's-own as far as the South goes .

There is even another smaller skyline 5 or 6 miles > west of Uptown , in an area called Westchase (Energy Corridor) near the Sam Houston Tollway ; it has a couple of 20-story office towers .

What's amazing is some of Houston's smaller skylines can really give the Shreveport skyline a run for its money, and most of them surpass Baton Rouge's current skyline altogether. :w00t:

No doubt. Even in Dallas, when driving through some of the outer areas I see suburbs like Addison whose skylines would give Shreveport or Baton Rouge a run for their money... and those are just the suburbs!!

No doubt. Even in Dallas, when driving through some of the outer areas I see suburbs like Addison whose skylines would give Shreveport or Baton Rouge a run for their money... and those are just the suburbs!!

Haha, the only suburb of New Orleans that would even come close to doing that is Metairie, and it's only got a few 20+ storey buildings. ;)

Haha, the only suburb of New Orleans that would even come close to doing that is Metairie, and it's only got a few 20+ storey buildings. ;)

Metairie is actually pretty nice as far as suburbs go. I know the first time I ever saw the buildings there I was very surprised and impressed. Not bad for a suburb... especially for a suburb of a Louisiana city!

Well, have a good one. I'm out for the day, and maybe even for the weekend. I hope to have some great photos to upload on Monday.

I didn't expect to be here on a Saturday, but I've got some great new photos. I took some on my way home last night and then took some more before lunch today. I have nearly 200 photos to go through and download, so I hope to have a few really good ones to post soon.

• 3 weeks later...

This is the Skyline tread , this does not qualify as skyline or even a high rise . But this is West Monroe we are talking about . This is the only pic. I could find of the 5-story Richland Tower , West Monroe's tallest bldg. completed in Dec.2004

http://ouachitacitizen.com/custom/webpage....ent=news&id=685

To be honest I thought Monroe/West Monroe had stopped growing and was starting to go backward. Good to see this nw development, and no doubt it's West Monroe's tallest... aside from that, West Monroe has nothing but homes, restaurants, stores, etc.

By looking at stagnant population figures , Monroe and Lake Charles have been about the same since the 60's . And Alexandria and New Orleans have been decreasing for a long time . In the late 50's or early 60's NOLA had a pop. of 636,000...then even pre-Katrina had it down to about 480,000, kind of sad.

By looking at stagnant population figures , Monroe and Lake Charles have been about the same since the 60's . And Alexandria and New Orleans have been decreasing for a long time . In the late 50's or early 60's NOLA had a pop. of 636,000...then even pre-Katrina had it down to about 480,000, kind of sad.

Uhh... Richy... did you have a seisure or something when pushing the 'Add Reply' button? hahaha

Seriously, though, it IS very sad... the whole state's population trends are sad. Heck, even the city of Shreveport's population has been steadily declining, so in order to post gains on the Census, the city keeps annexing heavily-populated rural areas outside the city limits. Bossier City and the suburbs are where the growth is occurring, not Shreveport. It's very sad... and New Orleans... is the saddest of all. That city has ALWAYS had so much going for it. I hate to see its population decline so much.

hell according to the census, even baton rouge lost population between 2000 and 2004

the bleeding has got to stop sometime

Yea, Baton Rouge experienced a small white flight from the city from 2000-2004. Though because of Katrina, I'm pretty sure the city will have gained population from the 2000 census in the 2010 census. The Baton Rouge metro has been one of the fastest growing metro's in the country under 1 million in the last few years, and that growth will most likely continue at an even faster rate after Katrina.

As for New Orleans, it's highest estimated population was 705,000 in 1965, and from that point on the population has decreased to a pre-Katrina estimated 462,000 in 2004. It is sad to see, though the metro has grown quite a bit since that 1965 city population estimate. I believe the metro areas population in 1960 was around 950,000, and that figure has grown to an estimated 1.33 million in 2004. And the metro is expected to grow past the 1.4 million mark by 2007.

I am so sorry for the multiple post . It seemed to never go-thru(like it was stuck) . I was suprised to see all that there . Sorry again.

Nice pics from atop the State Capitol NCB ! I can't wait to see that same picture in a few years ! BR's is going to have an actual Skyline ! I am anxious for them to begin construction Downtown . 06' is supposed to be a break-thru year with six major projects set to begin. By late Spring the 30+story RiverPlace Condominiums should begin(will be on far right of pic) ; late Summer the 19-story Laurel Tower ; and City Plaza II 18-20 stories later this year. Looking directly down Fourth Street will be the new Courthouse 10-12 stories ; Kress,Welch,& Levy Bldg. at 10-stories(Third at Main); and a proposed 10-story office bldg. on Sixth Street. I look forward to the day that same pic taken has all those developments . And still waiting to see what they will do with the Advocate Bldg. once it is razed . It is on prime riverfront property , and could become a signature Bldg. Downtown !

addison has an awesome urban skyline....

there is also the 75 corridor and 635 corridors full of impressive high rises.

Houston definately has the best downtown in the south! and its way more impressive than los angeles.

i like LA's alot cuz it looks so modern.

I think if houston has a sky scraper like the one in LA (forget the name) they would probably have the best skyline

Archived