Louisiana City Skylines

NCB

Very impresive set of photos, fridayinla! It's true that you never seem to hear about L.A.'s multiple other skylines, especially when compared to cities like Houston or Atlanta.

And just an off-topic question, does anyone else think L.A.'s Century City skyline looks like a more flashy version of the Birmingham skyline, minus the large white box building in the center?

Centuryl City

intro-last.h.jpeg

Birmingham

skyline-2.jpg

^Wow. TRUE Nate, Central City and Birmingham do have a striking resemblance to each other!!! Nice comparison.

Thanks for posting those photo's fridayinla. You are definitly bring-up a good point about LA's skylines....I knew they had multiple skylines, maybe just not that many. Thanks for the run-down(tour), I am really impressed. I have never been to LA Area, but I have been to Houston numerous times, so I guess it's just easier to visualize. Houston has multiple skylines too with Downtown, Uptown, Greenway Plaza, Medical corridor, Energy Corridor, Airport(north).

I guess in skyline battles I only included the CBD's.

Wow! Very interesting stuff!

I think I might get ya'll with this one. :D

Singapore

City population- 4,483,900

Tallest building: Republic Plaza- 919 ft

Number of buildings above 900 feet: 3

Number of buildings above 700 feet: 8

Number of buildings above 500 feet:35

s3vd3.png

s2rc7.png

s4xg8.png

Los Angeles

City population- 3,844,829

Metro population- 12,923,547

Tallest building: US Bank Tower- 1,018 ft

Number of buildings above 900 feet: 1

Number of buildings above 700 feet: 8

Number of buildings above 500 feet:21

a1ou7.png

a3hn7.png

a2cm8.png

LA no doubt. Dap to Singapore though, that's a pretty awesome skyline. I think you have to go there to truly appreciate it. There are so many skylines there, but the core is awesome. If you get the city on a clear day with the mountains in the background, as Stephen did, there is no contest.

L.A. wins this one for me. I love how Singapore's skyline looks with the ballpark. Knowing that there is more to L.A. skyline(multiple skylines) then these pictures show I will have to go with L.A.

Good job Dan :thumbsup: this was definitely a tough one. Those two skylines look very similar.

Nice match-up Dan.

What LA has been able to do with high-rise earthquake proof technology is simply amazing!!! To look back and see for many years LA's tallest, City Hall( similar looking to BR's Capitol) was only 32-stories bec. of earthquakes. And since then to the skyline rise-upward so dramatically :shok: Singapore skyline is awesome looking too. I am not aware of their different skylines around the city; on that first pic some tall looking buildings in the far background....incredible that each city has exactly 8 high-rises over 700'ft.

With all that said... I give it to LA.

Will we have to change our U.S. Skyline Rankings with L.A.??

I'm going with Singapore on this one. I don't know why, but I just like it better.

Actullay Singapore has some pretty good sized buildings outside the downtown, one of which is 750 feet. Here's a picture of some smaller skylines to the right of the CBD.

untitledmh2.png

Yep, I'll have to go with L.A. on this one. Both skylines are extremely impressive, but the taller density and natural setting of the Los Angeles skyline wins it for me.

Dan, I've got my own skyline battle coming up, so hold off a bit if you can! :)

Alright, both of these cities have been used before, but It's a battle that I've wanted to do for a while now; "The Ville's."

Nashvile

City population- 549,110

Metro population- 1,485,499

Tallest building: BellSouth Building- 617 feet

Number of buildings above 600 feet: 1

Number of buildings above 400 feet: 5

Number of buildings above 200 feet: 23

Photo courtesy of Cantbeatthebrick on Flickr

264293229_14eaee4b07_b.jpg

nashville-skyline.jpg

Courtesy of Matt Robinson at www.metroscenes.com

nsh12.jpg

Louisville

City population- 556,429

Metro population- 1,342,918

Tallest building: Aegon Center- 549 feet

Number of buildings above 600 feet: 0

Number of buildings above 400 feet: 4

Number of buildings above 200 feet: 17

Photo courtesy of katmystiry on Flickr

21767387_e04b47bb4c_b.jpg

Photo courtesy of C.L. Gray on Flickr

185833247_23b708aba7_o.jpg

Photo courtesy of mtparadis on Flickr

24822368_28b232262a_o.jpg

Nate; This is what you said way back on June 5th :lol::P

Richy...get out of my head! I was seriously just about to start a skyine battle between Nashville and Louisville!

after I said......

Maybe a good match-up could be the battle of the "ville's".

Nashville vs. Louisville...or Jacksonville may want to join ?

And our replies were....

Brian

Louisville isn't bad, but I'm all about Nashville. To answer Richy's question, I actually love the 'Batman' building in Nashville. I don't know why... because it's so different, I suppose. The Signature Tower is what's going to be the sure winner for Nashville in my opinion.

yours.....

Nashville wins it for me, and it wins pretty easily actually. Louisville's skyline is alright, but I just don't like most of the buildings comprising it. I've never been a big fan of the dome on the Aegon Center, and while National City Tower is alright, it's nothing special. I'm normally fans of most buildings in skylines in the U.S., but for some reason Louisville's buildings just don't appeal to me. Nashville on the other hand has a great skyline, filled with nice buildings, IMO. I love the Batman Building, and like the designs of many other high-rise's. Nashville also has more skyscraper density than Louisville, which boost's it up for me.

You get the point...Rod and I also replied, so did bluff

Hard to get rid of the "villes"

Louisville for me. I like the Bellsouth "Batman" building in Nashville, but Louisville has more buildings I like and it's got better balance IMO.

So since June 5th Brian has changed his mind :lol: He's got that right!

Nashville by far. I just don't think Louisville holds a candle to Nashville. To me, it just doesn't have a cool factor. "The Batman building" is the cool factor, plus at night it kicks Louisville's butt!

This is the photo of Louisville that sealed it for me.

21767387_e04b47bb4c_b.jpg

I've seen lots of excellent shots of Nashville, though, as well. Louisville is about to completely ruin their skyline with that 60-some-odd floor behemoth they're going to build.

:lol:

At least we got a few good laughs out of this one, and now we all know about Brian being a flip-flopper! Seriously though, I completely forgot about already posting this battle 7 months ago, but, oh well!

P.S. I hate the Museum Plaza project, and I would go insane if I knew something like that was coming to New Orleans.

I wish that S'port had something this tall, but I would definitely forgo this structure. That thing is a total waste of money. Do they really think that anyone would want to live in or do business from this aberration?

I've noticed people in Louisville really take up for this building. They make excuses for it simply because of its height. Sure I'd love a building this tall as well, but if this were presented, as a citizen of such a fine city, I'd feel this was a slap in the face. This isn't even art.

Looks to me like a combination of a bad acid trip, a children's park slide, the Clinton Presidential Library, and the twin towers of the WTC.
Good analogy :thumbsup:

I wish that S'port had something this tall, but I would definitely forgo this structure. That thing is a total waste of money. Do they really think that anyone would want to live in or do business from this aberration?

That's a good question...my answer would be "No".

Archived