Columbia's loss, Greenville's gain

krazeeboi

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I understood what you meant, MAJIKMAN.  Translation for the others:  Columbia (City) = one big Clemson (City)....it's just a larger version of a college town.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

:thumbsup: Yeah!!!!!!! We are on the same page. If it were not for USC the folks

down there would not have anything to rally around. Its surely not around business. :rolleyes: I better not say that. Or the state might come and get me. :rofl:

I understood what you meant, MAJIKMAN.  Translation for the others:  Columbia (City) = one big Clemson (City)....it's just a larger version of a college town.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Oh I understand what he was getting at...although I do disagree. USC is certainly a significant feather in Columbia's cap, but it isn't the cap itself--by far.

Now hold on guys. I was just kiddin' with you. I know that there is more going there than that. And to tell you the truth. That is not only good for you it is good

for everybody. Just think about it. When companies open up shop anywhere in the state. They want to know what the rest ( of the state ) is like. No matter if it is Columbia, Greenville, or Charleston. So I am glad that everyone is growing. Hey.

Can we give the whole state a pat on the back? Sure we can!!!!

Now hold on guys. I was just kiddin' with you. I know that there is more going there than that. And to tell you the truth. That is not only good for you it is good

for everybody. Just think about it. When companies open up shop anywhere in the state. They want to know what the rest ( of the state ) is like. No matter if it is Columbia, Greenville, or Charleston. So I am glad that everyone is growing. Hey.

Can we give the whole state a pat on the back? Sure we can!!!!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Majik, I understand what you're saying, but the truth is, compared to our neighbors, our fair state is not growing very quickly and is not moving up the economic ladder. It's time to shake things up, IMO.

Majik, I understand what you're saying, but the truth is, compared to our neighbors, our fair state is not growing very quickly and is not moving up the economic ladder. It's time to shake things up, IMO.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

SC is definitely behind in terms of its cities' growth, especially economically. If you look at NC, GA, and FL, these states make ours look puny when dealing with economic development and growth. Sure, we're growing, but we need to grow at a higher rate. The only way to do that is to give companies incentives to locate here, and we need a better-educated population. One good incentive would be to get rid of the state income tax...that alone would provide a huge incentive for both employers and retirees to move here. As a result, we would have a larger population which would require more commericial services. This incentive is what makes FL such an attractive to place to not only retire, but to live and work.

SC is definitely behind in terms of its cities' growth, especially economically. If you look at NC, GA, and FL, these states make ours look puny when dealing with economic development and growth. Sure, we're growing, but we need to grow at a higher rate. The only way to do that is to give companies incentives to locate here, and we need a better-educated population. One good incentive would be to get rid of the state income tax...that alone would provide a huge incentive for both employers and retirees to move here. As a result, we would have a larger population which would require more commericial services. This incentive is what makes FL such an attractive to place to not only retire, but to live and work.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

So, we get rid of state income tax... Then where do we get the money opperate and fund the state, not to mention doing this for a larger population. Or should we just make cuts? Education, police forces, hmmm, where to begin? :o

Except sales taxes are regressive; they put more of the tax burden on the poor. The poor in South Carolina are bad enough off already.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Spartan is exactly right, you increase the sales tax. However, the burden on the poor will be offset by the fact that they will have more money to spend without getting taxed twice by the state.

You also can increase another tax such as the hospitality tax which makes visitors, tourists, and travelers help pay for roads, parks, and other projects. I know I keep saying this, but look at FL. Their citizens don't pay high sales taxes, yet the highways, parks, and other projects are great.

There is a lot more tourism in FL than SC. There is also less poverty and incarceration that the state has to spend money on. If SC is to significantly reduce it's tax burden (not just shift it around), then efficiencies have to be found. SC has a large amount of higher education duplication for example. Also, there is a multitude of small school district that needlessly increases the average administration costs.

Sanford's plan to identify and priority the functions that the state provides was a wise and good idea. As usual, the legislature in it's laziness and ignorance, refused to lift a finger to implement a bit of it.

Until the legislative power is reformed, SC will continue to fall further behind the other states.

Archived