River Bank Books & Music - Downtown GR

Prankster

Just got done looking through the upcoming agenda for the City Commission this week, and one of the agenda items is a BRIP grant for a new bookstore in the Steketee's building. The description is a 7,800 sf store owned and managed by a lady that owns a current bookstore in Montague. The name of the company is something like River City Bookstore. If this happens, it will be a real coup for Rockford Construction.

It will be interesting to find out what happens with the RBC proposal at the City Center ramp site, because they were proposing a two story bookstore for that location also.

Oh well, either way it will be a win for downtown. Because we will have gotten another cornerstone for which to build a successful downtown upon.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I agree. The more diverse the business base get downtown, the better off we are. People have been clamoring for a bookstore downtown for a long time. Hopefully if/when one comes in, it will become a permanent addition.

I agree.  The  more diverse the business base get downtown, the better off we are.  People have been clamoring for a bookstore downtown for a long time.  Hopefully if/when one comes in, it will become a permanent addition.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

John Wheeler at Rockford Construction has stated that for downtown to be truly revitalized, it will need a grocery store/market, bookstore, pharmacy & movie theater. He now has the market opening this fall, and is about to close the deal with the bookstore. He had garnered a commitment from Rite Aid to build on the City Center site if he was awarded the job. So the only thing left to get will be the movie theater, which will be the most difficult to put together.

I'm surprised this hasn't gotten much attention from this forum, because if it comes to fruition, will be a huge asset for downtown.

John Wheeler at Rockford Construction has stated that for downtown to be truly revitalized, it will need a grocery store/market, bookstore, pharmacy & movie theater.  He now has the market opening this fall, and is about to close the deal with the bookstore.  He had garnered a commitment from Rite Aid to build on the City Center site if he was awarded the job.  So the only thing left to get will be the movie theater, which will be the most difficult to put together.

I'm surprised this hasn't gotten much attention from this forum, because if it comes to fruition, will be a huge asset for downtown.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

If J.W. is truly interested in revitalizing the downtown, he has to learn to be a good neighbor.

I'm hoping that the store stays open past 5:00 PM.  ^_^

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Wouldn't it have to, in order to stay in business? Closing right at 5 p.m. was the death of Stek's, etc., if I recall correctly. That, and the advent of the malls out on the Beltline, etc. I would think that the new breed of downtown resident would demand later hours.

And it has to have a place for coffee, and comfortable leather chairs and couches.

Well I suppose that as long as evening sales are greater than whatever it costs to pay employees during that time, it'll stay open. I would hope that they would stay open till at least 9 or 10 during the week and maybe a bit later on weekends. Coffee, chairs, etc are a must. Not to have those things would be like having a restaurant with no tables!

Well I suppose that as long as evening sales are greater than whatever it costs to pay employees during that time, it'll stay open.  I would hope that they would stay open till at least 9 or 10 during the week and maybe a bit later on weekends.  Coffee, chairs, etc are a must.  Not to have those things would be like having a restaurant with no tables!

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

And they could hang art created by the SoFu artists to encourage creativity. Not hang art of the artists from Underground Studio, however. They are already very well represented. It would be great to stick w/the artists in the immediate area.

More info on the bookstore in the Steketees Building. It would actually go on the Fountain Street side in this beautifully restored portion.

Bookstore pitched for Stek's building

Tuesday, August 09, 2005

By Chris Knape

The Grand Rapids Press

GRAND RAPIDS -- Downtown may get its first mainline bookstore in more than 17 years.

But it could end up costing the city's Downtown Development Authority $50,000.

On Wednesday, the DDA will consider a $50,000 grant request to help with what may be a $980,000 project to bring a bookstore and coffee bar to the Steketee's building.

he 7,800-square-foot independent store, to be located at 28 Fountain St. NW, would fill one of the largest empty retail spaces downtown. While the store would face Fountain, it also would be accessible from the building's Monroe Center lobby.

http://www.mlive.com/business/grpress/inde...6390.xml&coll=6

Rear of the Steketees Building from Fountain Street - recently refinished

F3B4AA10FD1E11D9809F6CDA18F73B1D.jpg

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Archived