River Bank Books & Music - Downtown GR

Prankster

I agree with Joe.  That grant is for building improvements.  I'd rather wait for a bookstore that can support itself and not rely on the city.  I'm sure there are other bookstore deals out there right now anyway.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You can't fault her for asking, though ;) A small independent bookstore is already at a disadvantage against the big ones. And despite our optimism, I don't think there are bookstores fighting each other to set up shop downtown. Not yet, anyways.

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That's great (that it is moving forward)!  I can see the arguments against giving the BRIP grant, but what's done is done.  It shouldn't take long to build out that space.  I walked through the "arcade" next door that goes through from Fountain to Monroe Center today.  I didn't even realize there was a "Curves for Women" in there (you find something new every day).

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That Curves for Women is fabulous. I work out there 3x a week. The facility is awesome... natural wood floors.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm awful with sq. footage. Comparatively, how big will this be compared to ther Schuler's on Alpine? Half the size, a quarter?

Joe

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I would guess that Schulers is about 30,000 square feet, so about a 1/3. It will be more like "Shop Around the Corner" than "Fox's Books", if you've seen the urban chick flick "You've Got Mail" :P . I peaked in the windows, and the original support columns are scattered throughout with tarnished trim at the tops and bottoms, and I believe I saw original hardwood floors, so it will be a very cool place. And Fountain Street and Ionia are now open!!! I will post pics in a while.

• 2 months later...

I am kind of surprised that Borders doesn't have a store in west Mi, afterall they are one of the largest bookstore chain and based out of Ann Arobor and they do tend to have stores in downtowns as well as mall areas.

Someone on this board that used to work for Schuelers answered this in a previous thread. Basically, Schuelers relies on their inventory system from Borders, and it would seriously cut into Borders business if they started to canibalize their customers business.

Hope I answered that correctly. :P

Is the main entrance for the store going to be on Fountain? I remember a couple of years ago when all those buildings on Fountain, at Ottawa were boarded up. Do any of you know how big the bookstore will be? Any predictions on how well it will do, or if it will encourage more than just sushi bars to open up and sell things downtown again?

Main entrance on Fountain - check

8000 square feet - check

Boarded up windows on Fountain gone - check

Entire rear of Steketees building on Fountain completely remodeled - check

Bookstore with coffee shop and live music - check

Downtown retail thriving again - :unsure: we can surely hope

I really like Fountain Street, maybe even better than Monroe Center.

I got you covered MJLO. No warries mate.

in reference to my above post,

i feel like i've turned into the forum cynic. I'm not! (a little self assurance never hurt anyone)

Nothing wrong with asking some very pointed questions. It doesn't mean you're nessasarily cynical, you're just looking for hard facts vs feel good general statements. A combination of both seems to work well for most people. :D

I didn't think you were being cynical, MJLO. They were good questions. You're right Prankster, the correct mix of optimism and realism works well. Although, cynicism never moved any dirt or got hammers swinging. I think in almost any successful business venture, there is always a tiny bit of "this may be a huge bust, but let's do it anyway".

Just imagine the leap of faith the owner of this new bookstore is taking. She is willing to put up almost a million dollars into an area that everyone says no longer supports retail. How easier it would have been to put it out in Knapp's Corner, or one of the proposed "lifestyle centers".

I truly hope everyone here will make an effort to patronize this business, and encourage everyone they know to do so also. If we are to see downtown turn into the center of West Michigan we all want it to be, we need to support these people that are willing to risk a lot to make it happen.

Sorry if I come across as too preachy, but people will be watching this to see if retailers can succeed downtown. If it is successful, you will see a lot of others willing to join the race downtown.

Archived