Upstate Forum Realignment

Spartan

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, is it just me? I'm really confused with this additional sub forum. :wacko:

Example: GSP Airport post are not under Greenville OR Spartanburg, but Upstate. This new format is confusing. Why were Greenville / Spartanburg split? We're one area. What does everybody else think?

I like Greenville having it's own forum. I think it is big enough to stand on it's own. Besides, most of the posts in the old GSA forum were about Greenville anyway, so I think past discussion shows that it deserves it's own forum.

Besides, I can't be the only one here who usually skips over the Spartanburg and Anderson posts. :)

Call me crazy, but I rather liked the forum structure as it was previously. Granted, most of my posts were pertaining to Greenville, but that's simply because I don't get to Spartanburg or Anderson often. Heck, I don't get out of my own house very often... :whistling:

If it's going to be organizationally split, maybe the paths should be:

UrbanPlanet.org > Cities, Places, Regions > The Southern USA > South Carolina > Upstate Metros > Greenville

UrbanPlanet.org > Cities, Places, Regions > The Southern USA > South Carolina > Upstate Metros > Spartanburg

UrbanPlanet.org > Cities, Places, Regions > The Southern USA > South Carolina > Upstate Metros > Anderson

UrbanPlanet.org > Cities, Places, Regions > The Southern USA > South Carolina > Upstate Metros > Rock Hill

I would prefer something like "Upstate Metros" over "The SC Upstate" for that Parent Forum. Also, I personally consider Rock Hill to be part of the Upstate, even though it's more-or-less part of the Charlotte, NC Metro. :thumbsup:

I'm not sure if I would call Rock Hill an upstate metro. I agree it is on the cusp of the dividing line between the PeeDee area and the Upstate, but in all practicality, its really part of the Charlotte metro. I invision the upstate metros of SC to be the ones on the I-85 Corridor in SC.

Almost all the Rock Hill forumers post in the Charlotte section however.

If things are going to be split this way, then please at least get all the post into the right area. exanple: Greenville Convetion Center is currently under the Upstate section, not Greenville. When you look through the Upstate section, several post need to be moved in to Greenville.

Also, if it's going to be split this way, why not just have 5 subforums under South Carolina: 1. Charleston 2. Columbia 3. Greenville 4. Spartanburg 5. Anderson

"The SC Upstate" doesn't work very well.

Also, if it's going to be split this way, why not just have 5 subforums under South Carolina:  1. Charleston  2. Columbia  3. Greenville  4. Spartanburg  5. Anderson

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I briefly considered suggesting this as well, but there are a lot of other topics from around the Upstate that don't necessarily fit easily into Greenville, Spartanburg, or Anderson (Greer/Taylors/GSP/Oconee County/Pickens County/etc.), so, they have to roll-up to something and an Upstate Parent Forum is a better place for them to land than in the South Carolina State Parent Forum.

That's my guess as to why it's organized this way. I'd still prefer to see the Upstate Parent Forum read as "Upstate Metros" instead of "The SC Upstate" though.

The Greenville section was created because there is so much activity concerning it that the other posts get knocked down the list very fast. I believe that with Greenville having its own section we can boost the activity of other areas.

We have had maybe 2 threads about Anderson since the inception the SC subforum.

Please let me know if you see any other posts that are misplaced. It is a very tedious job to move all of them, and I often miss some.

The SC Upstate is there because we are such a connected place. Where would Greer or GSP International posts go if it weren't there? GSP is not in Greenville or Spartanburg specifically. Having these two cities in line with the rest of SC will really throw that off. We have so many Upstate related topics and so much activity that it just makes sense to keep it grouped together, but let each city have its own area to talk about local things. I am certain that mr greenville is not the only one who skips over the Spartanburg and Anderson posts. I believe that there are others from Anderson or Spartanburg who might not care as much about Greenville and loose track of the threads they are interested in. I read everything whether I reply or not, so it makes no difference to me.

If you have any better ideas for a name for the Upstate's section I would be glad to hear it. I am not opposed to changing it.

The only other option would be to have the Upstate section along beside Columbia, Charleston, Greenville, and Spartanburg, but I think that would be too confusing.

If we do create a Rock Hill forum, it will be in the SC section too, don't worry. But that is not the topic at hand.

I think Greer, Taylors, and Pickens County posts clearly go in the Greenville forum since they are in the Greenville metro area. GSP posts should too, since GSP is in Greer (which is in Greenville, the major metro area the airport is associated with).

Spartanburg is big enough to warrant it's own forum.

Oconee County and Anderson County stuff can just go in the South Carolina forum, can't they? You know, in the pinned topics for the respective development threads (e.g., Oconee County Developments)?

The fact that GSP is called "Greenville-Spartanburg International Airport," and the fact that it is located 99% in Spartanburg County leads me to conclude otherwise. It is not just Greenville's airport.

Greer splits the county line. I would like to hear from some of our Greer members and what they think about that.

The Upstate exists because there are so many regional topics. Greer and the airport are minor issues.

Pickens can go either way. Easley belongs with Greenville, but Clemson should be more with Oconee or Anderson, IMO.

I will say this though, if enough of you are in agreement that the Upstate section should go, then I will have it removed.

I will say this though, if enough of you are in agreement that the Upstate section should go, then I will have it removed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I vote that we keep it for roll-up topics that don't specifically pertain to ONLY Greenville, Spartanburg, or Anderson. All three communities are very tightly linked and there are plenty of Regional Topics out there already.

I would imagine this won't end just because the three major municipalities (or two of them) have been given their own sub forums.

Please let me know if you see any other posts that are misplaced. It is a very tedious job to move all of them, and I often miss some.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hi Spartan, Thanks! Here are a few more that need to be placed in the Greenville subforum:

"Magazine Article"

"Entrepreneurial Cities"

"Whats the Status of Heritage Green"

"The Upstates New Water Park"

"IBM and Upstate"

Thanks! :)

It just doesn't say "Urban" the way "Upstate Metros" does, but it's still better than "The SC Upstate," which is somewhat redundant, being under "South Carolina" already.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I have to have SC in the name for statistical purposes as Upstate by itself does not identify it against the other 50+ forums we have on UrbanPlanet.org when I am pulling numbers for how busy we are doing. The term is not unique to SC.

I think Greer, Taylors, and Pickens County posts clearly go in the Greenville forum since they are in the Greenville metro area.  GSP posts should too, since GSP is in Greer (which is in Greenville, the major metro area the airport is associated with).

Spartanburg is big enough to warrant it's own forum.

Oconee County and Anderson County stuff can just go in the South Carolina forum, can't they?  You know, in the pinned topics for the respective development threads (e.g., Oconee County Developments)?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Spartanburg is perhalps at that stage, but it should NOT be placed above Greenville on the list under any cicumstance. This shows one of the obvious advantages of a moderater being from there, even though traffic is tremendously higher for the true heart of the Upstate - that being Greenville. The first thing I noticed was that it is not even alphabetically correct. :huh:

Otherwise, I'll have to navigate the site a bit more before I form any other major concerns. It may not be as easy, but I totally understand the concept. :)

Spartanburg is perhalps at that stage, but it should NOT be placed above Greenville on the list under any cicumstance.  This shows one of the obvious advantages of a moderater being from there, even though traffic is tremendously higher for the true heart of the Upstate - that being Greenville.  The first thing I noticed was that it is not even alphabetically correct. :huh:

Otherwise, I'll have to navigate the site a bit more before I form any other major concerns.  It may not be as easy, but I totally understand the concept. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Im still confused as to why Spartanburg and Anderson are even mentioned with Greenville. Greenville needs its own Forum. Spartanburg can try all it wants to be like Greenville, but at the end of the day, a dump is still a dump.

Reply to deltad22:

Watch it now, I didn't say that! Spartanburg definitely has shown signs of incredible progress. My only problem with this forum is that Greenville should be on top of the Upstate subforums because (1) it comes before Spartanburg in the alphabet, and (2) it is the heart of the Upstate's economy and buzz. I could never bash Spartanburg as "trying to be like Greenville all it wants," because that should be admired as a compliment. Other cities across the U.S. are looking to Greenville for positive examples as well. I think Spartanburg has integrated a good mixture of "similar" ideas with several others that are quite unique unto itself and that is a good thing. :)

Spartanburg is perhalps at that stage, but it should NOT be placed above Greenville on the list under any cicumstance.  This shows one of the obvious advantages of a moderater being from there, even though traffic is tremendously higher for the true heart of the Upstate - that being Greenville.  The first thing I noticed was that it is not even alphabetically correct. :huh:

Otherwise, I'll have to navigate the site a bit more before I form any other major concerns.  It may not be as easy, but I totally understand the concept. :)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You are quite wrong. The Spartanburg section was created first, which is why it is listed above Greenville. The only reason it is still like that is because I neglected to PM monsoon about it. Believe it or not folks, I do have a life outside of these forums (its true! :ph34r: ), and it is indeed a busy one.

Skyliner, you of all people should know that I am very objective when it comes to my hometown. I am not blind with boosterism and I know what it is and what is is not. I challenge anyone to find proof of the opposite.

My apologies to all who are offended by my error. Chill out folks, this is not a big deal :P

Im still confused as to why Spartanburg and Anderson are even mentioned with Greenville.  Greenville needs its own Forum.  Spartanburg can try all it wants to be like Greenville, but at the end of the day, a dump is still a dump.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

You sir, are an idiot.

If you have nothing constructive to say, then shut up. I have no use for unnecessary negative comments. Constructive criticism is welcome though.

----------------------------------------

Thanks to those who have posted the threads that I missed. I will try to get them all today, and hopefully find some others that I may have missed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Spartan had nothing to do with this. They were arranged in the order in which I added them to the forum. I usually go back and put them in alphabetical order, but I did not do so in this case. I really didn't think it was necessary for a subforum of two forums as they can't be that hard to find. But with that said, I have re-ordered them.

You are quite wrong. The Spartanburg section was created first, which is why it is listed above Greenville. The only reason it is still like that is because I neglected to PM monsoon about it. Believe it or not folks, I do have a life outside of these forums (its true! :ph34r: ), and it is indeed a busy one.

Skyliner, you of all people should know that I am very objective when it comes to my hometown. I am not blind with boosterism and I know what it is and what is is not. I challenge anyone to find proof of the opposite.

My apologies to all who are offended by my error. Chill out folks, this is not a big deal :P

----------------------------------------

Thanks to those who have posted the threads that I missed. I will try to get them all today, and hopefully find some others that I may have missed.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

My apologies for sounding harsh. :blush: I just found it somewhat annoying that Greenville was once again placed under another city for no apperent reason. In the SC Upstate subforums list, I figured it would make sense that G-ville would be at the top. I've given my reasons and stand by them. I'm sorry that I didn't know why and just spoke my mind. :) I'll do better.

Hey, this subforum thing isn't that bad really. I like the fact that it organizes threads even more than before. I think most of the "barking" was over missing threads and new navigation routes. Nothing we can't get used to. :thumbsup:

Heheheheh. Nothing creates division quite like division. :P

I can live with it as it is or with the wording switched to "Upstate SC Metros" or something of the like. It doesn't make sense to me for the parent forum to be re-named back to G-S-A now that it has two children. :lol:

Those children had best start getting along, too! :rofl:

Heheheheh.  Nothing creates division quite like division.  :P

I can live with it as it is or with the wording switched to "Upstate SC Metros" or something of the like.  It doesn't make sense to me for the parent forum to be re-named back to G-S-A now that it has two children.  :lol:

Those children had best start getting along, too!  :rofl:

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To all those that i offended by calling spartanburg a dump, I apoligize, didnt mean to make any enemies on this board. Ive just never been impressed with the city, first impression of Spartanburg was a bad one, and still hasnt changed even to this day.

Archived